Ohio St. Buckeyes (11-7) vs. Nebraska (9-8) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

3 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Anyone else just wish the university would put us out of our misery and eliminate the program? We have been choking since B.C, days (and that's not Barry Collier)

Really really disappointing and really really  getting sick of this. Same thing every year. What's the definition of insanity? 

Dang.  That's harsh.

3 minutes ago, GATA said:

Meh. I'll be over this loss in about 30 minutes. That sucked, but I'll keep telling myself that the three freshmen will get better. They'll make shots and learn to move their feet on D.

Just sucks to waste a special season from Tai.

I feel like the last few seasons have been wasting special senior seasons. At some point the law of averages has to kick in on that right?

5 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Anyone else just wish the university would put us out of our misery and eliminate the program? We have been choking since B.C, days (and that's not Barry Collier)

Really really disappointing and really really  getting sick of this. Same thing every year. What's the definition of insanity? 

I'm more upset by what you wrote, given who you are, than any politician has done or said in years.  Do you really not see hope?

5 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Hang in there. Somebody will get it done...eventually.  If not Miles next year then maybe the guy after that.  Perhaps those that bitch about the fans will turn their attention to our mediocre home record since year 1 of PBA? Protecting the vault...nope. 

This loss goes directly to whoever designed the out of bounds defense on game winning shot. The ball was being taken out of bounds at a point where Jacobsen has to cut off the  angle so that Buckeyes can't have a lay up. He needed to be playing off the inbounders left hand about 5-6 feet and in line with the basket. This cuts off any lay up chances and also takes away any long passes that way as backboard is blocking any potential for a long cross court pass. And by playing off it also gives him time to read and possibly knock down/interecept a pass in that direction. In any last second defensive situation you want to force the offense to catch the ball moving away from the basket so the defense should've been forcing any potential shooter towards the OSU bench. I could've handled getting beat by a 15+ foot fade away but letting them drop the ball in the basket is unacceptable. I don't blame Watson at all. If Jacobsen is in the above described defensive position the pass can't be delivered to that spot and in bounder has to look for another option. This one falls directly to whoever gave defensive instructions in the last time out.

I know that @jayschool doesn't hang around much outside game threads, but do want to make note here for the record that, as crushed as we all were last night by that gut punch of a game, we should all take some degree of consolation that hey, at least we aren't Colorado:

Sun Jan 1 59 41 Utah L, 76-60 68   Away 10-4 0-1 a.gif
Thu Jan 5 68 123 Arizona St. L, 78-77 67   Away 10-5 0-2 b.gif
Sat Jan 7 68 17 Arizona L, 82-73 72   Away 10-6 0-3 a.gif
Thu Jan 12 69 12 UCLA L, 104-89 76   Home 10-7 0-4 a.gif
Sun Jan 15 73 56 USC L, 71-68 66   Home 10-8 0-5 b.gif
Wed Jan 18 78 124 Washington L, 85-83 78 OT Away 10-9 0-6 b.gif

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

I know that @jayschool doesn't hang around much outside game threads, but do want to make note here for the record that, as crushed as we all were last night by that gut punch of a game, we should all take some degree of consolation that hey, at least we aren't Colorado:

Well that's what they get for having a good football team this year. 

3 hours ago, 49r said:

HA! Love it! (Just because they pay my salary doesn't mean I have to root for their athletic teams, right?)

32 minutes ago, jayschool said:

HA! Love it! (Just because they pay my salary doesn't mean I have to root for their athletic teams, right?)

Reading their message board this season has really brought back vivid memories of the end of the Nee era at NU.  Unprecedented levels of success there (even though all they have to show for it is a fluky conference tourney win and one win in the NCAA tourney - both in the same year with Bzdelik's recruits) have them thinking that they as a program are on a level far higher, and deserve more.

They're gonna run the best coach they've had since Sox Walseth out of town trying to be Arizona or something and will end up with Barry Collier.

I get a little bit of Schadenfreude out of that. :)