uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 13 - @ Indiana

uneblinstu

27 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Roby IS the reason why it changed.  He is actually at athlete at that size and has amazing hands with the ability to distribute the ball out of the post.  MJ is a muscle and hustle guy but hes not known for having good handles or having the ability to find guys moving without the ball other than just passing it back to the top of the arc.  Roby can hit the shot, flash down the lane and pass out to an open shooter, or just thrown it down like he did last night.  I think you will see much more of him when teams go zone on us to break said zone up.

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but one of his assists out of the high post was actually a left-handed pass.  Most players would switch to their dominant hand, but Roby recognized that space was only available if he threw it in lefty.  The kid has great vision and ball-handling for someone with his youth and size.

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Didn't get to watch any moment of the game...did we do anything different offensively? Could this team be better away from home?

Continued aggression into the paint. Also had 13 steals on the game that helped to fuel 21 points off of turnovers. Finally, made 3s. We're 8-1 when we make 6+ three pointers. 

The reason those freshman are playing as well as they are is because they weren't thrown into the fire right away.  Early in the season Horne couldn't guard anyone, Roby was always a step slow and Jordy was fouling everyone.  The way Miles used them and broke them in is the reason they are playing so well right now.

They have a picture of one of our guys laughing and shaking Jordy's hand while their guy was on the floor, supposedly.  And then this guy also pulled out the gif of Tim being held back last year after as he was screaming at Creen in our game at the Vault.

Imsaid during the game that is the kind of foul that Jordy will get booed for the rest of his life by IU fans, even if he didn't mean to do it and the tweets after won't mean a thing to a die hard fan like this guy is.  

Check out his tweeter,  his christmas tree tells a lot about a person.

Edited by Silverbacked1

2 minutes ago, twinswingohuskers said:

The reason those freshman are playing as well as they are is because they weren't thrown into the fire right away.  Early in the season Horne couldn't guard anyone, Roby was always a step slow and Jordy was fouling everyone.  The way Miles used them and broke them in is the reason they are playing so well right now.

And it helps that Roby is finally healthy.

57 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Indiana centric post game, but the observation about 8:00 in about the role non-conference play may or may not have factored into this game was interesting.

"Nebraska came in not impressing anybody."

"[Indiana's] execution was awful."

Constant mention of the loss to Gardner-Webb and close outcome against Southern yet no mention about Dayton, UCLA, Virginia Tech, or Clemson.

"[Indiana's] going to drop out of the Top 25 and be the underdog."

"We can debate if Nebraska is reasonably good or not."

"If [Robert Johnson] plays even 12 or 14 minutes in the second half, I think IU wins by 8 points."

"The last time I checked, the three guys who have NBA potential aspirations, were all on Indiana's side... I don't think Glynn Watson or Tai Webster are on a lot of NBA draft boards, but those two guys were the two best players on the court tonight."

I stopped watching somewhere around the 25 min mark.

Edited by HuskerFever

A day after...a few additional observations, or perhaps emphasized observations:

• We are a good offensive team when we push tempo.  The word aggressive is often heard.  Why do we make a decision to walk the ball up the court?  Don't know the answer, but the observation seems to have legs.
  • Our freshmen are needed for us to be successful.  Being a freshman is no longer an excuse. 
  • The difference in each remaining game will come down to just a few good/bad possessions.  Sounds sophomoric.  Last night seemed to have ebbs and flows, but in this game, we didn't let a few physical mistakes manifest into a number of mental mistakes.  We had a few, but not a significant number which seemed to show that we are maturing as a team.
  • We have played in two very venerable venues this year, and in both cases, were not intimidated.  That again tells me that we are maturing as a team.
  • One remaining question (Perhaps there are many, many more) but the concern is that this team tends to play to the level of its competition.  We need to continue to play well against high level teams, but we also need to play at a high level against less talented teams.  In addition, we have struggled more on our home court, then on the road.  We need to play at a high level on the road, but it is imperative that we take care of our home court.  By the way, by playing well at home, we will win the band wagon riders back.

Just as an "out there" thought.  At least since gardner-Webb it seems out there.

We just won a game we probably shouldn't have won.  On the road.  Can we go say... 3-5 in our remaining road games (including Rutgers and iowa... two games I think we legitimately win) and 6-3 at home?

15-14 and 10-8... That's an nit resume if we can go 2-1 in the tournament and make it above .500 on div1 wins.  Borderline ncaa given our schedule (15-14 with #5 sos is about rpi 48-55).

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Nebraska.html

Mind blowing how one win makes things look not-awful.

23 minutes ago, kleitus said:

Just as an "out there" thought.  At least since gardner-Webb it seems out there.

We just won a game we probably shouldn't have won.  On the road.  Can we go say... 3-5 in our remaining road games (including Rutgers and iowa... two games I think we legitimately win) and 6-3 at home?

15-14 and 10-8... That's an nit resume if we can go 2-1 in the tournament and make it above .500 on div1 wins.  Borderline ncaa given our schedule (15-14 with #5 sos is about rpi 48-55).

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Nebraska.html

Mind blowing how one win makes things look not-awful.

Just goes back to @Norm Peterson's point in the other thread. Don't make too much out of any single game one way or the other. I think if we see them continue to play decent defense, push more on offense, use Roby when we see a zone, see the bulk of our 3's coming from Horne, Tai and Watson and stay healthy, you'll see more games like this than we saw vs. Gardner-Webb. The evidence over the course of the year actually supports that, too.

Edited by uneblinstu

2 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

The next game against Maryland is going to be tough.  The Terps beat Illinois by 25 (84-59) two days ago.  And Maryland's record is now 13-1.

They also get to the line a lot and shoot a lot of 3s. They also don't start 3 guards.  I'm still skeptical about how we match up vs this sort of lineup.

I hate living in the past but man I feel like that Gardner - Webb loss hurts even more now. I think it will come back to bite us really hard. Could be the difference between .500+ record or not. Or even (and hopefully we do this well) NCAA Tournament bid or not.

Anyway, what a great win. Go into a blue blood programs home court and end their 25 game home winning streak.

-Tai and Glynn proved they are on of the better back courts in the Big Ten. And they need to be with how thin our gaurd depth is.

-Ed is a beast. That's probably about the 1000th time that's been said this season.

-Seems like Roby played his best game of the year. He is definitely special.

-Absolutely giddy to see Horne follow up with another good game. Playing well at home v. Southern is one thing but doing so at Assembly Hall against a nationally ranked team is another.

-I thought Jordy played decent. Not a great game statistically but he was also playing against really good competition

-Both ET and Jacobson are glue guys who are gonna play defense and give 100% every game. Definitely need that.

-Still want to find a way to get Jack going. Can never have too much 3pt shooting

14 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Just listened to the pre and post game on radio. Roby was supposed to come in and play point of the bench.  He didn't because of how well Glynn was playing. Something to keep tabs on going forward as Roby is one way to fill in on your lack of guard depth.

Roby at point has got to be one of the more intriguing prospects this season.  Assuming he is quick enough to keep the ball from being stollen by an extremely-quick-but-small guard, how is the opposition going to defend him at the point?