2017 Husker volleyball

AuroranHusker

3 hours ago, WestOHusker said:

John Cook is the 2nd best coach to coach at this university. Only behind Dr. Tom

Not that my views are any different, but for the sake of being devil's advocate on this one, who's to say John Cook isn't the best coach at the university (not taking into account how influential Tom Osborne is)?

Cook got 4 national titles, 13 conference championships, 6th winningest coach in NCAA volleyball history, and won 88.5% of his matches over an 18 year span.

Osborne got 3 national titles, 13 conference championships, 7th winningest coach in NCAA football history, and won 83.6% of his games over a 24 year span.

Just some interesting fodder for mindless discussion. ;)

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Not that my views are any different, but for the sake of being devil's advocate on this one, who's to say John Cook isn't the best coach at the university (not taking into account how influential Tom Osborne is)?

Cook got 4 national titles, 13 conference championships, 6th winningest coach in NCAA volleyball history, and won 88.5% of his matches over an 18 year span.

Osborne got 3 national titles, 13 conference championships, 7th winningest coach in NCAA football history, and won 83.6% of his games over a 24 year span.

Just some interesting fodder for mindless discussion. ;)

Osborne gets the nod in my opinion because of the competitiveness of football versus volleyball. There are only 15-20 schools that take volleyball very seriously and ensure that their volleyball team is as competitive as possible. Comparatively, every school does such in football.

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

because of the competitiveness of football"

Are you sure about Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State in football during the 70's and 80's?  

Have you looked at how the BIG 10 shakes out volleyball?  the BIG 10 had 8 teams in the tournment this year, and on any given night all but two of the teams can beat you.

I think Cook is amazing.  So was Dave van Horn, he turned around a pretty average baseball program.  That said, Tom Osborne built a program that dominated the sport for nearly a decade.  I still have to have T.O. at the top of any Nebraska list.  And oh yeah, it is hard not to have Bob Devaney at or very, very close to the top of the list.  That man built the foundation for all sports programs at UNL. 

And I almost forgot Bill Straub.  All he has done is:

Three NTCA Coach of the Year Awards (2005, 2013, 2017)

• Five NCAA Team Championships (2004, 2005, 2009, 2013, 2015)
  • Five IBC Women's National Championships (1991, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001)
  • Two IBC Men's National Championships (1990, 1996)
  • Nine NTCA Collegiate Bowlers of the Year
  • Four NTCA Collegiate Rookies of the Year
  • 31 bowlers have made a combined 65 NTCA All-America teams
  • 41 bowlers have made a combined 75 NTCA All-Academic teams
  • 14 bowlers have been selected to national teams
  • Nebraska Bowling Hall of Fame inductee
  • Omaha Bowling Hall of Fame inductee
  • Lincoln Bowling Hall of Fame inductee

9 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I think Cook is amazing.  So was Dave van Horn, he turned around a pretty average baseball program.  That said, Tom Osborne built a program that dominated the sport for nearly a decade.  I still have to have T.O. at the top of any Nebraska list.  And oh yeah, it is hard not to have Bob Devaney at or very, very close to the top of the list.  That man built the foundation for all sports programs at UNL. 

That simply means Devaney was the most influential coach, which doesn't necessarily equate to best.