Husker women come home to tame the Wolverines

2017.01.22-Womens-Event-6a614aa9f8.jpg

Brian Rosenthal  Nebraska Cornhuskers
vs.
 Michigan Michigan Wolverines

Sunday, Jan. 22, 2 p.m.
Pinnacle Bank Arena

Live Video: BTN Plus
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network - Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
KRNU 90.3 FM - UNL; KBBK 107.3 FM - Lincoln; KXPN 590 AM - Omaha; KBRB 1400 AM - Ainsworth; KHAS 1230 AM - Hastings; 
KLIQ 94.5 FM - Hastings; KRGI 1430 AM - Grand Island; KRVN 106.9 FM - Kearney; KRVN 880 AM - Lexington; KZMC 102.1 FM - McCook;
KNCY 1600/105.5 AM/FM - Nebraska City; KHAQ 98.5 FM - North Platte; KNEB 94.1 FM - Scottsbluff; KSID 1340 AM - Sidney;
Inside PBA 87.7 FM
Free Live Audio: Huskers.com/Huskers App/TuneIn App

PEFMBWWLLYMAYIW.20161229030547.JPG

Huskers Return Home to Tangle with Wolverines

The Nebraska women’s basketball team returns to Pinnacle Bank Arena Sunday afternoon to battle Michigan. Tip-off between the Huskers (5-14, 1-6 Big Ten) and Wolverines (15-5, 4-2 Big Ten) in Lincoln is set for 2 p.m.

An inexperienced team of Huskers and a group of first-year coaches led by former Nebraska player Amy Williams has been challenged by the toughest schedule in school history through the first 19 games this season. Nebraska’s strength of schedule ranks No. 11 nationally. Michigan will be the 15th Husker opponent with 12 or more wins this season

The Huskers are led by 6-4 sophomore forward Jessica Shepard, who is averaging a double-double with 18.7 points and 10.4 rebounds per game. She owns 20 career double-doubles, including 10 this season, after going for 20 points and 12 rebounds at Penn State.

Michigan is one of the Big Ten’s most explosive offensive teams, averaging 79.4 points per game on the season. The Wolverines scored more than 100 points in each of the first three games this season. Michigan has added a pair of 90-point performances.

Nebraska has dominated the all-time series with Michigan, 11-1, including five consecutive victories

PROBABLE STARTERS:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
32 - Jessica Shepard - 6-4 - So. - F
22 - Allie Havers - 6-5 - Sr. - C
3 - Hannah Whitish - 5-9 - Fr. - G
5 - Nicea Eliely - 6-1 - Fr. - G
34 - Jasmine Cincore - 5-10 - Jr. - G

Michigan Wolverines
11 - Jillian Dunston - 5-11 - Jr. - F 
30 - Hallie Thome - 6-5 - So. - F
1 - Kysre Gondrezick - 5-9 - Fr. - G
2 - Siera Thompson - 5-7 - Sr. - G
3 - Katelynn Flaherty - 5-7 - Jr. - G

Scouting Michigan

Coach Kim Barnes Arico brings her fifth Michigan team to Lincoln looking to rebound from an 83-70 loss at No. 3 Maryland on Thursday
Michigan owns Big Ten home wins over Rutgers, Indiana and Minnesota and a Big Ten road win at Wisconsin. The Wolverines’ Big Ten losses have come on the road at No. 3 Maryland and then-No. 11 Ohio State.

Katelynn Flaherty leads the Wolverines with 19.7 points per game. Kysre Gondrezick, a strong candidate for the Big Ten All-Freshman team, has added 13.4 points and 3.1 rebounds per game. Hallie Thome provides Michigan with a strong inside presence, averaging 14.9 points and a team-best 7.5 rebounds per game. The 6-5 forward is shooting 62.9 percent from the field and leads Michigan with 37 blocks.

Husker Nuggets

Jessica Shepard produced one of the best individual performances in school history last season against the Wolverines with 35 points and 20 rebounds.

In the 12 all-time games with Michigan, only one of the games has been decided by single digits, a 76-68 Nebraska win on Feb. 13, 2014, in Ann Arbor.

Jessica Shepard became the second Husker in history to record 10 or more double-doubles in back-to-back seasons when she notched 20 points and 12 rebounds at Penn State.

Shepard leads the Huskers with averages of 18.7 points and 10.4 rebounds per game.

Nicea Eliely leads the Huskers in assists (51), steals (33) and blocks (15), while ranking second in scoring (7.8 ppg) and field goal percentage (.448). Eliely has started all 19 games this season as a true freshman.

Hannah Whitish is averaging 10.6 points, 2.1 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.6 steals in seven Big Ten games as a starter. Whitish also leads the Huskers with 31 three-pointers on the season. She ranks fifth among freshmen in Husker history with 31 threes and needs two more to catch Kaitlyn Burke.

The Huskers have knocked down at least one three-pointer in 270 straight regular-season games.

Nebraska has hit at least two three-pointers in 149 consecutive games.

Nebraska finished with a 9-9 Big Ten record to mark the fifth consecutive season the Huskers have posted a .500 or better Big Ten record.

BEAT THE WOLVERINES!

csul5b22nebr_(1500)_blk__.jpg

View full article

Edited by Row6Seat10

Coach Williams didn't even come out for her radio post game today. What does that tell you?

Michigan is a fine team but my goodness there was a lot of dribbling and standing around today. I can't figure out if they don't know how to run the offense or defense or if its lack of effort in some spots? Michigan was so much quicker than us it was scary. 

The two guys that sit behind and my wife are all world coaches. They don't have anything good to say the whole game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not sure why some people waste there time and fight the crowd and just be negative. Would be nice they would give there tickets to someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Stat wise today is one of the better ones.

Field goals            3's         FT's

NU       41%           35%       55.6 % (pretty sure we're in last place in B1G for season so far)         

Mich     57%           45%        76 %

Kind of proves the point..... "To win in basketball you have to be able to shoot the ball through the hoop"

Edited by redsteve

11 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Field goals            3's         FT's

NU       41%           35%       55.6 % (pretty sure we're in last place in B1G for season so far)         

Mich     57%           45%        76 %

Kind of proves the point..... "To win in basketball you have to be able to shoot the ball through the hoop"

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that today the team got above 40% in FGs and they were a bit low on FT% in league play.

Tough loss tonight. Didn't quite get some things tonight the substitution timing and personal on floor together, starting guards seem to set quite a few minutes. Not sure if all our players and coaches are on the same page on offense and defense. Coach not doing the postgame on the radio. Was kinda of a strange game today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Canadian4NU said:

We won't win many games with Jess only shooting the ball 8 times. Plus 3-4 of those shots had to be forced because the shot clock was expiring. 

WE NEED TO RUN PLAYS TO GET HER OPEN OR ONE ON ONE!!

Hard to do when she is the focus of the opposing team, she had three people on her today.

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that today the team got above 40% in FGs and they were a bit low on FT% in league play.

Yes, I understand...the lack of consistent scoring is another of the humps we need to get over. We shot really well today in 1st quarter, then go several minutes and don't score at all. We kind have a pattern of starting well and have then go cold and can't keep up and the other team gets ahead by 10 or so, and they continue to build on their lead. It's almost like we wake up the other team.

If you have 3 people collapsing you need to try and run some things for other players to loosen things up. 

It looked like the keystone cops at points yesterday. Not sure we can run other things to get other people involved. You need people that can make shots regularly as well.

We stand around too much waiting for someone to get open, they have to move more and have quick smart passes. Some of the girls have great screens and others are not even setting a close enough screen. At times they looked lost...and there where times there was lack of hustle..hustle down on defense. And if you are suppose to be a leader on the team...show it! Do the extra in the weight room, in the gym, and when asked of you! Don't think you are better then your teammates...need to start jelling ladies! I will say I am impressed with our Freshmen! Never give up Ladies and play with your Hearts!  #GBR