WBB: Game #14 @ Iowa

Row6Seat10

Best showing of the year so far even if it was a loss. Turnovers hurt us today got to get that number down starting Tuesday. 

Game by game getting better. Think maybe that difficult non-conference schedule might have helped to get us to this point. Still sloppy on the defensive end but really glad to see the Huskers mix up the defenses and throw a 2-3 zone on them! And it proved to be successful as they struggled against it. 

Really like the never say die attitude that the Huskers played with! I think what hurt us most from winning this game is when Allie picked up her 4th foul and had to sit late in the game. 

Hannah's proving why she needs to be in the line-up on a regular basis! She had another great stat line today. Four kids in double figures scoring wise today! Be nice to have that every game from here on out.

I think we surprised their coaches and fan base as well, as the feeling I got listening to their post game show was they expected to win by double digits. 

Got to see and catch up with one of my favorite Huskers from a long time ago in Kate Galligan!    

11 hours ago, HUD said:

I was on the road all day so didn't get to watch the game yet but in reading the above comments and looking at the Stat Sheet the thing that stands out in addition to the turnovers is the lack of production from the bench.  10 points less in this game then Iowa.  Need to find somebody there to step up.

Our depth is showing in several ways. It looked like we had enough experience to have a nucleolus of scoring coming back  this year, but isn't always there week in and week out. Coach is giving them all a chance, We played 6 or 7 the most of the game, & less time for some. Our guard play is slowly opening up the inside for Jess & Allie. Allie had a very productive game. Got into foul trouble late.

I keep hoping one or two more can be more productive scoring. We need 10 to 12 ppg from at least 2 players, plus Jess at her near 20, plus more production from several...we're not getting it every week right now.  Our defense wasn't picture perfect, but was better. The zone helped, and actually gave them momentary breathers not having to chase someone around the floor, but still takes a lot of focus. We did execute the zone with pretty good discipline most of the time. It helps keep us fresher for later in the game.

Transition points early was in Iowa's favor and the difference in the game.

Edited by redsteve

41 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Our depth is showing in several ways. It looked like we had enough experience to have a nucleolus of scoring coming back  this year, but isn't always there week in and week out. Coach is giving them all a chance, We played 6 or 7 the most of the game, & less time for some. Our guard play is slowly opening up the inside for Jess & Allie. Allie had a very productive game. Got into foul trouble late.

I keep hoping one or two more can be more productive scoring. We need 10 to 12 ppg from at least 2 players, plus Jess at her near 20, plus more production from several...we're not getting it every week right now.  Our defense wasn't picture perfect, but was better. The zone helped, and actually gave them momentary breathers not having to chase someone around the floor, but still takes a lot of focus. We did execute the zone with pretty good discipline most of the time. It helps keep us fresher for later in the game.

Transition points early was in Iowa's favor and the difference in the game.

Any idea what they can do to get Maddie going?  So athletic but seems to be 'scared' when she's out there. Her size out there could be so helpful if she could be productive. 

28 minutes ago, Merlin said:

Any idea what they can do to get Maddie going?  So athletic but seems to be 'scared' when she's out there. Her size out there could be so helpful if she could be productive. 

seemed like there were some "flashes" last season that gave hope she could take a big step forward this season. not happening so far. disappointing. figured getting "bench points" would be a struggle this season---need to add some to that "4 points". didn't get to see or listen to the game, but, it was good to see they made a game of it at iowa. not surprised to read some of those "bad habits" reared their ugly head, but, like the fight down to the end. 

Forgot to mention it yesterday, but our seats were in front of a group that traveled over from somewhere around the Sioux City area and they informed us that in their opinion, when the Huskers received the verbal from Ashtyn Verbeek a few weeks ago they were disappointed that Iowa didn't get her. In their opinion the Huskers scored the best 2018 player to come out of Iowa.

well, nice to hear/read those comments, but, did you happen to ask them why ashley joens is rated hoopgurlz #16 and prospectsnation #27 and ashtyn veerbeek is not even on the boards? don't get me wrong, i really hope they are right in their assessment, but, just sayin'............

if you crack the top 50 in practically all the recruiting boards, odds are you are a pretty darn good baller.

4 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Forgot to mention it yesterday, but our seats were in front of a group that traveled over from somewhere around the Sioux City area and they informed us that in their opinion, when the Huskers received the verbal from Ashtyn Verbeek a few weeks ago they were disappointed that Iowa didn't get her. In their opinion the Huskers scored the best 2018 player to come out of Iowa.

I won 't feel sorry for the Iowa fans. ......Just real happy she's coming to be a Husker !!

Edited by redsteve

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, whoopdeedoo said:

well, nice to hear/read those comments, but, did you happen to ask them why ashley joens is rated hoopgurlz #16 and prospectsnation #27 and ashtyn veerbeek is not even on the boards? don't get me wrong, i really hope they are right in their assessment, but, just sayin'............

if you crack the top 50 in practically all the recruiting boards, odds are you are a pretty darn good baller.

Ashley Joens never crossed my mind when we were talking to them. These Iowa fans were from somewhere close to where Verbeek plays high school and had seen her actually play. Hence, why I think their opinion of her is pretty high. Reminded me of a few years back when there was an Nebraska all-state player who sort of went under the radar when recruiting came along by the name of Jordan Hooper.