uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 15 - Iowa

hhcmatt

Great game.  I am usually sleeping before the game would start.  However, I cannot sleep.  Too excited for the victory.

Wow, both teams had chances to win the game, and failed to close it out in regulation and the 1st OT. 

The refs struggled.  One pet peeve I had, was the Iowa inbounder underneath the basket, shuffled his feet twice on inbound plays.  It led to 2 free throws by Iowa and a 3 pointer by Jok.  How can the refs not call traveling?  It was very obvious.  The tip-in was super egregious.  I didn't even see the ball go in.  I knew when he shot it, that there was no way the basket should have counted.  Glad it didn't cost us the game.

A bunch of iron men, tonight.  Basically, went 6 deep most of the 2nd half and 2 OT's.  Roby injured, McVeigh still struggling, Not a good game for Jordy.  It was the 5 starters and Horne left.

Finally got to the free throw line.  35 attempts.  Need to make them, though. 

Watson 34 points, 7-8 from 3, 3 reb 4 ast, 3 ste.  Pretty good night

Tai 49 min 23 points, 6 reb, 7 ast, 4 ste.  A really good night.  Deserves a rest.

Jacobson 7 points 13 reb.  Bigtime work on the glass.

McVeigh even scored.  It was a crazy game, because I do not remember that happening.

If the game in Iowa City is half as entertaining, that is still going to be a heck of a game.

Need to continue the momentum going Sunday.  #UsAlways!!

Wow....excuse my language but holy shit.. some notes 

- I enjoy hostile PBA, that 2OT had ridiculous energy

- Glynn Watson was feeling it, and we fed and fed him 

- Tai as always the rock and steady of this team when plays were needed he found them. 

- when jeriah shoots I believe every single one is going in, I really like that.

-good minutes for Jacobsen 

- things I dislike (fans leaving tied up in the last two min, Fran, the refs, Evan Taylor being possessed by the spirt of Nick Anderson from the eastern conference finals in bad way)

I LOVE THIS TEAM, so gritty reminds of those grit n grind grizzlies teams

Horne had a rough night.  3-11 from the floor, and 2-10 from 3.  However, came up clutch with 2 free throws down the stretch.  I know shooting free throws should be much easier than we made it, but Taylor's last 2 free throws were halfway down.  Just keep, keeping on.

Excuse my French, but Holy shit that was fun. Wow. PBA was OG PBA again tonight. That environment, with no students was absolutely incredible. Overtime shouldn't have happened to begin with, but that game makes a good case for best game at PBA. Glynn and Tai were phenomenal, and how about Michael Jacobson. Quiet 7 points, but 13 boards and 6 of those were on the offensive end. That was fun. I love this team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

Horne had a rough night.  3-11 from the floor, and 2-10 from 3.  However, came up clutch with 2 free throws down the stretch.  I know shooting free throws should be much easier than we made it, but Taylor's last 2 free throws were halfway down.  Just keep, keeping on.

He didn't have his best game but I like his gunslinger mentality.  We need someone like that on our team.  I am a diehard Pacer fan and for some reason Horne reminds me just a little bit of the rifleman Chuck Person. 

For some reason since I cannot sleep after that game, I checked the crappy Jay message board to get their take.  Predictably, it is one of the most popular discussions on that board.  I am not sure what game some of them were watching, but it was apparently worse than Valley basketball and nobody involved in the game could sniff the court for Creighton.  Unbelievably comical.  Not to mention the other fella claiming we are bullying a bad Big 10 schedule.  Yeah road games at Indiana and Maryland and a home game against a red hot NBA player are easy.   It is so awesome that they have to act like they are happy after we win, even though they aren't because our athletic department is so superior to theirs.  Yes, I am embarrassed for even going over there to check it out.  That message board is such a train wreck I just cannot help myself.  Give me credit for not creating a handle over there as I could stir a very entertaining pot. 

That had to be one of the best games I have watched NU play over these many long years, right up there with the UAB 4 overtime game and the Oklahoma Big 12 tourney OT game. I'm sort of glad we were so pitiful with our free throws because otherwise it wouldn't have been close. Reminded me of a Rocky movie with both fighters exhausted and refusing to stay on the canvas in the tenth round. I foresee a real rivalry with these guys over the next few years.

How 'bout Webster, with 4 fouls, pretty much shutting down Jok late in the game?  His 4th foul was really bad, but he responded when Iowegia fed the ball to Jok several possessions trying to get him out of the game.

edit:  didn't see royalfan's post above saying essentially the same thing

The foul/tip-in fiasco was ridiculous.  Did the zebras by any chance think that Morrow touched the ball while it was touching the rim?

This team has shown tremendous heart to start conference play.  I have a feeling that most of the games are going to be nail biters the rest of the way.

Edited by NUtball

48 minutes ago, NUtball said:

How 'bout Webster, with 4 fouls, pretty much shutting down Jok late in the game?  His 4th foul was really bad, but he responded when Iowegia fed the ball to Jok several possessions trying to get him out of the game.

edit:  didn't see royalfan's post above saying essentially the same thing

The foul/tip-in fiasco was ridiculous.  Did the zebras by any chance think that Morrow touched the ball while it was touching the rim?

I wondered the same thing in the game thread. I haven't paid checked the play by play though. Maybe the announcers didn't clarify it for us.

That cold walk to the car always feels MUCH better with a W.  If you look at the box score he did not have a great shooting game but the emergence of Horne has been huge for this team.  He also isn't as much of a defensive liability that some thought he would be.  Hopefully Roby is alright...after the game Kent said Roby sat out due to a hip pointer? Hopefully that's the case and doesn't have anything to do with his offseason injury.   

11 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

That cold walk to the car always feels MUCH better with a W.  If you look at the box score he did not have a great shooting game but the emergence of Horne has been huge for this team.  He also isn't as much of a defensive liability that some thought he would be.  Hopefully Roby is alright...after the game Kent said Roby sat out due to a hip pointer? Hopefully that's the case and doesn't have anything to do with his offseason injury.   

Very troubling.  We can't lose anyone at this point. 

After Webster fouled out, Horne played the best defense he has all year.  I was very concerned, especially when he was guarding Jok.  I thought he did a great job, especially at something he has struggled with all year.  Great effort.  

Edited by HB

5 hours ago, royalfan said:

He didn't have his best game but I like his gunslinger mentality.  We need someone like that on our team.  I am a diehard Pacer fan and for some reason Horne reminds me just a little bit of the rifleman Chuck Person. 

He is the irrationally confident shooter this team needs because in reality he's quite a good shooter.

What a game.  Even after attempting to sleep last night, that had to rank fairly high on my list of most entertaining games.  Tension was palpable.  Even without the students the PBA was electric.  It has been a couple of years since there was that level of excitement...or so it seems.  A few other thoughts:

*  Iowa is a good team, and they are as young as we are.  This should be an interesting rivalry for years to come

* Jok is a jock.  The dude can ball on the offensive end. 

* Their freshmen are the real deals.  Wowser.

* Tai is a stud.  Damn he played hard all night and had a tremendous all around game. 

* Glynn was a stud.  Wow, what a game.  Wow.  He seemed unconscious at times...every bit as good as Jok, especially last night

* MJ may not be the smoothest player on the offensive end, but the dude balled his heart out last night.  Great night.

* I thought Ed struggled a bit last night.  Not his best game, but nonetheless, he was working his butt off.

* Jeriah missed his shots last night, but kudos to him that he kept firing.  We need his game, and last night proved to me that he was willing to take his shot. He did well defensively as well.

* Jordy road the bench in the second half and in OT, and we needed him; he struggled.  Jordy will have many better days, but last night wasn't one of them.

* Isaiah looked a bit banged up, but like Jordy, struggled.  Isaiah has been sort of a yo-yo through the season, and I expect him to smooth things out.

* Glad that Jack got a basket.  He is not playing much now, but by the end of the year we will need him.

* Waited to the end to comment on Evan.  The kid had a very good game with the exception of his FT shooting.  I was shocked by his misses.  But you can tell that Evan is one of our leaders and the team had his back.  My hope is those misses will turn into makes in the future, and the next time he steps to the line in a similar circumstance, he will be money.

In retrospect, we had a couple players with off nights, but they were more than offset by a couple premier performances.  If they keep going like this, Glynn and Tai are going to gain a national spot light. 

Fun game, great win!  3-0 baby!!!  Let's fill the PBA Sunday and move to 4-0!

...and oh yeah, worthy of mention, getting out of the parking lots after the game was much, much less fun than the game itself.

Edited by huskercwg

5 hours ago, royalfan said:

Reminds me of Gallegos, except, Horne will probably shoot for a higher percentage.   He will open up driving lanes because you never know when he is going to get hot.

What a game.  Even after attempting to sleep last night, that had to rank fairly high on my list of most entertaining games.  Tension was palpable.  Even without the students the PBA was electric.  It has been a couple of years since there was that level of excitement...or so it seems.  A few other thoughts:
*  Iowa is a good team, and they are as young as we are.  This should be an interesting rivalry for years to come
* Jok is a jock.  The dude can ball on the offensive end. 
* Their freshmen are the real deals.  Wowser.
* Tai is a stud.  Damn he played hard all night and had a tremendous all around game. 
* Glynn was a stud.  Wow, what a game.  Wow.  He seemed unconscious at times...every bit as good as Jok, especially last night
* MJ may not be the smoothest player on the offensive end, but the dude balled his heart out last night.  Great night.
* I thought Ed struggled a bit last night.  Not his best game, but nonetheless, he was working his butt off.
* Jeriah missed his shots last night, but kudos to him that he kept firing.  We need his game, and last night proved to me that he was willing to take his shot. He did well defensively as well.
* Jordy road the bench in the second half and in OT, and we needed him; he struggled.  Jordy will have many better days, but last night wasn't one of them.
* Isaiah looked a bit banged up, but like Jordy, struggled.  Isaiah has been sort of a yo-yo through the season, and I expect him to smooth things out.
* Glad that Jack got a basket.  He is not playing much now, but by the end of the year we will need him.
* Waited to the end to comment on Evan.  The kid had a very good game with the exception of his FT shooting.  I was shocked by his misses.  But you can tell that Evan is one of our leaders and the team had his back.  My hope is those misses will turn into makes in the future, and the next time he steps to the line in a similar circumstance, he will be money.

In retrospect, we had a couple players with off nights, but they were more than offset by a couple premier performances.  If they keep going like this, Glynn and Tai are going to gain a national spot light. 

Fun game, great win!  3-0 baby!!!  Let's fill the PBA Sunday and move to 4-0!

...and oh yeah, worthy of mention, getting out of the parking lots after the game was much, much less fun than the game itself.

It didnt,help that between the blue and green garages someone from Iowa ass holed a nebraska vehicle, and had one lane blocked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk