Michigan Game and Officiating

KZRider

I am going to start a new thread on this because I would like to be able to learn from the rest of you.

To lay a framework:

1) The Michigan game was decided by how the game was officiated. We went 4 of 5. They went 26 of 30. The rest of the stats either were about even or favored us.

2) I have always assumed that officiating TENDS to favor the home team but a 22 pt disparity is hard to fathom.

3) Unless someone has a smoking gun to the contrary, the refs were probably not engaged in some nefarious effort to purposely give the game to Michigan. Toward that end, please don't just say things like, "the refs were awful." HOW were they awful?

4) As I watched the game, Michigan and Nebraska both played with about the same measure of physicality though one would think the team running offense that "loves the rim" would get more calls rather than so MANY fewer.

With those thoughts and perhaps other factors that ought to be considered, what was it about how we played today that could possibly explain the disparity fouls called? I welcome your insights.

Edited by KZRider

I am not sure anything can be added to your commentary.  I have historically said that as long as there is consistency with the calls, I can survive.  There were calls made against us and not against Michigan, that is what is perplexing.  One example was when Jack apparently grabbed #22 when he was crossing the lane.  I am not saying it wasn't a foul, but it needs to then be called both ways; and it wasn't. 

It is hard for me to understand or explain how we can continue to go to the rim, we can be grabbed, pushed, or bumped and nothing is called?  Glynn doesn't go to the line once.  Really?  Tia goes to the line twice, maybe three times.  Really?

I also remember some call being made that was perhaps a 50/50 call.  The ref then immediately called a touch foul on us and gave possession back to Michigan.  Again, I am looking for consistency in calls, and that did not happen tonight.

And what is even more frustrating, it never, ever feels like we are on the good side of this kind of disparity.

I don't have an easy answer for you.  It seemed like there was some questionable calls.  One in particular, was Jordy going up, the Michigan shooter when into him (He was 6'0"  about 180 pounds).  They called a foul on Jordy because he bumped into him.  It seems when Webster went to the rim, the Michigan player would do the same thing Jordy did, and the refs swallowed this whistle.  I can live with making the call on Jordy, it looked like contact, but when there is contact the other of the court, you have to call it.

Another play was Watson goes to the rim, the Michigan player slides under him as he's going into his shooting motion, they call a block on the Michigan player.  Which it was because he was going into his shooting motion before the Michigan player was set.  So, they go to the monitor and decided that they were not going to give Watson any free throws?  I have zero idea why?  Yet, we can't check to see if Iowa should be allowed 2 points, when they clearly didn't earn them?  Then, they call a BS foul on McVeigh away from the ball because the crowd disagreed with the call.

Another play, where maybe the rule has changed (somebody can help me out).  Roby knocked the ball inbounds, ran out of bounds for 3 steps, and was going to grab the ball, but thought it was a violation (which I'm pretty sure it is a violation).  He was hoping his teammates would grab it.  Finally, he just picked it up, and was not called for a violation.

I know the refs aren't doing it on purpose, but it seems like a bunch of calls went against us.

I just watched the last minute of the Illinois/Maryland game.  It was awful.  Maryland threw the ball inbounds, it went out of bounds off of Illinois.  The ref gives the ball to Maryland, correctly.  However, we spend 90 seconds checking to make sure he was right.  Maryland inbounds the ball again, this time they knock the ball around, and the Illinois guy fouls the Maryland guy.  The refs call a foul, now we have to go to the scorer's table for 2 minutes to see if it was a flagrant foul, which the refs correctly said it was not.  About 20 seconds, pass Illinois goes to the free throw line for a 1-and-1.  The Illinois guy misses the free throw.  The ball goes out of bounds off Maryland, which the refs correctly call.  Now, we go to the monitor for another 90 seconds to make sure it was the correct call.  We wasted about 4 to 5 minutes in the last minute of the game reviewing plays.  Why are plays in the last 2 minutes, more important than plays in the first 2 minutes?

I think I can answer my own question here but why are all these guys, officals in college sports and pros so damn old?

Are young guys not getting a chance to move up.  Are they just not new guys wanting to officate?

I think some of it is nobody wants to go and get yelled at and sometimes threatened anymore.  

I don't know it just seems off.  All the time all the games.

50 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I think I can answer my own question here but why are all these guys, officals in college sports and pros so damn old?

Are young guys not getting a chance to move up.  Are they just not new guys wanting to officate?

I think some of it is nobody wants to go and get yelled at and sometimes threatened anymore.  

I don't know it just seems off.  All the time all the games.

Silver you and I need the exercise, so maybe we should get to the reffing profession. We couldn't do any worse.

What I am hearing so far is no one can say. The refs, apparently, just did a really bad job. In my business there are certain key result areas that we assign numerical standards to and, when we find that employees are failing to meet them, they are held accountable in a variety of ways. It helps the employees to be held accountable. How are officials held accountable? Is it a league thing or an NCAA thing? A combination? And what standards are used? Or is it just a "feel?" This kind of game should be a red flag to whomever is supervising. It really stinks because their poor performance, not the team's play, hurt the Huskers' standing in the league and chances for an NCAA tourney bid.

From what I saw watching this game again this morning, it seems to me that 2 things about the calls led to a foul dis parity

1. The refs basically refused to blow the whistle in traffic. Basically if it wasn't a 1 on 1 type situation, they were not blowing the whistle. So with Michigan's spacing and shooters, the times they attacked the rim were 1 on 1, and they were much more likely to get a call than our offense, because Michigan was collapsing multiple people into the lane. 

2. We got called for a ton of fouls away from the ball or on loose balls/rebounds. Michigan was in the bonus so quickly in the 2nd half that they got a lot of free throws from non shooting situations. 

ya.  If you gain possession and pass to yourself it would be double dribble if he had used his dribble.  If he hadn't used the dribble he could resume dribbling it or pick it up regardless. I think that makes sense. Probably subjective to whether or not Roby had possession.   

Two words - Tom Eades.

Nebraska almost always gets the short end of the stick when his crew officiates and, I swear, he seems to do every Nebraska game.  Goes back to the 'BOOM' incident when calling the technical on Shields - great display of impartiality on his part.  For some reason he has a broomstick up the ol' bunghole regarding Nebraska.

Officials make mistakes. 

Two things that drive me crazy though. 

1.   Officials who think they are part of or bigger than the game.  Do your job.  Don't get noticed and accept that you are not going to please everyone.  You don't need to respond to every comment directed your way. 

2. The team that aggressively attacks the rim not getting rewarded for drawing the fouls they draw. Just because a team is stronger and more aggressive doesn't mean the other team can beat the hell out of them without fouls being called. 

Too many egregious calls though.  Not giving Watson free throws on the replay at Michigan and the tip in fiasco versus Iowa come to my head. I don't see how three seemingly qualified officials can ALL come up with the same wrong answer. 

But......officiating didn't lose us this game

2 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Officials make mistakes. 

Two things that drive me crazy though. 

1.   Officials who think they are part of or bigger than the game.  Do your job.  Don't get noticed and accept that you are not going to please everyone.  You don't need to respond to every comment directed your way. 

2. The team that aggressively attacks the rim not getting rewarded for drawing the fouls they draw. Just because a team is stronger and more aggressive doesn't mean the other team can beat the hell out of them without fouls being called. 

Too many egregious calls though.  Not giving Watson free throws on the replay at Michigan and the tip in fiasco versus Iowa come to my head. I don't see how three seemingly qualified officials can ALL come up with the same wrong answer. 

But......officiating didn't lose us this game

It didn't help either.

On 1/14/2017 at 7:28 PM, huskercwg said:

And what is even more frustrating, it never, ever feels like we are on the good side of this kind of disparity.

Naturally, everyone believes that they, personally, are the exception and can be totally objective about the the officiating; I'm no exception.  Having said that, I totally agree with the comment above.  I can't recall a time when I walked away from a game thinking, "Wow, we got all the calls that game."   Seems like it's worse at home for some reason too.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, I was listening to the Miles' post game show.  The play where he rightfully got a technical foul in particular.  He said that the refs told him that since the player had one foot inbounds he could be the first to touch the ball.  Miles, agrees with me, saying that is not the case.  He has to reestablish position.  He then was told he did not go out of bounds on his own accord.  Another false statement.    He asked the refs, "Did we push him out of bounds?"  They didn't have an answer for him. 

They also had the fiasco before half, where Jacobson got fouled, the ref said the ball was tipped.  Let the teams go to the locker room for 5 minutes, made them come back out, put 0.7 seconds on the clock, and changed their mind, saying the ball wasn't tipped.  Miles was rightfully livid there.  They not only missed a foul call, they said the ball was tipped, but gave the ball to Northwestern.

For a team that has 2 guards that are very skilled at taking the ball to the rack, we get minimal calls in the paint. Yet if our weak young kids breath on someone in the paint we hear the whistle. The offensive call on Roby where he was backing his guy down was comical. And how the hell does Pardon get called for his first foul with about 6 min left? 

3 hours ago, Jugular said:

For a team that has 2 guards that are very skilled at taking the ball to the rack, we get minimal calls in the paint. Yet if our weak young kids breath on someone in the paint we hear the whistle. The offensive call on Roby where he was backing his guy down was comical. And how the hell does Pardon get called for his first foul with about 6 min left? 

This has been my beef with officiating the last couple years.  Calls are fluid.  They will call a small touch foul that has zero affect on the play and yet last night guys (on both teams) were going knocked down going to the rim.  How many times have you seen a guy take the ball to the rim, get crossed checked (can I use a hockey term here?) and have his shot blocked.  When a coach barks at the official he gives the coach the ole signal that the defender got all ball.  

Refs didn't lose the game last night but they did suck ( I don't even recall seeing "Bo" and the other guy before, but Eades always does). All they needed to do was actually look at one of the interminable replays before halftime to realize how bad they really were. Jacobson clearly missed the shot because his arm was hit by a Northwestern player. If they hit the ball then we should have gotten it back. The only other explanation would be that Jacobson shot the ball off the top of the backboard from two feet away. If so, it was the only time last night he left a missed shot long.

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Refs didn't lose the game last night but they did suck ( I don't even recall seeing "Bo" and the other guy before, but Eades always does). All they needed to do was actually look at one of the interminable replays before halftime to realize how bad they really were. Jacobson clearly missed the shot because his arm was hit by a Northwestern player. If they hit the ball then we should have gotten it back. The only other explanation would be that Jacobson shot the ball off the top of the backboard from two feet away. If so, it was the only time last night he left a missed shot long.

Jimmy I am not sure anyone is blaming the officials last night for the loss unless I missed it or the Senile that is has set in again.  My post was in general about how the game is officiated now.