WBB: Game #12 vs Connecticut

Row6Seat10

Auriemma impressed with Husker fans' support

Nebraska, a team in transition that finished its nonconference schedule 4-8, drew 7,553 on a midweek night during the week before Christmas. To put that into perspective, that’s bigger than three crowds Connecticut has drawn at home this season.

“I wasn’t surprised by it,” Auriemma said after his team’s 84-41 victory Wednesday night. “I think this particular school, number one, has a tremendous fan base and a very passionate fan base. We were talking, I’m sure if they were undefeated, there would’ve been 10, 11, 12 thousand people here, probably.

“But they’re in a transition period here in their program. That doesn’t mean the fans doesn’t appreciate what they’re trying to do and support them. I’m sure if this game was on a weekend, we would’ve had even more people.”

“It’s going to take time,” he said. “Whenever you change coaches, whenever you have some of the turnover they’ve had, it’s going to take some time. That doesn’t change the atmosphere in this building.

“This is one of the best buildings in all of America. I really, thoroughly enjoyed my last visit here, and nothing’s changed my mind.”

I know this is not necessarily comparing apples to apples.

Starters shot 15%

Reserves shot 42%

Starters 9 assists 19 turnovers

Reserves 6 assists 5 turnovers

I have eluded to this and I'll go back to how much damage did the investigation do, cause our vets are not playing team ball.  I am very encouraged by the future and wonder, should we start letting the tail wag the dog a little bit?  It might help the veterans air it out and get together as a team.

I am behind those freshman all the way.  Let them play, let them play, let them play.  They don't seem to have the issues with the chemistry problems like we are seeing with a few of the others.  One thing that has me scratching my head - what in the world is going on with the poor conditioning of Jess and Darrien?  They look like they are struggling to get up and down the court.  There were even a few times where there was a loose ball on a rebound near Jess and she just let it go rather than attempt to gain possession, and I think it was because she was tired.

16 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

The biggest stat I see as simply amazing is the steals by UConn....16 amazing ball hawing steals. You play defense like that and you are in a class by itself. Not sure you can coach that...but it's pretty much from God given skills and hard work.... and Gino.

And like Row said....if some shots had dropped in the first half....we could have looked a little better. Have to realize though....UConn.s defense around the basket is very tough...they close to the basket unselfishly, and play team defense...the Gino way.

Speaking of Gino....I appreciate his words about our young squad.....his eyesight may be clearer than mine at times, this year.

Edited by redsteve

4 hours ago, caveman said:

I know this is not necessarily comparing apples to apples.

Starters shot 15%

Reserves shot 42%

Starters 9 assists 19 turnovers

Reserves 6 assists 5 turnovers

Caveman you beat me to the punch on the statistics.  On my long drive home from the game last night I was thinking how at the start of the 1st and 3rd quarters we were really outplayed.  So I added up some of the stats. and came to the same conclusion you did.  I would add to those the fact that the rebounds were very close and also that the starters averaged about 5 minutes more playing time each then the next 5.  i don't want to speculate why several of our more experienced players are struggling but will be interested if coach Williams makes some changes going into conference play.  With the exception of Nicea our starters looked tight and the freshmen looked relaxed.   Grace really worked hard and has really shown improvement.  Overall it was a fun night at PBA and the crowd gave a good round of applause for both teams at the conclusion of the game which was very classy.  GBR.

11 minutes ago, HUD said:

Caveman you beat me to the punch on the statistics.  On my long drive home from the game last night I was thinking how at the start of the 1st and 3rd quarters we were really outplayed.  So I added up some of the stats. and came to the same conclusion you did.  I would add to those the fact that the rebounds were very close and also that the starters averaged about 5 minutes more playing time each then the next 5.  i don't want to speculate why several of our more experienced players are struggling but will be interested if coach Williams makes some changes going into conference play.  With the exception of Nicea our starters looked tight and the freshmen looked relaxed.   Grace really worked hard and has really shown improvement.  Overall it was a fun night at PBA and the crowd gave a good round of applause for both teams at the conclusion of the game which was very classy.  GBR.

Outplayed: 

That is no accident....that's a characteristic of any top level team...Gino knows it,  and the purpose is to set the "tone" of the game.  Win the first qtr, and put the pressure on the other team to keep up. The opening of the 3rd....same thing....that's how it's done. UConn has the ability to do it, and it's coached.

We've done it ourselves in the past...we'll get there again

Edited by redsteve

I am hopeful about our youngsters.  Last night Nicea was our brightest star.  She was working hard all night, flying all over the place.  Grace fought really hard all night in the paint.  I thought it was her best effort yet this year.  She has a pretty shot and, hopefully, will use it more.  I thought Hannah was our calmest player.  We need her on the court more because our other guards let the defense get into their heads and press too hard.  We also need her to be prepared to shoot more.  She has this simple, smooth shot that is pretty to watch (not to mention effective).

Our veterans did not play well.  Esther and Jasmine passed the ball like they were in a pickup game, not playing the best team in the country.  Jess - well, Gino said she has skills that would be effective if she got in shape.

15 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

I think the most encouraging part of the game came in the 4th quarter when the Huskers played predominately freshmen. The horde of fans that decided to leave at the end of the third quarter missed the best part of the game. Granted it was against the second team of UConn  but their bench could be rated in the top 25. The four frosh of Eliely, Whitish, Mitchell and Casio-Jensen did a pretty good job playing against the Huskies. My game ball goes to Hannah Whitish it looks like she's really starting to get comfortable on both ends of the court and she's got a great looking shot that she's getting to drop for her. I like the fact she's not afraid to drive the lane and dish it off to an open teammate. The kid needs to be put into the starting line-up soon.

Lot of missed bunnies the first half. Had we got some of those to fall we might of scored another dozen points. Was hoping we'd score more than 46 as that's what we put up against them last year. We only shot 4 three throws the whole game.  

Really good to see Noah doing his thing back behind the bucket tonight!

Yep, been saying it for a few weeks. Hannah would do real well in a starters spot.  I'd be willing to bet a large coffee at Buckey's C store on it

And yep again....she's playing both ends of the court. Has the BBall IQ. She really has begun to get it. On one play last night she fell on the floor trying to keep from getting blocked out a UConn player.....pure hustle.  Easy to see why she was a player of the year in Whisky.

I'll say it again...next year we'll be a much different and improved team, and more complete team when we get the 2 red shirts, Taylor K. in school, and Rachel back. :D .....We do need another rebounding big.

Sorry for all the diatribes...got to much time on my hands during the Holidays.

Edited by redsteve

@Redsteve, yes those the UConn players are very skilled; but honestly I'd say good defense is about 10% skill and 90% effort. The effort part can be coached! I guarantee from the very first day of practice at UConn it's drilled into them how hard they're going to have work (on both ends) to be successful. The old saying, "offense wins games, defense wins championships" holds true to this day. I really do like Coach Amy and all the staff, but if I had to have 1 criticism of the team is that they just don't play hard enough imo. They don't get down in a stance, get in passing lanes, make the ball handler work, box out, etc. They make lazy passes. I feel like alot of this could be remedied if the intensity was raised. This "lazy" play is where a hard-nosed Coach would've nipped it in the bud a long time ago. I'm gonna show Nicea some tape of herself so she can see where she needs to improve. But most of it is all about effort and intensity!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Actualfacts1 said:

@Redsteve, yes those the UConn players are very skilled; but honestly I'd say good defense is about 10% skill and 90% effort. The effort part can be coached! I guarantee from the very first day of practice at UConn it's drilled into them how hard they're going to have work (on both ends) to be successful. The old saying, "offense wins games, defense wins championships" holds true to this day. I really do like Coach Amy and all the staff, but if I had to have 1 criticism of the team is that they just don't play hard enough imo. They don't get down in a stance, get in passing lanes, make the ball handler work, box out, etc. They make lazy passes. I feel like alot of this could be remedied if the intensity was raised. This "lazy" play is where a hard-nosed Coach would've nipped it in the bud a long time ago. I'm gonna show Nicea some tape of herself so she can see where she needs to improve. But most of it is all about effort and intensity!!

Agree Actual....I too believe defense wins games/championships. Pretty sure, in fact I have posted the same here before.

UConn is in a different place than we are...as are the majority of teams all over the US......not to say we shouldn't or can't be. Gino has his pick every year, of the top athletic recruits. Probably has dozens that are asking to go there. So he can demand, and get the athleticism, and dedication, and hard work ethic when he's recruiting. .......Or you don't get picked to go there.  Once they're there....play hard in all phases.... sit the bench....or transfer. But he is known for getting players to ....play his way.

Most players we have now need to learn just what you and I are talking about. And continue to dedicate themselves to it. We have kids coming in that have excelled on the offense, and have to learn to play just as hard on defense. Connie's team's were taught to play good defense. 

Just don't think we're there yet, and to me it's understandable. Can't help but think Coach Williams would love to be in the same boat as UConn is defensibly....it's got to be her goal.....but it will take time.  There are simply so many things to work on, can't do them all in right away...let alone everything in one year.

Frankly, Coach is in a tough spot...most of the team has played with a different coach(s), and are to some extent, being told to do some things differently...and work harder. They may take it well, or not so well. Four freshmen...rookies...just have so much to learn. We can't afford to lose anyone, for any reason right now. Trying to blend all of what they need to get better on... in what ...3 months??  There are some other things but not sure it's helpful to get into now.

Gino is right about all the changes. Change takes time.

In some respects....playing a UConn, show's our kids where they need to go.....what they need to do better. Particularly the young ones can learn from this experience. It looked like it in the second half. Our defense picked up..maybe just from the example being set by UConn.

For that matter, it's great that Nicea works so hard on defense (and her whole game)...have to think the other girls can see it too...NIcea sets a great example to the other freshmen in particular.  Their getting to be better players from her example.

Edited by redsteve

4 hours ago, Actualfacts1 said:

There was SOOOOOOO much debate last year from within the team, aired publicly, about whether Connie pushed her kids too hard.

Supposedly, (I think the published number was 10) players or players and staff went to the administration to complain that Connie bullied the kids.  Then, some other players spoke up in Connie's defense and publicly called out "immature" players who apparently just didn't want to work hard, or so it was felt. 

Former players came to Connie's defense and said they'd watched practices and thought Connie was going easy on the kids.  The male practice players (whose observations some on here thought were not reliable for reasons I still cannot grasp) also defended Connie. 

And now Connie's gone.  And Amy replaced her.  And one truly has to wonder whether Coach Amy feels she's completely free to run the team the way she'd like or whether she's looking over her shoulder worried that AD staff are going to start coming to watch practices and micromanaging her program.

It's a tough spot for a young coach to be in and I feel for her.

I know everyone is severely disappointed over the loss to UConn, especially with the 43 point disparity in scores. :(    But before we all over-react and get too down on ourselves or the team, it may be worthwhile to remember that last year's team also lost;  that time by 42 points, 88-46.  That is the team that also included Rachel Theriot, Natalie Romeo, Anya Kalenta, Kyndall Clark and Rachel Blackburn, none of whom are on this year's team or, in the case of Rachel Blackburn, unable to play. 

Here are links to last year's game thread and game stats for anyone who would like to make their own comparison.  I know playing UConn shows just how much more needs to be done (regarding both last year's team and this year's) by the coaches, And Players, to compete at this level,and we should be the better for it.  What I'm trying to say is that all does not seem lost. 

The Freshmen (3 of the 4 highest scorers and assists), And PBA, Shined last night.  (I thought it was sportsman-like for Geno to acknowledge that -  but then again maybe he was just 'taking it easy' on us.  ;))   And, despite losing to the Undefeated, Number 1 team in the nation, the Huskers position in the Sagarin Ratings actually improved to #121, from #124 before the game. 

Looking at last year's game thread and game stats,  All-in-all I think this year's team results compares quite favorably to last year's results. And this year's team shows a lot of promise, especially considering the up-and-coming talent And incoming talent available next year.

Link to 2015 UConn game thread:

Link 2015 UConn game stats:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1456623&school=conn&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Edited by Red Don

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

There was SOOOOOOO much debate last year from within the team, aired publicly, about whether Connie pushed her kids too hard.

Supposedly, (I think the published number was 10) players or players and staff went to the administration to complain that Connie bullied the kids.  Then, some other players spoke up in Connie's defense and publicly called out "immature" players who apparently just didn't want to work hard, or so it was felt. 

Former players came to Connie's defense and said they'd watched practices and thought Connie was going easy on the kids.  The male practice players (whose observations some on here thought were not reliable for reasons I still cannot grasp) also defended Connie. 

And now Connie's gone.  And Amy replaced her.  And one truly has to wonder whether Coach Amy feels she's completely free to run the team the way she'd like or whether she's looking over her shoulder worried that AD staff are going to start coming to watch practices and micromanaging her program.

It's a tough spot for a young coach to be in and I feel for her.

Not going to get into the Connie thing, it's been pretty well hashed over at length....over and over again.

Discipline takes many forms. Some coaches yell and scream, and look to get results from the intensity and volume of their own voice. Don't know many that like having someones finger in their face.... That's bulling.

Some coaches can develop well disciplined, and motivated teams with out all the shouting. Tom O. was one (took 25 years)...Gino (18 years?) he may be another that gets respect from the players, and yet can ask a lot, from his players. It's a two way street (respect) between the coach and the individual player.  But it gets results. 

It's riding the fine line between the two methods that is done by the best coaches. Appears that Coach Williams's is taking the later route. We'll see how it works, but will take a couple of years to develop that aura. (chemistry)

Edited by redsteve

14 hours ago, Red Don said:

I know everyone is severely disappointed over the loss to UConn, especially with the 43 point disparity in scores. :(    But before we all over-react and get too down on ourselves or the team, it may be worthwhile to remember that last year's team also lost;  that time by 42 points, 88-46.  That is the team that also included Rachel Theriot, Natalie Romeo, Anya Kalenta, Kyndall Clark and Rachel Blackburn, none of whom are on this year's team or, in the case of Rachel Blackburn, unable to play. 

Here are links to last year's game thread and game stats for anyone who would like to make their own comparison.  I know playing UConn shows just how much more needs to be done (regarding both last year's team and this year's) by the coaches, And Players, to compete at this level,and we should be the better for it.  What I'm trying to say is that all does not seem lost. 

The Freshmen (3 of the 4 highest scorers and assists), And PBA, Shined last night.  (I thought it was sportsman-like for Geno to acknowledge that -  but then again maybe he was just 'taking it easy' on us.  ;))   And, despite losing to the Undefeated, Number 1 team in the nation, the Huskers position in the Sagarin Ratings actually improved to #121, from #124 before the game. 

Looking at last year's game thread and game stats,  All-in-all I think this year's team results compares quite favorably to last year's results. And this year's team shows a lot of promise, especially considering the up-and-coming talent And incoming talent available next year.

Link to 2015 UConn game thread:

Link 2015 UConn game stats:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1456623&school=conn&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

I'm not disappointed, I thought the team played one of their better games. I was expecting a lot less.

Edited by Bugeaters1

13 minutes ago, Merlin said:

At some point the player has to do the work. First you have to admit you have a problem, and decide what you want to do about it. The coach can only do so much. 

Maybe Geno's comment will light a fire in her to get better.  Jess is a talent but has disappeared in games with excellent post defense.  

22 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Maybe Geno's comment will light a fire in her to get better.  Jess is a talent but has disappeared in games with excellent post defense.  

Jess isn't stupid. She has to of gotten the message.....and Gino's in particular.  And if you read else where, Coach Amy is instituting new conditioning plans.

Jess isn't the only one that could do some laps to get in better shape. UConn certainly proved the advantages of being in top shape.

These are just examples of all the many things that will take time.... to get us all where we want to be..especially the team.