uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 13 - @ Indiana

uneblinstu

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Just listened to the pre and post game on radio. Roby was supposed to come in and play point of the bench.  He didn't because of how well Glynn was playing. Something to keep tabs on going forward as Roby is one way to fill in on your lack of guard depth.

He basically ran the offense, though, in the second half when IU went to zone. He could run the point if he need to.

Ok, I went back and re-watched the incident with Jordy and Juwan Morgan from IU.

First, you can't just watch that single clip without any context.  There was a lot of mixing it up between the bigs going on in this game, as in most games.  These guys push and pull as much as they can get away with.  It's all very subtle.  And, if you're behind me trying to reach around me, if I'm an experienced and crafty big man, I'm going to clamp your arm to my chest with my arm and make it look like you're grabbing me and holding me.  And I'll get the call even though I'm the one who caused the foul.

And so it was at the 17:00 mark of the second half, long before Jordy's incident with Juwan Morgan.  Both Ed Morrow and OG Anunobody go up for a rebound.  OG gets Ed's arm clamped to his side and starts yanking Ed's arm and the ball halfway across the floor.  Ed couldn't free himself if he tried.  And Michael Jacobson gets called for phantom foul on the play.  On that play, by the way, as Ed is boxing out to get position for the rebound, Thomas Bryant reaches over and grabs the top of Ed's left shoulder to try to prevent him from jumping up and snaring the rebound.  Not legal.  But crafty big men do stuff like that because officials can't really catch it all in the fast-paced course of a game.

Now, fast forward 7 minutes and watch the foul on Jordy.  The intentional call is more about Juwan Morgan falling to the floor and writhing in pain than anything Jordy did.  It looks to me like what happened was that Morgan slid into the lane behind Jordy from the weakside baseline while the ball is being shot from the opposite corner.  Jordy finds himself boxed out and reaches to grab Morgan's arm (as had been happening with the bigs all game -- just like in any other game) to try to move him away to get inside position.  And he grabs Morgan's arm just as Morgan is reaching up to jump for the rebound.  In other words, Jordy was COINCIDENTALLY exerting force attempting to pull Morgan one way just as Morgan was exerting force trying to go the other way.  And the combination of those two simultaneous exertions tweak Juwan Morgan's previously-injured shoulder and he falls to the floor and writhes in pain.

And, yes, it's a foul on Jordy.  But it's nowhere near the malicious event that whiny, sissified, sour grapes Indiana fans are making it out to be.  They should all shut the hell up, accept the fact that their team lost at home to a team picked to finish in the bottom 2 or 3 in the league (I guarantee that's what they're really pissed about more than anything), and move  on.

IU fans were all up in a tizzy because they thought the NU bench was laughing about it based on a screen grab where Malcolm Laws  might have had a slight grin. He could have been mid word or something, but nowhere did anyone on the NU bench or Jordy himself show anything but concern or remorse.

That whole game was incredibly physical. Tai took a beating. If I were him, I'd still be feeling it a week from now.

Poor Jordy will be booed for the rest of his time here every time we play IU.  He might be able to make people like him if he saves a basket of kittens from a burning dorm room that happens to belong to like some daughter who is imporant to the University or a booster, yeah a booster's daughter who is.. is... is... blind yeah blind.

So Jordy is in Bloomington one day and sees the dorm room on fire goes in and saves not only the blind boosters daughter, BUT goes back in and saves her basket full of new kittens she had just saved.  And he gives mouth to mouth to 3 of them to bring them back to life.

THEN AND ONLY THEN, IU fans might not boo him everytime he touches the ball in games that we will play against them.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ok, I went back and re-watched the incident with Jordy and Juwan Morgan from IU.

First, you can't just watch that single clip without any context.  There was a lot of mixing it up between the bigs going on in this game, as in most games.  These guys push and pull as much as they can get away with.  It's all very subtle.  And, if you're behind me trying to reach around me, if I'm an experienced and crafty big man, I'm going to clamp your arm to my chest with my arm and make it look like you're grabbing me and holding me.  And I'll get the call even though I'm the one who caused the foul.

And so it was at the 17:00 mark of the second half, long before Jordy's incident with Juwan Morgan.  Both Ed Morrow and OG Anunobody go up for a rebound.  OG gets Ed's arm clamped to his side and starts yanking Ed's arm and the ball halfway across the floor.  Ed couldn't free himself if he tried.  And Michael Jacobson gets called for phantom foul on the play.  On that play, by the way, as Ed is boxing out to get position for the rebound, Thomas Bryant reaches over and grabs the top of Ed's left shoulder to try to prevent him from jumping up and snaring the rebound.  Not legal.  But crafty big men do stuff like that because officials can't really catch it all in the fast-paced course of a game.

Now, fast forward 7 minutes and watch the foul on Jordy.  The intentional call is more about Juwan Morgan falling to the floor and writhing in pain than anything Jordy did.  It looks to me like what happened was that Morgan slid into the lane behind Jordy from the weakside baseline while the ball is being shot from the opposite corner.  Jordy finds himself boxed out and reaches to grab Morgan's arm (as had been happening with the bigs all game -- just like in any other game) to try to move him away to get inside position.  And he grabs Morgan's arm just as Morgan is reaching up to jump for the rebound.  In other words, Jordy was COINCIDENTALLY exerting force attempting to pull Morgan one way just as Morgan was exerting force trying to go the other way.  And the combination of those two simultaneous exertions tweak Juwan Morgan's previously-injured shoulder and he falls to the floor and writhes in pain.

And, yes, it's a foul on Jordy.  But it's nowhere near the malicious event that whiny, sissified, sour grapes Indiana fans are making it out to be.  They should all shut the hell up, accept the fact that their team lost at home to a team picked to finish in the bottom 2 or 3 in the league (I guarantee that's what they're really pissed about more than anything), and move  on.

I was excited about the strength Jordy showed in being able to basically break a 6'9' 225 lb man. That showed impressive "farm strength" and going forward that will be nice a nice foundation to build on for Jordy. 

Also, Jordy had about as much malicious intent as the kid that face raked Evan that the officials swallowed their whistle on.

36 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

It was not a dirty play; in fact, I do not believe Jordy even know he was committing a foul.  We have all seen much worse, especially in the paint.  It was no more flagrant than the poke in the eye that Evan suffered. 

I'm with ya, but the F1 was still the right call, even if the word "flagrant" isn't the right word for what it actually is.

10 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I'm with ya, but the F1 was still the right call, even if the word "flagrant" isn't the right word for what it actually is.

In college basketball, a flagrant foul is a serious personal foul. A foul is considered flagrant when it involves excessive or violent contact that could injure the fouled player. A flagrant foul may be unintentional or purposeful; the latter type is simultaneously known as an "intentional foul" in the NCAA. 

I can understand why this was called a flagrant, but I can also see inconsistency with the call as I could argue this was not an excessive or violent act.  Jordy's back was to the player, he didn't swing at him.  The foul ended in injury and wasn't intentional or purposeful.  As said, I personally did not think it was excessive or violent; however, the injury likely was the reason the foul was deemed flagrant in nature. 

9 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

In college basketball, a flagrant foul is a serious personal foul. A foul is considered flagrant when it involves excessive or violent contact that could injure the fouled player. A flagrant foul may be unintentional or purposeful; the latter type is simultaneously known as an "intentional foul" in the NCAA. 

I can understand why this was called a flagrant, but I can also see inconsistency with the call as I could argue this was not an excessive or violent act.  Jordy's back was to the player, he didn't swing at him.  The foul ended in injury and wasn't intentional or purposeful.  As said, I personally did not think it was excessive or violent; however, the injury likely was the reason the foul was deemed flagrant in nature. 

I thought it was both. But I could see the argument the other way.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

He grabbed the dude by the arm and pulled him to the ground. Can't do that.

No, he did not.  Jordy pulled, yes.  But not to the ground.  It was not even a "hard" foul.  Definitely a pull in there, but nowhere close to pulling him to the ground.  Mr. Morgan had a lot to do with ending up on the ground.

Anyway.

Did you notice how number zero for Indiana lowered his shoulder into Isaiah Roby's chest as he was walking over to where Morgan was on the ground after the play?  It was pretty obviously deliberate.  Had Isaiah been off balance at the time, he would have probably gone to the floor like Juwan Morgan did.

4 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Not like he did, you don't.

I guess that depends on your definition of "all the time" then.  I see that sort of play at least once every 5 games.  And by that sort of play, I mean a player whose personal trajectory is going up is forcibly pulled down by an outside force.  Happens in almost every NBA playoff game, more so in games involving a physically overwhelming offensive player (LeBron, for example).  The key difference here is that usually you don't see the fouled player writhe in pain on the court for 10 minutes.  Had the play not resulted in a re-aggravated injury, it would have been no different than any number of other common/non-flagrant fouls.

18 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

...or how about this one.

Indiana's Thomas Bryant is defended by Nebraska's Ed Morrow during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2016, in Bloomington, Ind.

The way I understand it, the rule has changed this year and this is not flagrant any more.  The player is allowed to move within his area and the elbow is not extended, so no flagrant foul.

Edited by 49r