uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 15 - Iowa

hhcmatt

I didn't know there was such a thing as a clutch rebounder until I watched Morrow play this year.  The defensive rebound/save he had falling to the floor was spectacular.  And, once again, he came up with a huge offensive rebound in the final minutes to help us win the game.  I've been high on the kid since watching his high school film--there's just too much physical and mental toughness in his genes to fail.  He's everything I thought he'd be.  Glad to see it panning out.  Great young player among a few great young players.  

I can't say enough about Jacobson either.  A fire has been lit, to say the least, and I think he's starting to settle into his new body.  7pts and 13rbs and 3blks against a very talented frontcourt for Iowa are man's numbers.  He's been an absolute warrior in the last two games.  

We have the best backcourt in the conference. 

7 hours ago, royalfan said:

Almost deserves its own thread, but has anyone ever seen anyone play better defense with 4 fouls as Webster did considering the caliber of player he was checking.  That won us the ballgame. 

Not sure how many noticed but during regulation after Tai got his 3rd foul Miles switched the defensive matchups so Taylor was guarding Jok.  Jok scored on two straight trips down the floor and Tai yelled over to Miles to put him back on Jok - which happened shortly thereafter.   I wondered when Tai got that 4th foul if Miles thought about making the change but figured Tai would explode if he tried to take him off Jok at the end.   Absolutely great game by Tai.  Jok got a lot of points but many of them did come when switches or other defensive changes had him covered by other guys.  Whenever Jok found himself covered by anyone other than Tai he knew he could score.  He got some points off Tai also - but it was a battle and Tai won his share especially at the end.

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

This is what I found in 2014-2015 rulebook: It looks to me that they just have to keep at least one foot in the 3 feet wide throw in location...Pivot foot does not matter

Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:

a The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in 4-11.1.a through .c.

b. The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation.

c. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in.

d. The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until he has released the ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line.

Thanks!  I assumed, like Norm, that traveling rules applied.  (Like refs ever call traveling,  anyway)

Hate to say it, because I like the kid, but the big turning point in the game IMO was when we were up 9 in the second half and coach put McViegh in.  Iowa promptly goes on an 10-1 run to tie the game.  I feel like we should have put them away at that point, but didn't have the defense we needed to get to that 16 point spot.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Reputation point for finding a way to work in AWIII into our win.

I couldn't be happier for Tim Miles and this team and especially Evan Taylor. FTR Taylor is actually a really good FT shooter. It is really inexplicable what happened in this game at the charity stripe. In that 2nd OT the refs absolutely blew that call when the Iowa player made the tip after Jok had fouled Webster.

When a game gets to the 2nd OT winning is all about grit and heart, and this team has both. At the end of the game with both Watson and Jok on the bench it showed that Nebraska was the better team.

Speaking of Webster and Jok they were both unconscious from the floor. Interestingly though Jok missed a couple of key shots down the stretch in the 2nd OT and eventually fouled out. When that happened and we had the lead I knew it was going to be a Husker victory. Three 1st team all conference players on the court tonight in Watson, Webster and Jok. It's worth repeating again and again and again, it is good thing TM didn't give up on Tai after his Freshman and Sophomore year like some many Huskers fans, who thought he would be a bust and should have been asked to go play for another team.

As the guy who was sitting next to me said (he's also a member of this board) thank goodness our game on Sunday against Northwestern @1:15pm is a home game. Whether we would have won or lost the Iowa game, a short turnaround road trip would have been daunting. Now our guys get to rest up at home.

That 5th foul on Watson was a horrible call as well. Watson did not jump into the the defender. The foul call happened after Webster had taken the shot and was on his way down. The When a player takes a shot they are allowed to land. That play is similar to a player on the basket being under cut after they take shot.

Lastly, looked to me like something physically was wrong with Webster. Looked like he was holding in stomach in the 2nd half. In OT when he was fouled he got up really slow and had visibly hurt his lower back. This is something to keep an eye on, especially considering how many minutes Tai plays and the fact that he likes to drive to the hoop and takes a lot of hard fouls.

I think that Tai's kidneys are peeing blood last night after play 49 minutes of that game.  That is why he was holding his back.  

But I do agree, I hope that these young bodies and legs can bounce back Sunday and even later in the year.

Good thing no school so they can sleepand get treatments, food, water, ect...

7 hours ago, throwback said:

One of the grittiest performances by an NU team I've ever seen - it would've been a great game even if NU hadn't won ... but I'd rather type that after winning.

Hated to see Taylor miss those FTs, but he didn't sulk on defense, which was good - his d on bohanan on Iowa's next to last possession was tremendous. And I loved the way his teammates rallied around him in the timeouts, after the game, etc. That shows a lot of why this team is playing the way it is right now.

But most amazing thing is the way NU is playing defense down the stretch without fouling - so tough to do when you're gassed, yet it's now a pattern.

• Iowa shot 2 FTs - TWO - in the final 13 minutes (regulation/OT/OT). 
  • Maryland shot 0 FTs in the final 6 minutes Sunday

That's the only way to come back from tough (if not almost impossible) deficits in both games. Make them earn it. And Tai is the poster child for that, the way he guarded Jok after getting foul #4 was a clinic. He didn't foul, yet he didn't just give in and let Jok do what he wanted either. He played physical and smart and remained a factor in the game.

Did anybody else see Coach Lewis meet Taylor as he came to the bench when we knew we where going to overtime?

He punched him in the chest and got in his face... but in that good we are going to win this and you are going to help us do it way.  Gave me goose bumps, because you could see that Evan took it to heart and set his shoulders and straightened up right then.

Good coaching, knowing to either pat or kick a butt.

Edited by Silverbacked1

52 minutes ago, big red22 said:

ehhh... delete this!!! I don't like how the next 7 games looks if indeed it continues to be a palindrome

I actually saw the same thing so glad someone else posted it.  But, actually, if the pattern continues, it's going to be 4 more wins followed by 3 losses, a win, 3 more losses and then 4 more wins.  I'd go with that.

8 hours ago, royalfan said:

He didn't have his best game but I like his gunslinger mentality.  We need someone like that on our team.  I am a diehard Pacer fan and for some reason Horne reminds me just a little bit of the rifleman Chuck Person. 

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Kinda reminds of Joe McCray.  That is, Joe McCray in an alternate universe where he didn't eat fast food and was surrounded by talent.

Did someone mention my avatar's name?!?!  He goes by Joe Mc"Crazy" in my house fyi.  I ALSO think Horne plays a lot like Joe Mc"Crazy" did.......... but Horne has talent.  

GBR

Edited by SkersHoops

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Hate to say it, because I like the kid, but the big turning point in the game IMO was when we were up 9 in the second half and coach put McViegh in.  Iowa promptly goes on an 10-1 run to tie the game.  I feel like we should have put them away at that point, but didn't have the defense we needed to get to that 16 point spot.

It's hard to watch right now. He's never been a good athlete by B1G standards, but his loss of confidence has affected his aggressiveness and he looks clumsy out there.

He needs something to go well for him in live action. Just a couple of threes or something.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

There might be such a thing as a Southern Hemisphere Sophomore Slump, sample size 2.

SHSS is to Nebraska such as Kudzu is to the Western part of Kentucky

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

I didn't know there was such a thing as a clutch rebounder until I watched Morrow play this year.  The defensive rebound/save he had falling to the floor was spectacular.  And, once again, he came up with a huge offensive rebound in the final minutes to help us win the game.  I've been high on the kid since watching his high school film--there's just too much physical and mental toughness in his genes to fail.  He's everything I thought he'd be.  Glad to see it panning out.  Great young player among a few great young players.  

I can't say enough about Jacobson either.  A fire has been lit, to say the least, and I think he's starting to settle into his new body.  7pts and 13rbs and 3blks against a very talented frontcourt for Iowa are man's numbers.  He's been an absolute warrior in the last two games.  

We have the best backcourt in the conference. 

We have a backcourt that would give any ncaa match up nightmares.  Guards win in march.

4 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

You can't travel if you are throwing in the ball...it is a throw in violation if you move outside the designated area of where you are to throw in...In fact you could jump up and down..as long as you stay with in the designated area, there is no violation.

Yep this is a rule that was changed a few years ago.  When I played, granted they kept score on stone tablets, unless it was after a made basket, you could not step.

Tai will be spending a lot of time today in an ice bath.  Or heck, he could just stand outside for the same effect...that said, I believe he was cramping up at different times late in the game.  I don't know how he did it, but he gutted it out.

I also once again give a shout out to that Iowa team.  They had a fantastic effort last night, and only one team gets to win, someone had to lose.  They certainly didn't beat themselves last night...

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I actually saw the same thing so glad someone else posted it.  But, actually, if the pattern continues, it's going to be 4 more wins followed by 3 losses, a win, 3 more losses and then 4 more wins.  I'd go with that.

...which would put us right at the end of the regular season at 18-12 (12-6).  Good enough for sure for a top 4 finish, and probably good enough for an NCAA at-large.  Yeah, sign me up too.

1 hour ago, GATA said:

It's hard to watch right now. He's never been a good athlete by B1G standards, but his loss of confidence has affected his aggressiveness and he looks clumsy out there.

He needs something to go well for him in live action. Just a couple of threes or something.

Remind you of anybody?

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

There might be such a thing as a Southern Hemisphere Sophomore Slump, sample size 2.

SHSS is to Nebraska such as Kudzu is to the Western part of Kentucky

...we could hit the rewind button to two years ago and see the same thing happening to Tai.  Jack will be fine...he'll figure it out just like Tai.

Notes and Quotes

Nebraska Postgame Notes
*-Nebraska improved to 3-0 in Big Ten play for the first time in school history and is 3-0 in conference play for the first time since the 1975-76 season. It is just the seventh time NU has opened 3-0 in conference play since World War II
*-Nebraska’s 93 points tonight was the most in a conference game since also scoring 93 points against Colorado Jan. 25, 2006.
*-Glynn Watson’s 34-points was a season and career high (previous high was 27 vs. UCLA) and the most by a Husker since Andrew White III had 35 against Penn State last season.
*-Watson’s 34-point effort ties for 16th on NU’s single-game scoring chart. Watson’s seven 3-pointers was a career high and one off Nebraska’s single-game record. Watson’s previous best in 3-pointers was four at Indiana last week.
*-Prior to tonight, the last Husker with seven or more 3-pointers was Ray Gallegos, who also had seven at Iowa on March 9, 2013.
*-Michael Jacobson’s 13 rebounds was a career high topping his previous best of 10 set against South Dakota on Dec. 3
*-Nebraska improves to 61-44 all-time in OT games, as tonight’s double-OT win was NU’s first since a one-point win over Cincinnati during the 2014-15 season.
*-Nebraska is now 5-1 in games decided by three points or less.
*-Tonight’s win snapped a five-game losing streak to Iowa dating back to the 2012-13 season.
*-Nebraska had a season-high 14 steals, the most by a Husker team since recording 15 against Arkansas State on Dec. 12, 2014.
*-Nebraska had 2 20+ scorers for the fourth time this season. NU is 4-0 in those games.
*-With 23 points, Tai Webster has been in double figures in all 15 games this season and 16 straight dating back to last season.
*-Watson has now had three or more steals six times this season.

Nebraska Head Coach Tim Miles
Opening Statement
“I think you have to credit Iowa because for a long time tonight they kind of beat us at our own game - second chance points. Doing a good job on the glass, they just took it to us. [Tyler] Cook, [Cordell] Pemsl, all those guys were really good in there. As the game went on, I thought we got better.”

On the game:
“What a game. It was dramatic.  It was controversial I guess. Don’t ask me what happened I don’t know. I’m proud of our guys. I made the mistake - [Assistant Coach] Kenya [Hunter] -  reminded me in overtime and reminded the team, in the pregame talk I said, ‘We’re going to win this thing. We are going to out tough them. I don’t care if it takes 40 minutes, 45 minutes, or even 50 minutes, but we’re winning.”

On getting the ready to play again:
“We just watch tape, do our prep. It’s an early start time. We told them this. I always like to set the week for them. It’s interesting. We play there and have this game at 8 p.m. and we turn around and have another game at 1:15 p.m. on Sunday and a couple guys just don’t know. The one thing I learned is, don’t assume anything. I just tell them everything. So I think they’re read. I know it’s a short turn around but we already talked about it too in the locker room.”

On the crowd:
“I thought the crowd was awesome. They were a huge part of us and just hanging in there. They’re so supportive. It was easy for the guys to rally. We want to make this place involved again and we need our fans.”

Nebraska Guard Tai Webster
On a game with so many swings and emotions and going back and forth:
“It’s tough, you know.  It seems like a such a blur.  The game was so long, I don’t even really remember what happened in the first half or anything.  I think it’s a true testament to show that we’re battle tested.  We had this tough schedule, and it’s really showing that we’re coming together.  I think you’re really seeing the result of us always talking about how we’re the most together group that we’ve had in years.  I think it’s really coming through and showing just how together we are.”

On how gassed they were at the end of such a long game:
“I just want to go home, to be honest.  I can’t feel my legs, they were cramping the whole second half.  I was done in the second half, really.  Luckily [Assistant Coach Michael Lewis] is great at getting in my and head and just really challenging me, and luckily we responded."

On whether or not he thinks the team still has something to prove to people despite having a great week last week on top of this win:
“We really just have to go out there and prove to ourselves and everyone else that this is what we do.  We sit down and we defend and we play well together.”

Nebraska Guard Glynn Watson Jr.
On what that says about the team’s resolve:
 “I knew it would come down to the end.  We made some big free throws, missed a lot of free throws, but I just knew we would pull it off.  I knew it would be tough, [Head Coach Tim Miles] told us it would be tough and we showed who was the toughest team tonight.”

On whether or not he knew he would have a good offensive game tonight:
“I just came out, tried to be aggressive, executed what we needed to.”

On his instinct for when to pull a three point shot and his success doing so:
“I was being aggressive, felt like I could make it, made a couple threes early so I felt like I could make it.”

Iowa Head Coach Fran McCaffery Post Game Conference
On the game being so close:
“There’s a lot of things to talk about and you don’t want to accentuate one thing. You have to talk about all the things that were good and all the things that were not so good and try to get better.”

On guard Isaiah Moss beating himself up:
“That’s a tough situation for that kid (Moss). We’ve been trying to get him to be aggressive and if he’s not aggressive in the first half, were probably down 15 to 17 points. He bails us out in the first half so you got to be careful in how much you go after the kid on the play. It wasn’t the play we wanted, he knows that now.”

On questioning some of the fouls:
“They (the officials) were trying their best to keep it clean and give both teams a chance. It’s a tough game to officiate.”

The message after this game:
“The message is 'to always stay positive'. You win an overtime game on Sunday, you’re sort of ecstatic. It doesn’t mean you played a perfect game. You lose at overtime, it doesn’t mean that everything is a disaster. You have to respect your opponent in both situations and recognize ‘okay, if there’s somethings we could do over we’d do it differently. Make sure when we are in that situation again, we do it better, execute it a bit better at both ends.’ I think that’s the message.”

Speaking of that 1976 team, I was curious how they did that year so I looked it up:

G Date Type   Opponent Conf   Tm Opp OT W L Streak Arena
1 Fri, Nov 28, 1975 REG   Illinois Big Ten L 58 60   0 1 L 1 Nebraska Coliseum
2 Sat, Nov 29, 1975 REG   Northwestern Big Ten W 79 68   1 1 W 1 Nebraska Coliseum
3 Wed, Dec 3, 1975 REG @ Iowa Big Ten L 65 72   1 2 L 1 Iowa Field House
4 Sat, Dec 6, 1975 REG   Washington (20) Pac-8 L 63 75   1 3 L 2 Nebraska Coliseum
5 Wed, Dec 10, 1975 REG   Saint Mary's (CA) WCAC W 68 57   2 3 W 1 Nebraska Coliseum
6 Fri, Dec 19, 1975 REG N Pacific PCAA W 85 59   3 3 W 2  
7 Sat, Dec 20, 1975 REG @ New Mexico State MVC W 79 75   4 3 W 3 Pan American Center
8 Mon, Dec 22, 1975 REG @ Vanderbilt SEC W 68 57   5 3 W 4 Memorial Gymnasium
9 Sat, Dec 27, 1975 REG N Kansas Big 8 L 66 69   5 4 L 1  
10 Mon, Dec 29, 1975 REG N Oklahoma Big 8 W 75 53   6 4 W 1 Kemper Arena
11 Tue, Dec 30, 1975 REG N Oklahoma State Big 8 W 56 49   7 4 W 2  
12 Tue, Jan 6, 1976 REG   South Carolina Ind W 69 68   8 4 W 3 Nebraska Coliseum
13 Sat, Jan 17, 1976 REG @ Kansas State Big 8 W 65 59   9 4 W 4 Ahearn Field House
14 Wed, Jan 21, 1976 REG   Oklahoma Big 8 W 68 67   10 4 W 5 Nebraska Coliseum
15 Sat, Jan 24, 1976 REG @ Colorado Big 8 W 66 64   11 4 W 6 Balch Fieldhouse
16 Wed, Jan 28, 1976 REG @ Oklahoma State Big 8 W 52 48   12 4 W 7 Gallagher-Iba Arena
17 Sat, Jan 31, 1976 REG   Missouri (13) Big 8 L 57 62   12 5 L 1 Nebraska Coliseum
18 Wed, Feb 4, 1976 REG   Kansas Big 8 W 57 54   13 5 W 1 Nebraska Coliseum
19 Sat, Feb 7, 1976 REG @ Iowa State Big 8 W 66 56   14 5 W 2 James H. Hilton Coliseum 
20 Wed, Feb 11, 1976 REG @ Oklahoma Big 8 L 60 65   14 6 L 1 Lloyd Noble Center
21 Sat, Feb 14, 1976 REG   Colorado Big 8 W 80 61   15 6 W 1 Nebraska Coliseum
22 Wed, Feb 18, 1976 REG   Kansas State Big 8 L 53 65   15 7 L 1 Nebraska Coliseum
23 Sat, Feb 21, 1976 REG @ Missouri (14) Big 8 L 84 95   15 8 L 2 Hearnes Center
24 Sat, Feb 28, 1976 REG   Oklahoma State Big 8 W 60 54   16 8 W 1 Nebraska Coliseum
25 Wed, Mar 3, 1976 REG @ Kansas Big 8 W 62 58   17 8 W 2 Allen Fieldhouse
26 Sat, Mar 6, 1976 REG   Iowa State Big 8 W 82 66   18 8 W 3 Nebraska Coliseum