uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 17 - @ Michigan

uneblinstu

6 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

In the Northwestern game I saw a gif of a double team gone wrong turned into an easy 3 look where I thought it was a breakdown in our zone until I realized the rest of the team was playing man

Horne is good but he's not good enough to talent his way through blowing assignments.  He sure as shit isn't good enough to talent his way through a game where scoring isn't a problem at all and he doesn't matchup well against most anyone on the court like this Michigan game. If he's got to ride bench until he figures it out, I'll take that over watching him Tony McCray his way through 4 years here.

There is a line to walk with this though. McCray is a good example, after a while he was so scared that he was going to do something that was going to get him benched, that he played hesitant.

8 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

There is a line to walk with this though. McCray is a good example, after a while he was so scared that he was going to do something that was going to get him benched, that he played hesitant.

Yes, and the best coaches walk this line well.  Some not so well, but I still generally will go with the coach over message board fans who react strongly after a loss on the use of playing time and substitutions to get the most out of the guys.  Think of all the hand-wringing on here about not starting Glynn for a game and a half.  A major capital offense.   Yeah, just ruined the guy, all he's done since is play fantastic and get the praise of coaches throughout the league. 

Easy to forget, but Jeriah played primarily in the post/paint last year (in HS).  Not the easiest transition moving from HS to high Division I  basketball.  Compound that by moving from the paint to the perimeter.  Jeriah will learn and adapt, but some struggle more than others.  I am simply amazed by his shot given his HS role! 

Horne will be fine, better than fine, he just isn't quite ready for a lot of minutes.

I really like the kid and I think/hope having a dad who played at a high level D1 that he can help him though the rough spots.

Kind of like Roby, ever notice he doesn't even know how to check into games?  Mostly likely been on the court the whole time in every game he has played in since 5th grade.  About four times this year he has just run onto the floor right past the scorers table, and they have to call him back.:)

From my perspective as a fan/observer, and one who never played any meaningful organized basketball, I'm really coming to appreciate how mentally challenging it must be to play at this level of basketball.  Just putting aside the physical and athletic aspect for a moment, players at the college level really have to adjust and evolve mentally coming out of high school to the intricacies of a more sophisticated level of basketball.  And maybe the offensive and defensive systems aren't all that different to high school, but certainly the speed at which the game is played really requires split second situational decision making that must be, at least for some more than others, quite an adjustment. 

I have huge confidence that the freshmen will progress, but it will take time and repetition.  And some players adjust more quickly than others, it's just part of the individual aspect of the game.  Think how much better Jordy will be, for example, by the time he is a junior. 

Yes, and the best coaches walk this line well.  Some not so well, but I still generally will go with the coach over message board fans who react strongly after a loss on the use of playing time and substitutions to get the most out of the guys.  Think of all the hand-wringing on here about not starting Glynn for a game and a half.  A major capital offense.   Yeah, just ruined the guy, all he's done since is play fantastic and get the praise of coaches throughout the league. 

And to add to that, he's going to transfer out after the year is done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk