Change up defense I wouldn't mind seeing

Huskerpapa

Under Danny, we used to run a 1-3-1 with a long player or Cookie Belcher at the top.  That length caused problems.  Again, this would only be a supplemental defense.  I would love to see David Rivers on top with Ray, Ubel and Shields across the middle and Talley on the baseline...or you could drop Ray down low and Talley on one of the wings.

Perhaps I am all wet, but I think showing this a few times each game would kick butt.

Yeah that 1-3-1 was great, but it wore the guys down quickly.  They tended to run it when they were behind by a lot and would usually be able to catch back up.  Problem is, once they caught back up they were so tired they couldn't keep the other team then from going on a big run, usually to close out the game.

With as short as our bench is, I'm not sure we can use it effectively.

I'd like to see more situational full court pressure, not for 40 minutes like you see from Altman coached teams or Connie Yori's squad, but a change of pace where we slap on some full court trapping stuff for a couple of possessions.  Probably can't see much of it this year but in the next couple as we get deeper, perhaps...

I prefer a 3-2 over a 1-3-1 if you are going with an odd front zone. Imo you get better perimeter coverage and it doesn't have as many gaping seams. One reason you don't see a lot of 1-3-1 in the higher levels is because of how easy it is to cause problems offensively with picks and seam penetration.

I really like the run and jump/scramble defenses from Dean Smith (of course). This gives you the ability to trap from different levels on the floor (full court, 2/3, 1/2 or any point you want), different angles and with different keys (trapping off the pass or dribble. You can even key the trap based on a particular player's possession). You can also be as aggressive or as safe as a trap can be and mix those up as well.  Once you teach the basic principles you then have the ability to start in any zone trap if that's what you want. It just has great flexibility. 

I"m a big fan of the Axe defense, myself. Any opposing player who gets within 27 feet of the hoop gets an axe in the face. It's great for wearing down another team's depth, and certainly discourages quality shot selection. If you go with smaller, one-handed throwing axes, you can even extend this defense out to the half court line.

The only vulnerability to this defense--aside from the frequent prosecution for homicide--is a full set of plate armor.

Under Danny, we used to run a 1-3-1 with a long player or Cookie Belcher at the top.  That length caused problems.  Again, this would only be a supplemental defense.  I would love to see David Rivers on top with Ray, Ubel and Shields across the middle and Talley on the baseline...or you could drop Ray down low and Talley on one of the wings.

Perhaps I am all wet, but I think showing this a few times each game would kick butt.

1-3-1 is tough to pull off with college level shooters.   The year we were successful with that was when we put Carl Hayes on top who was freakishly long and also very athletic.  But what made it work was we also had great size on the wings - often even had 7'2 Rich King on a wing with Farmer in the middle and Beau Reid on the other wing. 

Don't really remember us doing that as much with the teams Cookie was on - but Cookie was so crazy athletic and such a great defender that lots of defenses were going to work with him on the court.