Pregame Discussion: Iowa (9-6) vs. Nebraska (8-6) - 1/05/17

49r

1 minute ago, cozrulz said:

I'm actually not sure how well we match-up with Iowa.  They can put up quite a few points.  In that regard, Northwestern is probably the better match-up this week.  I think we have to make the Iowa game ugly.  Go hard inside, get fouled.

Going to break my own rule here and say, if and I say IF we don't beat Iowa we as fans MUST be ready to come back Sunday and help even more.  

If we win we need to show up Sunday and help, but we as fans can't think it is over because of a loss, we need to know we will most likely lose in the next two months.  How we lose and how we fight back after that loss will be very big.

This team WILL NEED US THIS YEAR AT HOME SO WE BETTER BE READY TO BRING IT.  AND NONE OF THIS THE TEAM NEEDS TO GIVE ME SOMETHING TO CHEER ABOUT.  START LOUD, THEN WE CAN GET LOUDER WHEN THEY START TO DO SOMETHING.

Okay I will now take a big breath, care on.

16 minutes ago, cozrulz said:

I think we have to make the Iowa game ugly.  Go hard inside, get fouled.

Actually, that seems more like the strategy for Northwestern and their shot blockers.  Iowa's lack of size lends more towards just attacking the rim for buckets.

GAME STATISTICS
Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
Peter Jok 15 28.8 22.1 6.1 2.3 1.1 0.0 1.9 .444 .920 .412
Tyler Cook 8 25.9 13.1 5.3 1.1 0.6 0.4 2.5 .545 .571 .143
Cordell Pemsl 15 19.1 9.8 5.3 1.1 0.7 0.9 1.5 .674 .534 .000
Jordan Bohannon 15 26.3 9.1 2.3 4.7 0.5 0.0 2.1 .350 .864 .373
Nicholas Baer 15 21.7 7.3 5.9 1.9 1.3 1.0 0.8 .439 .688 .341
Isaiah Moss 15 16.7 7.0 1.7 0.9 0.4 0.4 1.1 .464 .800 .385
Brady Ellingson 15 14.7 6.0 0.9 0.5 0.3 0.0 0.4 .617 1.000 .615
Ahmad Wagner 15 17.4 4.7 3.7 1.6 0.9 0.7 1.0 .462 .500 .000
Dom Uhl 15 16.7 4.5 3.9 1.2 0.3 0.2 1.5 .344 .656 .200
Maishe Dailey 8 9.1 2.9 2.3 0.4 0.4 0.1 0.4 .474 .250 .364
Ryan Kriener 11 6.9 2.7 2.5 0.3 0.3 0.4 0.6 .545 .600 .000
Christian Williams 15 15.7 2.4 2.0 2.3 0.8 0.1 1.1 .311 .750 .222
Charlie Rose 6 1.3 0.3 0.2 0.2 0.0 0.0 0.2 .333 .000 .000
Dale Jones 1 2.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 .000 .000 .000
Totals 15 -- 84 40 18 7 4 14 .461 .698 .375

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Actually, that seems more like the strategy for Northwestern and their shot blockers.  Iowa's lack of size lends more towards just attacking the rim for buckets.

That should be our offense going forward anyway.  This season the offense flows so much better when we take it inside.

My main point is making it so the game doesn't have a good flow for Iowa.  I know we outscored Indiana but I'm not sure that will be successful a majority of the time for this team.

For Iowa we can...

A. Try and shut down Jok and let the team get theirs.

B.  Let Jok get his and shit down the team.

C.  A mix of both.

I would say we need to either do A or B.  Which is easier is anyone's guess, but this team should have confidence to beat anyone anywhere after last week.

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

For Iowa we can...

C.  A mix of both.

I would say we need to either do A or B.  Which is easier is anyone's guess, but this team should have confidence to beat anyone anywhere after last week.

Virginia and Purdue were able to hold him to 13, both loses for Iowa (The team only scored 41 vs Iowa). That's also the least amount of points he's scored. Shutting him down involves him still scoring 10+ points.

You can help off of Wagner and Ohl 

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

For Iowa we can...

C.  A mix of both.

I was thinking about this as well. Option B seems to have worked against us over the last few years. I can't remember the opponent, but I remember them seemingly letting someone like Shields take all the shots he wanted, but shutting down Petteway at all costs and it worked.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

Hey I'm pretty okay with shitting down Iowa...seems appropriate.

Wish I had been here in time to post that. 

Here's something weird...I think I knew Cordell Pemsl when he was about 3 years old. His aunt was on the track team I coached at the University of Dubuque. She also played volleyball, basketball and softball (I lost her for her last year even though she had been a national qualifier) during her career. She used to babysit him and he hung around the athletic offices.

Another small world story ties into this...his aunt was a thrower and the throws coach (who I had no say in hiring, even though I was head track coach) was Brett Diersen, who was later a GA or video coordinator at Nebraska under Pelini. He then went to Indiana with Mike Ekeler. I think she switched to softball largely because he didn't know anything about the throws. Such is life at the DIII level, and one of many reasons I'm an accountant now.

16 hours ago, hskr4life said:

For Iowa we can...

C.  A mix of both.

I kind of think that Tai will get the opportunity to guard Jok.  I am more than a little concerned about the Iowa freshman PF, I think his name is Cook.  He has been out with a broken digitus tertius, but before he was out, and since he has been back, he has been a very good player for Iowa.

Edited by huskercwg

On 1/2/2017 at 0:09 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Let me just say these last two road wins won't mean much if we drop either of the next two games at home.  We need to be 4-0 headed into Michigan.

i would be content with going 1-1, but 0-2 would mean we'd need to finish 12-3 just to have a chance at postseason.

Edited by TimSmiles

2 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i don't think going 1-1 would be a complete failure. starting 3-1 would keep us in the top 4 of the Big10

We have to get the wins now while we can. Look at the way our schedule finishes. It is brutal. 

If we seriously want to entertain bubble thoughts, we probably need to win our next three home games for sure. 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

I kind of think that Tai will get the opportunity to guard Jok.  I am more than a little concerned about the Iowa freshman PF, I think his name is King.  He has been out with a broken digitus tertius, but before he was out, and since he has been back, he has been a very good player for Iowa.

Oh, the dreaded digitus tertius.  I once knew a guy who broke his DT and he was out of action for months.  Never had kids again.  Sad.  That's not the kind of thing where you want to rush your recovery.

Edited by Norm Peterson

7 hours ago, HuskerCager said:

Gawd, this is such a classic trap game.  Think Michigan at home last year, Kansas St at home in 2011, etc.  Everything is going our way, and that's exactly when Husker hoops shrivels like a tulip on a July afternoon.  

Let's hope this time it's different.

For some reason, Iowa just doesn't scare me that much. They never seem particularly well coached and they're really young this year. The rematch in Iowa City will be tough, though.

8 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

iowa is a better team than their record shows. most of their losses were without Tyler Cook, their second leading scorer.

Cook is very solid, but IMO a good matchup for Morrow down low.  What Iowa team will show up?  I've watched them a few times this year.  Some games they look like a contender.  Other times they look like 13-14 win team.  The Huskers have not played very well at home thus far.  Not sure why...but we have looked more comfortable and have played better on the road.  Hopefully Thursday night changes that.