Bad news...Ed Morrow Jr. Sidelined

Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

I'm sure it is

We were told then that it was plantar fascitis.  This is a foot injury confirmed by an MRI.  Probably not the same issue.  I suspect it happened prior to or during the NW game; Ed was not himself during much of that game. 

Here's the way I see this:  for the next game or two, Morrow just picked up three cheap fouls in the first two minutes of the game and basically sits for nearly all of the forty minutes.  We adjust and other players pick up their games.

Now you must excuse me.  I have to feed my purple unicorn who poops rainbows.....

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

the next 3 games should be winnable with or without ed. hopefully he's not out more than a couple weeks.

I'm not ready to chalk it up as a L...but, by the numbers...winning @Mich is one of the least likely wins remaining on our schedule.  With that said, I do agree we can beat Ohio State and Rutgers without him.  Hopefully 17 days rest is enough time and he will be back on the floor to provide some minutes vs Purdue on 1/29. 

Okay, I have had some time now to let this resonate and give it more detailed thought....nope, it still sucks.

First, Ed is not replaceable by anyone currently on our team.  To think that is not true, see Cip above.  MJ will have to play Ed's role to a certain extent, but more minutes down under by Isaiah and Jordy are a must.  Isaiah and Jordy, time to remove your diapers.  You are no longer freshmen.  Get your aggressive shorts out of the dresser, put them on, you need to play big boy basketball now.  We will likely have a Nick sighting as well.  He plays the four and four is where we are going to need to buy a few minutes.

As far as Jeriah and Jack, their roles should not be altered much other than when they are in, they need to defend because we do not have that eraser behind you...and oh yeah, they need to score as well.

Edited by huskercwg

16 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Okay, I have had some time now to let this resonate and give it more detailed thought....nope, it still sucks.

First, Ed is not replaceable by anyone currently on our team.  To think that is true, see Cip above.  MJ will have to play Ed's role to a certain extent, but more minutes down under by Isaiah and Jordy are a must.  Isaiah and Jordy, time to remove your diapers.  You are no longer freshmen.  Get your aggressive shorts out of the dresser, put them on, you need to play big boy basketball now.  We will likely have a Nick sighting as well.  He plays the four and four is where we are going to need to buy a few minutes.

As far as Jeriah and Jack, their roles should not be altered much other than when they are in, they need to defend because we do not have that eraser behind you...and oh yeah, they need to score as well.

They're not freshmen? So, they only have two more years of eligibility?

That pretty much sucks. 

I wonder why Miles recruited kids who would only be freshmen for half a season. Doesn't seem terribly wise. 

These basketball gods are just flat out repulsive to us.  This would be like Northwestern being close to the tournament, and one of their studs gets hurt.  Can they please lighten up on us just one time?

This is still a team that will go as Watson goes.  If Watson can get 20 + night in and night out, this team can still win without Morrow.  We just need Roby, Jacobson, Horne, McVeigh to crash the boards.  If we can get through these next 3, 2-1, and get Morrow back, I like our chances.

3 hours ago, HB said:

We were told then that it was plantar fascitis.  This is a foot injury confirmed by an MRI.  Probably not the same issue.  I suspect it happened prior to or during the NW game; Ed was not himself during much of that game. 

Well not to be a wiener but Ed actually had problems with both feet last year. You're right, one foot was a plantar fasciitis and the other foot was a stress reaction/fracture. 

For Ed's sake I'd rather him be injury free but since he's got the injury already I'd prefer it to be something he actually did to his foot on a particular play versus one of the things he had last year. Both of those options are more lingering wear and tear overuse injuries. We want those issues to be behind him. 

11 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

Well not to be a wiener but Ed actually had problems with both feet last year. You're right, one foot was a plantar fasciitis and the other foot was a stress reaction/fracture. 

For Ed's sake I'd rather him be injury free but since he's got the injury already I'd prefer it to be something he actually did to his foot on a particular play versus one of the things he had last year. Both of those options are more lingering wear and tear overuse injuries. We want those issues to be behind him. 

Gocha, you are correct.  I was forgetting the other foot problem.  To bad; hope this doesn't drag on for his whole career. 

I feel he is one of the more important guys to our team. But I'm not a pro at making that type of evaluation as well as other stuff the top posters point out on this site, that's why I like it. I'm just a die hard Nebraska bball fan just wanting to be competitive and in the tourney every year.  I hope Jordy, Isaiah, and Horne can step up and replace what Ed always brings to every game. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have Morrow on the court.  He does a bunch of the dirty work for us.  It's why we are among the conference leaders in offensive rebounds.  However, in our wins, he is averaging 10.7 and 6.7.  In our losses, he is averaging 9.3 and 9.4.  Watson, in our wins has 16.8 PPG.  In our losses, he is avg. 11.9 PPG. 

5 minutes ago, LK1 said:

No replacing Morrow, but this had better mean Jordy gets thrown into the fire.  I'd like to see him get 20 minutes a night when Ed is gone.  He's capable of 10pts, 10rbs if we just let him play a bit.   

as long as he doesn't foul out in the first five minutes of the game, sure

No replacing Morrow, but this had better mean Jordy gets thrown into the fire.  I'd like to see him get 20 minutes a night when Ed is gone.  He's capable of 10pts, 10rbs if we just let him play a bit.   

You might get your wish. On the news last night they said Jordy would be likely replacement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I can't put my finger on it, and maybe someone else on this board can explain it, but there are so many little things that Morrow does to help the team out that other players like Tshimanga hasn't displayed. Maybe it's that Ed provides a certain threat on offense that helps ease some of the burden off of the guards, he finds a way to get to the ball off of a rebound, and he's aggressive on both sides of the court. Jordy possesses some of that, but not to the point of being enough of a threat to make his teammate's jobs a little easier. Curious to hear other people's thoughts.

14 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Assuming he can stay out of foul trouble he's going to get 20 minutes. The pattern of him playing more minutes when Ed plays less is fairly straightforward. Considering how well Ed has played (and Jacobson recently) it's not super surprising that the very big but raw Jordy hasn't seen much PT. Did anyone notice Barret Benson played 0 minutes against us for NW?

His best game easily was Kansas where he put up 10pts and 8reb in 19 minutes so he is capable. He also has 6 games this year where he has more fouls than points.

12 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Another option (more so for change of pace) will be that we go small.  If we open the lane offensively, it may allow us to get to the rim off of the dribble.  But defensively it would be problematic.  Perhaps it would put us in line to play our 1-3-1 zone?

Love the idea!!

Hate the idea of what could happen if Michigan is shooting at or above normal.