uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 15 - Iowa

hhcmatt

8 minutes ago, HB said:

CWG, if you would meet me at the bar, you wouldn't have that issue with getting out of the parking lots! 

Ya I had no issues, I didn't get home until midnight but whatever. I can sleepwalk through my friday. 

So how about that halftime show, huh? I'm a big fan of the World's Oldest Acrobat Daredevil. Not a joke. I'm super impressed with that guy going back to when he was at a game last year.

Also, I'm ok with dribbling the shot clock down and taking a last second shot when its necessary because everyone is gassed and they need a freakin' breather. Did I read that correctly?Tai played 49 minutes? Insane. 

Now that I've calmed down, all I can say is wow.

Watson - was out of his mind last night and I love it.  He battled as someone above stated, an NBA player and played him even. (Yes I know they were not guarding each other)

Webster - gave another solid performance, the kind we expect from the kid.

Jacobson -  easily his best game in Lincoln that I've seen.  Kid needs to remember the muscle he has put on when he goes up to shoot near the basket but what a job he did tonight.  This is the role I see him taking for this team.  IF he does, we are going to be good.

Morrow - Clearly got benched for not boxing out in the 2nd half but played another solid game for us and was much better in the 2 OTs

Taylor - Kid is a warrior, yes he had a horrible night from the line but when you figure we were all scratching our heads when he signed and figured he'd be one of the guys to fill minutes here and there, he has been a wonderful surprise.  Kids a gamer.

Roby - Struggled tonight but you could still see moments when the game is coming to him.  I love how against the zone he comes to the middle catches and finds the open man.  Hope the injury is nothing major.

Horne - Thought despite struggling shooting tonight he played a solid game.  As was mentioned, like that as a freshman he was willing to still take the big shoot.

McVeigh - talk about a kid who has gone backwards and no I am not bashing the kid.  I think with more muscle and time he will be a solid contributor.  Think the role he got last night may be what we see the rest of the way unless Roby is hurt bad.

Jordy - Game was just to fast for him.  During his time you can see he is starting to get that he is a rim protector, he stayed in the lane and let his guy go out top since his guy was not going to shoot from out there.

8 hours ago, brfrad said:

The refs struggled.  One pet peeve I had, was the Iowa inbounder underneath the basket, shuffled his feet twice on inbound plays.  It led to 2 free throws by Iowa and a 3 pointer by Jok.  How can the refs not call traveling?  It was very obvious.  The tip-in was super egregious.  I didn't even see the ball go in.  I knew when he shot it, that there was no way the basket should have counted.  Glad it didn't cost us the game.

You can't travel if you are throwing in the ball...it is a throw in violation if you move outside the designated area of where you are to throw in...In fact you could jump up and down..as long as you stay with in the designated area, there is no violation.

27 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

You can't travel if you are throwing in the ball...it is a throw in violation if you move outside the designated area of where you are to throw in...In fact you could jump up and down..as long as you stay with in the designated area, there is no violation.

I believe you are incorrect.

After a made basket, the inbounder can move up and down the baseline.  On a dead ball inbound, the inbounder can't shuffle his feet.  Travelling rules apply.  Unless they've changed the rule recently.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I believe you are incorrect.

After a made basket, the inbounder can move up and down the baseline.  On a dead ball inbound, the inbounder can't shuffle his feet.  Travelling rules apply.  Unless they've changed the rule recently.

This is what I found in 2014-2015 rulebook: It looks to me that they just have to keep at least one foot in the 3 feet wide throw in location...Pivot foot does not matter

Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:

a The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in 4-11.1.a through .c.

b. The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation.

c. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in.

d. The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until he has released the ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line.

1 hour ago, HB said:

Very troubling.  We can't lose anyone at this point. 

After Webster fouled out, Horne played the best defense he has all year.  I was very concerned, especially when he was guarding Jok.  I thought he did a great job, especially at something he has struggled with all year.  Great effort.  

Glynn Watson fouled out with 2 minutes left in that 2nd OT, not Webs. Tai balled for 48:41 of the 50 minutes.

4 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

This is what I found in 2014-2015 rulebook: It looks to me that they just have to keep at least one foot in the 3 feet wide throw in location...Pivot foot does not matter

Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:

a The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in 4-11.1.a through .c.

b. The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation.

c. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in.

d. The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until he has released the ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line.

OK.  Well.  I guess I stand corrected.  Thank you for that.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK.  Well.  I guess I stand corrected.  Thank you for that.

No Problem, I had to look it up once before after yelling at the TV on another occasion....wondering how could Refs not see him move his pivot foot....I had to look it up again, because I knew you couldn't travel out of bounds, but wasn't sure how large the throw in area was.

I still am struggling to understand the current interpretation of travelling in general...I played competitive basketball 28 years ago, and many of the moves I see in basketball today, would have been a whistle in a game or caused me to run stairs in practice.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Found this amusing.  The current official NCAA rpi has Garner Webb at #190 and Syracuse at #195.

And we're at #48.

And isn't Tai Webster basically doing what the NBA scouts told Andrew White he needed to be able to prove he could do?  If you're so great, why isn't your team any better?  Andrew White's solution is to find a different team; Tai Webster's solution is to make his team better.

Reputation point for finding a way to work in AWIII into our win.

I couldn't be happier for Tim Miles and this team and especially Evan Taylor. FTR Taylor is actually a really good FT shooter. It is really inexplicable what happened in this game at the charity stripe. In that 2nd OT the refs absolutely blew that call when the Iowa player made the tip after Jok had fouled Webster.

When a game gets to the 2nd OT winning is all about grit and heart, and this team has both. At the end of the game with both Watson and Jok on the bench it showed that Nebraska was the better team.

Speaking of Webster and Jok they were both unconscious from the floor. Interestingly though Jok missed a couple of key shots down the stretch in the 2nd OT and eventually fouled out. When that happened and we had the lead I knew it was going to be a Husker victory. Three 1st team all conference players on the court tonight in Watson, Webster and Jok. It's worth repeating again and again and again, it is good thing TM didn't give up on Tai after his Freshman and Sophomore year like some many Huskers fans, who thought he would be a bust and should have been asked to go play for another team.

As the guy who was sitting next to me said (he's also a member of this board) thank goodness our game on Sunday against Northwestern @1:15pm is a home game. Whether we would have won or lost the Iowa game, a short turnaround road trip would have been daunting. Now our guys get to rest up at home.

That 5th foul on Watson was a horrible call as well. Watson did not jump into the the defender. The foul call happened after Webster had taken the shot and was on his way down. The When a player takes a shot they are allowed to land. That play is similar to a player on the basket being under cut after they take shot.

Lastly, looked to me like something physically was wrong with Webster. Looked like he was holding in stomach in the 2nd half. In OT when he was fouled he got up really slow and had visibly hurt his lower back. This is something to keep an eye on, especially considering how many minutes Tai plays and the fact that he likes to drive to the hoop and takes a lot of hard fouls.

- Three games in, three attempts from 3 that aren't from Webster, Watson or Horne. NU currently the best 3 point shooting team since conference play began.

- Best back court since Lue-Belcher?

- This was one of the best games I've ever atteneded. At least the most entertaining. Doesn't need to be a perfect game and this wasn't, but it was as good a game as I've ever seen. The moment and environment were bigger in 2014 vs. Wisconsin, but this game was better.

- That may not have been a heavy-weight fight but it was at least a welterweight match.

- Glynn and Webster were as good as I've ever seen. Glynn's best offensive game, solid on defense. Webster's work in overtime with 4 fouls on Jok was a masterpiece.

- Curious to see ho bad the hip is for Roby.

- Surprised Ed sat so much in the 2nd half. Jordy didn't play a ton either. Probably could have used a few more minutes from both of 'em.

- This was as big of a win for the program as either of the two road wins. Just a big time win for the program. Super pumped for how hard they fought. They had to overcome a bunch of physical, emotional, psychological, metaphysical things to win this. Just phenomenal stuff.

- Thanks, @hhcdimes for filling in for me last night.

- @Norm Peterson, I screen grabbed your post. It's popular on the Twitter right now...

Edited by uneblinstu

One of the grittiest performances by an NU team I've ever seen - it would've been a great game even if NU hadn't won ... but I'd rather type that after winning.

Hated to see Taylor miss those FTs, but he didn't sulk on defense, which was good - his d on bohanan on Iowa's next to last possession was tremendous. And I loved the way his teammates rallied around him in the timeouts, after the game, etc. That shows a lot of why this team is playing the way it is right now.

But most amazing thing is the way NU is playing defense down the stretch without fouling - so tough to do when you're gassed, yet it's now a pattern.

• Iowa shot 2 FTs - TWO - in the final 13 minutes (regulation/OT/OT). 
  • Maryland shot 0 FTs in the final 6 minutes Sunday

That's the only way to come back from tough (if not almost impossible) deficits in both games. Make them earn it. And Tai is the poster child for that, the way he guarded Jok after getting foul #4 was a clinic. He didn't foul, yet he didn't just give in and let Jok do what he wanted either. He played physical and smart and remained a factor in the game.

24 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Lastly, looked to me like something physically was wrong with Webster. Looked like he was holding in stomach in the 2nd half. In OT when he was fouled he got up really slow and had visibly hurt his lower back. This is something to keep an eye on, especially considering how many minutes Tai plays and the fact that he likes to drive to the hoop and takes a lot of hard fouls.

I'm not too worried about Tai, he seemed pretty limber dancing on the floor after the game was over.  Needs some time in the ice tub tho, 49 minutes out of 50 is nuts...

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

Hey, ages ago in a high school game I got called for traveling because I took a step to one side on an inbounds play! :lol:  I distinctly remember it because I was initially po'd at the ref but then I quickly realized the completely moronic thing I had just done!

7 hours ago, royalfan said:

He didn't have his best game but I like his gunslinger mentality.  We need someone like that on our team.  I am a diehard Pacer fan and for some reason Horne reminds me just a little bit of the rifleman Chuck Person. 

Kinda reminds of Joe McCray.  That is, Joe McCray in an alternate universe where he didn't eat fast food and was surrounded by talent.