uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 13 - @ Indiana

uneblinstu

Post Game Notes

*-Nebraska snapped No. 16 Indiana’s 26-game home winning streak. It was the fourth-longest streak in the country.
*-Nebraska’s 87 points was a season high and second straight game the Huskers have scored 80+ points.
*-Tonight’s win marked the first time in six tries that Nebraska beat a ranked Indiana team and also the second-time in four years that Nebraska won in Bloomington.
*-Nebraska snapped an eight-game losing streak to ranked AP teams, and was 0-3 this season vs. ranked opponents before tonight’s win.
*-Tonight’s win over Indiana was the Hoosiers’ first loss to a unranked team since a loss to Michigan State on March 7, 2015.
*-Nebraska held Indiana to 36 first-half points, the Hoosiers’ lowest first-half total at home and the second-lowest first-half total of the season.
*-Ed Morrow recorded a career-high five blocked shots, including three in the first half. It marked the third time this season he blocked three or more shots this season. It is the most blocked shots by a Husker since Jorge Brian Diaz vs. Florida Gulf Coast on Dec. 7, 2011.
*-Morrow posted his third career double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds
*-Jeriah Horne continued his hot-shooting with 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting, including a team-high eight in the first half. 
*-Nebraska had a season-high 13 steals, including five from Glynn Watson Jr. and four from Tai Webster. It marked Watson’s third game this season with five steals as he leads the conference in that category.
*-Tonight marks the third time this season NU had a pair of 20-point scorers (also La Tech and Sacramento State), as Glynn Watson finished with 26 (one of his career high) while Tai Webster added 21 markers.

I think that we kind of  Gardner-Webbed them.  

Long time off, check

quiet crowd, check

no students, check

didn't respect opponent till to late, check

visiting team plays really well, check

Of course things are different but some are kind of the same,  also could see it at Maryland because they have hugh student crowds for big games.  Not that we would be a big game for them but they won't have that big student crowd they are know for.  We have also played in some gyms this year without many people in them, could also helpus.  Anything to gain an edge.

Or I am full of it...:blink:

2 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I think that we kind of  Gardner-Webbed them.  

Long time off, check

quiet crowd, check

no students, check

didn't respect opponent till to late, check

visiting team plays really well, check

Of course things are different but some are kind of the same,  also could see it at Maryland because they have hugh student crowds for big games.  Not that we would be a big game for them but they won't have that big student crowd they are know for.  We have also played in some gyms this year without many people in them, could also helpus.  Anything to gain an edge.

Or I am full of it...:blink:

You forgot to mention they play Louisville on Saturday, and Wisconsin on Tuesday!

This was the first game of the season where Miles finally trusted the great talent he has recruited here.  He gave extended minutes to the three freshmen out of necessity and, guess what?  It turns out he is a phenomenal recruiter and we do have high end B1G talent.  They are young, but they are certainly not outmatched, talent-wise.  We had better guards, and Morrow went toe-to-toe with Bryant.  

The Gill injury kept the ball in Watson's hands, honestly, and that's where it should've been all season.  He needs to log huge minutes for us to be successful.  He and Tai are among the best guard combo in the B1G when they're on the court at the same time.  Taylor needs to give spot minutes to each in addition to playing the 3 on occasion.  

Freshmen:

I'm not sure what more Roby needs to do to earn a starting position.  He was dominant.  He's the biggest matchup problem we can put on the court.  He needs to log big minutes for us to win.  He is an elite B1G athlete and I trust the ball in his hands.  It's extremely rare to be able to do what he does at 6'8".  We can run an offense through him and he is the ultimate zone buster from the high post.  I am so glad this kid is suiting up for us.  

Horne was great.  Wow can he ever fill it up fast, and what a quick release.  He leaves a lot to be desired defensively, but that's coming around.  He's a great option at the 4, and a good change of pace from Jacobson.  

I thought Jordy played well.  Bryant may be the best center in the country, so this was one game I expected Jordy to get worked.  He held his ground and played physical--that's all we could ask from him tonight, especially since both Morrow and Jacobson played their absolute hearts out on the glass tonight.  

This was a great win, and a barometer of what we have, talent-wise.  There's no question we have a roster to compete for the next several years, but here's to hoping they might've learned how to win THIS season tonight. 

Quality Win.  
I've been hard on Miles of late, but this was one hell of a coaching job both from an x's and o's and also motivation and mental fortitude of the team.  

According to Warren Nolan, we went from 102 to 68. 

Pretty impressive to fight like we did in that environment from start to finish - had more than a few opportunities where it would've been easy to fold the tents and give in, but the guys just played tougher.

To have 3 true freshmen on the floor for a good chunk of the game and not have them give in to the pressure was impressive.

That last rebound and put back Ed had was unreal - he set the screen at the top of the key and crashed all the way through the lane in a hurry to pick up the hustle rebound.

And I think we found ourselves against the zone tonight - LOVE having Roby as the guy flashing in the middle. He makes things go. And he looked as cool as possible draining those 2 FTs late. Huge step forward for him tonight.

It's not the x's and o's it's the jimmy's and joe's

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was pretty down on Miles, and no conclusions can obviously be made until after the season. I think the hot seat talk may have knocked some sense into Miles. Roby had 21 minutes against Indiana, Horne had 17 minutes against Indiana....this is the formula I want to see, and probably the one that gives us a punchers chance in every B1G game.

I was pretty down on Miles, and no conclusions can obviously be made until after the season. I think the hot seat talk may have knocked some sense into Miles. Roby had 21 minutes against Indiana, Horne had 17 minutes against Indiana....this is the formula I want to see, and probably the one that gives us a punchers chance in every B1G game.

Horne and roby seem to feed of each other. Im hoping to see more of them 2 at the same time

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I think having Taylor this year has allowed Glynn to be better on O, because he doesn't have to defend the best guy on the other team.  Taylor can do that and it helps Glynn a bunch.

MJ is struggling some this year, but diving on the floor, 9 rebounds, keeping the ball alive twice where Ed got it to score.  Allows Ed to play so that he can come over and make the block like he did tonight.

When everything falls into place like coach and we know it can and should, we are a team to worry about.  HOWEVER, we have a very thin line to walk to play like we did tonight every night, and that is why be the biggest reason we are 7-6 right now.

I have also have  gone back and given just about everybody an up arrow, even Baller twice, becuase he has the right to say what he wants as long as it isn't in a troll like way, (DO I need to name names?):D

2 minutes ago, Thattimeofyear4 said:

Horne and roby seem to feed of each other. Im hoping to see more of them 2 at the same time

Combined 19 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists in 38 total minutes?  Combined 64% shooting and 60% from three?  Against the #16 team in the country?  On the road?

If they continue the trajectory they're on, I want to see more of the two of them period, same times, different times, whichever.

15 minutes ago, Thattimeofyear4 said:

We might not see a lot of 2-3 zone when Roby and Horne are on the floor together.  Isaiah was doing a great job in the high post finding the gap in the zone and making a pass to an open shooter.  If he ever decides he's capable of hitting that mid-range jumper, look out.

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We might not see a lot of 2-3 zone when Roby and Horne are on the floor together.  Isaiah was doing a great job in the high post finding the gap in the zone and making a pass to an open shooter.  If he ever decides he's capable of hitting that mid-range jumper, look out.

Maryland was throwing zone at Illinois with great results so we'll definitely see it.