Pregame Discussion: Iowa (9-6) vs. Nebraska (8-6) - 1/05/17

49r

2 hours ago, cozrulz said:

I'd rather we look for a high school player.

What kind of kid are we going to land for next year at this point?

42 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i hope you aren't serious. he'd be the first 5 star player in program history.

Beyond that is this guy worth it? Do we need a stretch 4 or stretch 3 for next year? Is he a 37% or 29% 3pt shooter. Can he play well with others? Medically what should anyone expect for next season? Is he going to be eligible next fall or will it be 2nd semester?

We scouted the guy back in the day but boy these former Georgetown/NC guys we flip up through Kenya have been a bit of a mixed bag.

Just now, cozrulz said:

I'm serious.  We don't need a transfer that is going to be hard to mold into the program.

It's certainly something that warrants discussion.  Transfers have been like the weather in Nebraska to us.  It was Sunny and 60 one season, Snowy and 13 below the next, and then Chilly and Cloudy with flurries.  Would he be Sunny and 60?

With that being said, I would have no problem if he wanted to come here.  Talent like that is hard to find for any school.  I still think... as always... there is someone who transfers out at the end of the year as well.  It is practically inevitable in College Basketball these days.

Edited by hskr4life

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

What kind of kid are we going to land for next year at this point?

Beyond that is this guy worth it? Do we need a stretch 4 or stretch 3 for next year? Is he a 37% or 29% 3pt shooter. Can he play well with others? Medically what should anyone expect for next season? Is he going to be eligible next fall or will it be 2nd semester?

We scouted the guy back in the day but boy these former Georgetown/NC guys we flip up through Kenya have been a bit of a mixed bag.

If he's healthy he would possibly be our most talented player. That's a big if though, see for example that before the season many would have thought the same about Anton Gill.

As I understand it he would be eligible after the first semester was over, and getting a redshirt granted this year would only determine if he had an extra year after next season.

Would he give us anything we don't have already in Morrow, Roby, Jacobson and Horne, and maybe McVeigh? If he's 100% he'd probably be close to any of those guys in terms of doing what they do best, but all in one player. But having a guy come in after ten or so games and redistributing minutes at that point might be disruptive. So it would be a gamble, but if he does want to come here you definitely take him and work those things out later.

Interesting comment found over on the Iowa Rivals board this afternoon:

With 3 NCAA appearances, back-to-back-3rd place finishes, almost yearly 20 win seasons, and legitimate stays in the top 20 (not to mention Fran's penchant for grabbing the occasional national headline), Iowa is more relevant than it has been in years!  

Still, Iowa basketball has not fully recovered. When Carver is rocking like Wisconsin and Indiana and, HECK, Nebraska, I'll be ready to write the poop smell of Lick Ball has been cleansed from the Iowa program.

Begrudging respect for Husker fans...I'll take it.

3 hours ago, cozrulz said:

I'm serious.  We don't need a transfer that is going to be hard to mold into the program.

what? how do you know he can't fit into the program?

we're coming off back to back losing seasons. i can't even get the thought into my head of turning down a 5 star player. regardless of the situation.

Edited by TimSmiles

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

what? how do you know he can't fit into the program?

we're coming off back to back losing seasons. i can't even get the thought into my head of turning down a 5 star player. regardless of the situation.

A 5 star that hasn't necessarily done anything.  He was beat out by younger players.  My guess he would be an incoming senior?  I'd rather build with younger guys.

Edited by cozrulz

A 5 star that hasn't necessarily done anything.  He was beat out by younger players.  My guess he would be an incoming senior?  I'd rather build with younger guys.

Not true. Look at his first two seasons at Georgetown. He was putting up some pretty solid numbers. He also started out this season pretty strong and then suffered whatever injury. This is a guy who has proven the ability to fill a stat sheet across an entire season. 

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not true. Look at his first two seasons at Georgetown. He was putting up some pretty solid numbers. He also started out this season pretty strong and then suffered whatever injury. This is a guy who has proven the ability to fill a stat sheet across an entire season. 

This^ - He avergaed 11+ PPG last year and had 30+ minutes per game.....KU doesn't come sniffing around for no reason. 

Was their 3rd leading scorer last season. Pretty sure the injury to his back was before the start of the season and that he was playing through it though I might be mis-remembering from reading the Hoya boards.  His status really depends on whether he gets medical for this year or not.  We have the schollie....if he checks out we definitely pull the trigger.