Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues (2017)

While we are doing all this fine outside the box thinking here, I'll add a couple of modest proposals. Dave Bliss came off his 10 year suspension in 2015 and would probably jump at the chance to redeem his reputation. Ted Owens would probably love to resume coaching and build the program so that his son could take over when he retires again. Oh, and let's not forget Danny Nee is presently unemployed.

26 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

While we are doing all this fine outside the box thinking here, I'll add a couple of modest proposals. Dave Bliss came off his 10 year suspension in 2015 and would probably jump at the chance to redeem his reputation. Ted Owens would probably love to resume coaching and build the program so that his son could take over when he retires again. Oh, and let's not forget Danny Nee is presently unemployed.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And might I add and yes I am going there "Dig up Joe"

I can't believe nobody has brought up the obvious "money-whipping" target - let's go all Michigan style and get Tyronn Lue!  I mean everyone says we just roll out the money bag and we can get coaches, why not go for it all and get an alum that currently has a world championship?

For the record, I stand behind Miles.

20 minutes ago, Buglem said:

I can't believe nobody has brought up the obvious "money-whipping" target - let's go all Michigan style and get Tyronn Lue!  I mean everyone says we just roll out the money bag and we can get coaches, why not go for it all and get an alum that currently has a world championship?

For the record, I stand behind Miles.

Okay I will be that guy for the sake of keeping the discussion going.  Yes Lue has a World Championship but that because what he did or is it because of the talent he inherited?  Could he assemble the kind of talent that it would take to win in Lincoln (or any University) if there was no pocketbook to use or if he didn't have guys wanting to come to town to play with the best player in the league?

Again not saying he couldn't but - discuss.

Fred Hoiberg - Chicago Bulls

Born in Lincoln, NE

Write-up about Hoiberg while he was coaching Iowa St:

Iowa State was a No. 3 seed in the NCAA tournament a year ago and reached the Sweet Sixteen, where the Cyclones lost to eventual champion UCONN.

Iowa State scored 83.0 points per game to make them the fifth most prolific scoring team in the country. Fred Hoiberg, head coach and a native son, will take his chances with his smaller lineups. His 91 wins in his first four years are the most of any Cyclone coach ever.

SB Nation’s Ricky O’Donnell writes:
Hoiberg's system is simple: open up the floor by playing five shooters and push the ball at every opportunity. The Cyclones rank No. 13 in adjusted tempo this season, per Ken Pomeroy. They aren't jacking as many threes as last year's team, but every starter is a threat from the outside. Sag off any Cyclones player and you're liable to give up three points. That includes center Dustin Hogue.

The Cyclones had the seventh strongest schedule in 2014 and was sixth-highest adjusted offense (118.4). They were also a top-10 team in adjusted offense in 2013 (116.6). Playing in the same conference as Baylor and Kansas, among others, makes Iowa State's accomplishments that much more impressive.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2235045-ranking-the-10-best-offensive-minds-in-college-basketball/page/8

10 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Hoiberg is still with the Bulls correct?  The Bulls are doing well correct? Why would he leave the NBA for Lincoln?

14-13 right now...but only .5  game from missing the playoffs again.  Obviously they still have 50 some games left on the schedule.  Hoiberg is probably a pipe dream, timing would have to be exact. 

Mike Anderson - Arkansas

One of just 10 current Division I head coaches with 10-plus years of experience and no losing seasons, Anderson’s 14 years at the helm of a program have resulted in a 302-162 record, nine 20-win campaigns, seven NCAA Tournament appearances, two Sweet Sixteen berths and a run to the 2009 Elite Eight.

During his first five seasons at Arkansas, Anderson produced a 102-64 record and was the first head coach in program history to win 18 or more games in each of his first four years. Anderson has also re-established Bud Walton Arena as one of the toughest places to play and brought excitement back to the tradition-rich program. In his first five years, Arkansas has won 80 games (80-12) in Bud Walton Arena, including an arena-record 17 during each of his first three years. The 2012-13 squad posted just the third unbeaten SEC home record (9-0) in program history and the first since 1998. The success on-and-off the court has translated into fan support as Arkansas returned to the top 25 in national attendance the first four years, including No. 11 in 2014-15.

Fans caught a glimpse of the glory days in 2014-15, as the Razorbacks returned to both the NCAA Tournament and SEC Tournament championship game for the first time since 2008. Highlighted by a victory over Southern Conference champ Wofford in the second round of the NCAA Tournament and a program record six SEC road wins, Arkansas produced the sixth-most wins in program history with a 27-9 record. Of course, the up-tempo style of play donned the “Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” reached another level, as the Razorbacks led the SEC in five different statistical categories, including scoring (77.4), assists (16.1) and turnover margin (+3.8).

The Arkansas faithful witnessed the benefits of the coach Nolan Richardson-era style of play that Anderson teaches as the Razorbacks led the SEC in scoring (80.1), assists (15.3), steals (8.4) and turnover margin (+5.5), figures that all ranked in the top 30 in the nation. Individual development was also critical to Arkansas’ improvement in 2013-14 as Bobby Portis became the sixth freshman in program history to earn All-SEC honors, snagging a spot on the All-SEC second team, SEC All-Freshman squad and USBWA All-District VII team.

Anderson’s ability to change the direction of programs is nothing new. He inherited a program at Missouri that had been sub-.500 for two consecutive years and within three seasons, Anderson rejuvenated the program and had the Tigers dancing toward the Sweet 16. He guided Missouri to an overall record of 111-56 (.665) in five years with 13 wins over ranked opponents, four NCAA Tournament victories and a 75-13 mark at home.

Adapting his style of play from his mentor and Hall of Fame coach, Nolan Richardson, Anderson’s teams are known for playing “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball.” His up-tempo style and tough defense allowed Missouri to make the biggest turnaround in college basketball during the 2008-09 season, when the Tigers went from 16-16 in Anderson’s second season to 31-7 a year later. The turnaround of the Missouri program was not lost on the national analysts as he was named the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) National Coach of the Year and the Clair Bee Coach of the Year in 2009 after he led the Tigers to the Big 12 Tournament championship and NCAA Tournament Elite Eight.

Anderson’s “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” has resulted in his team’s ranking among the nation’s elite in multiple statistical categories, while compiling some staggering numbers that have resulted in opponents fearing the up-tempo style of play. Anderson’s clubs have led the nation in steals four times and have been in the top 10 in steals nine of 15 years, while finishing in the top 30 in scoring eight times. Since 2002-03, Anderson’s teams have accounted for five of the 28 team totals around the country of 350-plus steals in a season, while he has won the turnover battle in 382 of 464 career games.

The influence of “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” has been obvious in Anderson’s return to Fayetteville as the Razorbacks finished in the top 10 in turnover margin and top 20 in steals during each of the last three seasons. Last season, Arkansas ranked in the top 25 nationally in assist/turnover ratio (18th), turnover margin (17th) and blocked shots per game (22nd).

Anderson led Missouri to the NCAA Tournament during each of his final three years with the program. His 2008-09 squad marched all the way to the Elite Eight, defeating nationally-ranked Marquette and Memphis, before falling to Connecticut. He returned the Tigers to the postseason in 2009-10, leading Mizzou to the second round of the tournament and completed the trifecta with a second round exit in 2010-11.

Missouri’s success was due in large part to Anderson and his coaching staff, who searched for the best talent available to fill the needs of “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball.” That search led to back-to-back Big 12 Newcomers of the Year, Missouri’s first Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and Sixth Man of the Year and multiple All-Big 12 honors. Missouri’s 2010 recruiting class was the best in the Big 12 and ranked in the top 10 in the nation by every recruiting service.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/mike-anderson/

44 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Mike Anderson - Arkansas

One of just 10 current Division I head coaches with 10-plus years of experience and no losing seasons, Anderson’s 14 years at the helm of a program have resulted in a 302-162 record, nine 20-win campaigns, seven NCAA Tournament appearances, two Sweet Sixteen berths and a run to the 2009 Elite Eight.

During his first five seasons at Arkansas, Anderson produced a 102-64 record and was the first head coach in program history to win 18 or more games in each of his first four years. Anderson has also re-established Bud Walton Arena as one of the toughest places to play and brought excitement back to the tradition-rich program. In his first five years, Arkansas has won 80 games (80-12) in Bud Walton Arena, including an arena-record 17 during each of his first three years. The 2012-13 squad posted just the third unbeaten SEC home record (9-0) in program history and the first since 1998. The success on-and-off the court has translated into fan support as Arkansas returned to the top 25 in national attendance the first four years, including No. 11 in 2014-15.

Fans caught a glimpse of the glory days in 2014-15, as the Razorbacks returned to both the NCAA Tournament and SEC Tournament championship game for the first time since 2008. Highlighted by a victory over Southern Conference champ Wofford in the second round of the NCAA Tournament and a program record six SEC road wins, Arkansas produced the sixth-most wins in program history with a 27-9 record. Of course, the up-tempo style of play donned the “Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” reached another level, as the Razorbacks led the SEC in five different statistical categories, including scoring (77.4), assists (16.1) and turnover margin (+3.8).

The Arkansas faithful witnessed the benefits of the coach Nolan Richardson-era style of play that Anderson teaches as the Razorbacks led the SEC in scoring (80.1), assists (15.3), steals (8.4) and turnover margin (+5.5), figures that all ranked in the top 30 in the nation. Individual development was also critical to Arkansas’ improvement in 2013-14 as Bobby Portis became the sixth freshman in program history to earn All-SEC honors, snagging a spot on the All-SEC second team, SEC All-Freshman squad and USBWA All-District VII team.

Anderson’s ability to change the direction of programs is nothing new. He inherited a program at Missouri that had been sub-.500 for two consecutive years and within three seasons, Anderson rejuvenated the program and had the Tigers dancing toward the Sweet 16. He guided Missouri to an overall record of 111-56 (.665) in five years with 13 wins over ranked opponents, four NCAA Tournament victories and a 75-13 mark at home.

Adapting his style of play from his mentor and Hall of Fame coach, Nolan Richardson, Anderson’s teams are known for playing “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball.” His up-tempo style and tough defense allowed Missouri to make the biggest turnaround in college basketball during the 2008-09 season, when the Tigers went from 16-16 in Anderson’s second season to 31-7 a year later. The turnaround of the Missouri program was not lost on the national analysts as he was named the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) National Coach of the Year and the Clair Bee Coach of the Year in 2009 after he led the Tigers to the Big 12 Tournament championship and NCAA Tournament Elite Eight.

Anderson’s “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” has resulted in his team’s ranking among the nation’s elite in multiple statistical categories, while compiling some staggering numbers that have resulted in opponents fearing the up-tempo style of play. Anderson’s clubs have led the nation in steals four times and have been in the top 10 in steals nine of 15 years, while finishing in the top 30 in scoring eight times. Since 2002-03, Anderson’s teams have accounted for five of the 28 team totals around the country of 350-plus steals in a season, while he has won the turnover battle in 382 of 464 career games.

The influence of “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” has been obvious in Anderson’s return to Fayetteville as the Razorbacks finished in the top 10 in turnover margin and top 20 in steals during each of the last three seasons. Last season, Arkansas ranked in the top 25 nationally in assist/turnover ratio (18th), turnover margin (17th) and blocked shots per game (22nd).

Anderson led Missouri to the NCAA Tournament during each of his final three years with the program. His 2008-09 squad marched all the way to the Elite Eight, defeating nationally-ranked Marquette and Memphis, before falling to Connecticut. He returned the Tigers to the postseason in 2009-10, leading Mizzou to the second round of the tournament and completed the trifecta with a second round exit in 2010-11.

Missouri’s success was due in large part to Anderson and his coaching staff, who searched for the best talent available to fill the needs of “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball.” That search led to back-to-back Big 12 Newcomers of the Year, Missouri’s first Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and Sixth Man of the Year and multiple All-Big 12 honors. Missouri’s 2010 recruiting class was the best in the Big 12 and ranked in the top 10 in the nation by every recruiting service.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/mike-anderson/

Oh hell no

3 hours ago, colhusker said:

Hoiberg is still with the Bulls correct?  The Bulls are doing well correct? Why would he leave the NBA for Lincoln?

Doing well right now?

Is that what the standard is around here now? Just being .500 or 1 game above is considered well.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

Nebraska can afford almost all of the coaches that I have brought up in this thread. And Anderson is only making $2 Million at Arkansas right now, which is basically what Miles is making here. Anderson has much more success at the power-5 level, so I would imagine that Eichorst would be more willing to give him a bump in pay.

The only pipe-dream that I have brought up in this thread is Hoiberg...and I only brought him up because it was mentioned by Benning and Vrzal on 1620. And the Bulls aren't doing well right now, so he could be looking for a job soon.

I'm sorry, but... If this thread is going to get your jimmies rustled, then please don't read when something is posted.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

5 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

The level of hurt feelings in this thread is a little ridiculous.

Nebraska can afford almost all of the coaches that I have brought up in this thread. And Anderson is only making $2 Million at Arkansas right now, which is basically what Miles is making here. Anderson has much more success at the power-5 level, so I would imagine that Eichorst would be more willing to give him a bump in pay.

The only pipe-dream that I have brought up in this thread is Hoiberg...and I only brought him up because it was mentioned by Benning and Vrzal on 1620. And the Bulls aren't doing well right now, so he could be looking for a job soon.

Ohio State fans seem to be getting tired of this guy.  Might as well add him to the list.

CtilS6uWAAAfNvD.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

The level of hurt feelings in this thread is a little ridiculous.

And here is an idea... If this thread is going to get your jimmies rustled, then don't read when something is posted.

I think most of us are just giving you a hard time.  Sorry if it caused you any problems.  Wish we could write in sarcasm on here less feelings would be hurt.

Edited by Silverbacked1