The OSU Inbounds Play

KZRider

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

My hope is that the guys realize how much is still out there to play for.  All it takes is a little run!

They know.

In 2014, the team was 9-9 (1-5) after 6 conference games and a 29 point loss at Michigan was looming still two weeks away (at which point we were 3-6 in league play).  Still, they managed to pull it together and go on a run that landed them a top-4 conference finish and a bid to San Antonio.

Just now, 49r said:

They know.

In 2014, the team was 9-9 (1-5) after 6 conference games and a 29 point loss at Michigan was looming still two weeks away (at which point we were 3-6 in league play).  Still, they managed to pull it together and go on a run that landed them a top-4 conference finish and a bid to San Antonio.

I have no doubt!  I am pumped at the possibilities left for this season, as we all are I think!

On 1/20/2017 at 8:44 AM, hhcdimes said:

The guys should be able to run it but have we even practiced a 2-3 zone the entire year? It's probably the right call defensively but how confident do you feel about running a defense that you might not have run for months?

We overthought this one a bit and hopefully we learn from that. 

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

What a horrible excuse and that is on the coach for not practicing other defensive schemes besides man to man.  Yes, I know we've used a 1-3-1 defense occasionally but we move away from it fairly quickly.  To not have practiced a 2-3 zone defense is inexcusable.  I'm a Miles fan but that is pathetic on his part!!!

6 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

What a horrible excuse and that is on the coach for not practicing other defensive schemes besides man to man.  Yes, I know we've used a 1-3-1 defense occasionally but we move away from it fairly quickly.  To not have practiced a 2-3 zone defense is inexcusable.  I'm a Miles fan but that is pathetic on his part!!!

Miles is on record for not liking to run zone so it's not some shock to hear they hadn't practiced this recently. TBH even if they had practiced I doubt he would have run it.

14 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

If Glynn does not fall, we are not even having this conversation.

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

If Glynn does not fall, we are not even having this conversation.

Precisely.  As for the 2-3 zone, did you watch when we tried to run it early in the year?  It was sad and our personnel didn't fit it well.  Why waste valuable practice time on something you aren't good at and don't plan on using.  Instead of dissing him for not practicing the 2-3, how about a little credit for the 1-3-1 that came from nowhere but helped us win a couple games?

16 hours ago, royalfan said:

2-3 zone isn't rocket science.  Plenty of time in the two timeouts to describe what to do.  Have to be able to think outside the box a little bit here and there.  My goodness. 

My point exactly.  Most these kids already know how to play a 2-3 defense as they learned it in middle or high school.  And you only have to run it for 1 second to defend giving up a layout.  Pretty lame excuse from Coach Miles.

3 hours ago, kldm64 said:

My point exactly.  Most these kids already know how to play a 2-3 defense as they learned it in middle or high school.  And you only have to run it for 1 second to defend giving up a layout.  Pretty lame excuse from Coach Miles.

Chances of screwing up and missing an assignment on a defense you haven't practiced in months >>> chances of your 2nd best player falling down

I don't think it's lame at all to not ask the team to play a defense they aren't used to, especially at a critical point of a game.  They had practiced defending that play before the game and other than Glynn tripping, they had it defended well.  

We just need to let it go.  Water under the bridge.

1 hour ago, Buglem said:

Chances of screwing up and missing an assignment on a defense you haven't practiced in months >>> chances of your 2nd best player falling down

I don't think it's lame at all to not ask the team to play a defense they aren't used to, especially at a critical point of a game.  They had practiced defending that play before the game and other than Glynn tripping, they had it defended well.  

We just need to let it go.  Water under the bridge.

Not it isn't, which is exactly why a zone should be ran. 

All coulda, woulda, shoulda, at this point.  

We could have Andrew White... but we don't.  

We should have beat GW, probably Clemson to... but we didn't.  

We would be on the bubble if we had beat GW, Clemson, Rutgers and One of OSU or NW... but we aren't.

We DO have the opportunity to make something of this season still.  We DO still have the opportunity to do damage in the rest of the Big 10 slate and we DO still have the opportunity pull it out of nowhere.  It is not too late.  So we need to move forward, move on, and win this damn thing tonight!