Shields becomes first Nebraska player to win B1G Rookie of the week

hhcmatt

Shavon Sheilds

Via Huskers.com

Shields Earns Big Ten Honor
Nebraska freshman Shavon Shields was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Monday after setting a pair of career highs last week. The freshman from Olathe, Kan., averaged 23.5 points on 72 percent shooting, 7.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game in helping the Huskers to a 1-1 week. Shields led the Huskers in scoring and rebounding in both games last week.
Shields led Nebraska to a 68-64 win at Penn State with a career-high 29 points on 10-of-11 shooting and added six rebounds and a career-high three steals. His 29 points at PSU was one shy of Nebraska’s freshman scoring record and the most points scored by a Husker this season. He also totaled a then-career high 18 points and eight rebounds against Purdue on Wednesday.
Shields is the first Husker freshman to earn Big Ten Freshman of the Week and the first NU rookie honored by the conference since Toney McCray during the 2008-09 season.

Freshman of the Week
Shavon Shields, Nebraska
6-6, G/F, Olathe, Kan./Olathe Northwest

• Averaged 23.5 points on 72.7 percent shooting, seven rebounds and two steals in two games last week against Purdue and Penn State
  • Scored a then-career best 18 points against Purdue on Wednesday, adding eight rebounds in 37 minutes
  • Poured in a career-high 29 points in a road win against the Nittany Lions, shooting 90.9 percent from the floor (10-of-11), adding six rebounds and three steals
  • Earns his first career weekly honor
  • Last Nebraska Freshman of the Week: N/A

This post has been promoted to an article

The only question was:  Did he deserve conference player of the week as well?  I think if we had won both games he definitely would have been.

Here was the POTW

Player of the Week
Tim Hardaway Jr., Michigan
6-6, Jr., F, Miami, Fla./Palmetto

• Led Michigan to a win in its only game of the week, an 83-75 road victory over nationally ranked Minnesota on Thursday
  • Was nearly perfect from the field, shooting 87.5 percent (7-of-8), including 4-of-5 from three-point range, to finish with 21 points
  • Added five rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocks in 37 minutes against the Gophers
  • Helped Michigan to its first road win over a top-10 team since 1996
  • Earns his third career Player of the Week award and second this season
  • Last Michigan Player of the Week: Trey Burke (Jan. 7, 2013)

I have a feeling this is a cultural thing with the B1G. Freshmen stay in their little cages.

Shavon really should have taken both honors this week. But if he keeps this up, he'll get his. Although now the league will adjust to him, just like baseball. And it'll be interesting to see how he does with increased attention in game planning.

Might free things up for Talley/Ray a bit, tcp.  It never hurts to have another weapon in the ol' arsenal.

I'm pretty sure that's everyone's hope. Gallegos could use a little less pressure and Talley would do better not feeling like he was the only person who could score from a range under 26 feet.

I figure the next few games we might see the opponents best defenders switch over to shavon (at least bigger guards and more nimble forwards) which seems to me would help dylan out quite a bit since he's capable of driving.

I figure Groce will probably be the guy to unveil the inaugural "Stop Shields!" plan this season.