uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 17 - @ Michigan

uneblinstu

Man, this game was get-able...

- The loss of Ed was evident almost immediately.

- I thought NU battled pretty well most of the game, just couldn't get the stop when they needed them.

- The defense was disappointing. Michigan is a really good offensive team, but they got a lot of open looks and did what they do.

- Tai was a force of nature. He has become the kind of player that it seems like only other teams have.

- That said, it seems like a lot of times when Tai drives refs don't call fouls to the degree that they should. This is frustrating.

- Glynn was better today than he was on Sunday, but he was missing in the first half. Might have been a different game if he could have found some flow early.

- Jacobson battles on the boards but he's a little overmatched offensively inside.

- Saw some really nice things from Jordy. Thought we'd have seen more of him in the 2nd half.

- The emergence of Evan Taylor offensively is a nice little bonus. Hope that continues.

- Didn't see much of Horne in the 2nd either.

- Looks like Jack has found his shot somewhat.

- I don't have much to say about Roby.

- I guess it just comes down to NU not quite being able to replace the energy and toughness of Ed.

- The next two games are crucial. Gotta have 'em both. Things get more difficult after that.

Edited by uneblinstu

This was perhaps our worst defensive performance of the year.  Mystifying to me.  Yes, Ed was gone, but man, we have to adjust during the game and didn't do it.  Shameful because that was a winnable game.  We need Ed back sooner rather than later. 

Edited by huskercwg

15 minutes ago, brfrad said:

This game is summed up pretty easily.  One team went 4 for 5 from the free throw line.  The other team goes 26 for 30.

And we still only lost by 6. This was a tough one to watch.  How many times did we go down by 8 or 10, just to get it back to a one possession game but unable to get over the hump. We were right there!!!

Edited by Lifetimesker

55 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Yes, it was.

There's really not much to evaluate in this one.  One team settled for a soft, WNBA/Euro-style offense focused on jump shots.  That team shot 30 free throws.  The other team was the aggressor offensively for 40 minutes, with the vast majority of its points made in the paint through contact.  That team shot 5 free throws.  We could talk the impact of Ed's absence, missed opportunities, and turnovers, but all of those things combined are not nearly as important as the unbalanced officiating.

I thought we played really hard against a coaching philosophy (slow down, pick and pop, stretch bigs) that typically give Miles' teams trouble.  They shot 50% from three and our defense beyond the arc was abysmal.  Still, we looked like the better team at many points in the game, and had it to a 2 point game with under 5 minutes in a very tough environment.  Can't complain too much about that.  

I agree that Jordy should've gotten more minutes in the second half.  I thought he looked better out there than Jacobson in the first half at times.  

Refs were garbage, but I thought Michigan had very good offensive execution the whole night.  I think we'll get our first conference win against them at the end of the season.  

Our defense was not good. It's like we forgot their bigs were good shooters.

There were more phantom fouls, especially in the 2nd half that I can remember in a long time. There were also 3 times that we were shooting when fouls were called, but for some reason did not get ftee throws

Looks like another year of "every team has their best 3pt shooting game of the year against us" kinda year. Very frustrating. But these last two losses were winnable.

If we play the same way against Ohio St at home and @ Rutgers we should win. I believe Michigan and NW are both better teams than the next two opponents.

If there was ever a game to blame on the officials. this was it.

we shot 56% from the field and Michigan shot 54%. AND we took an extra 14 shot attempts....

but michigan took 30 free throws vs our 5. thats crazy.

having said that i feel like this team has lost it's sense of urgency. i haven't seen the same energy the last 2 games. Watson and Webster are the only consistent guys we have right now. We desperately need to win the next 2 to stay alive before the difficult part of our schedule hits.

Edited by TimSmiles

Back to back games where we play well but the opposing team just played better. Our three point defense is woeful and needs a whole lot of work. Those looks they gave Walton were back breaking. The officiating was extremely sub-par and its not like they were influenced by the crowd because there hardly was a crowd to begin with. Game was winnable. Michigan just always had an answer. We'll see em on senior night. 

By the way, kudos to Nick who has seen the light of day until today, and played a few good minutes.  Kudos to Glynn, he was somewhat absent in the first half, but had a good second half.  Kudos to Tai, he likely tried to do too much today, but we needed the senior and he stepped up.