Who will transfer

Bugeaters1

At this point...no idea, but doubt it. It's way too early to tell...right now everyone's kind of frustrated. We, and they, aren't used to losing this much.

I kind of think the last years transfer, and seniors we lost, plus lost a coaching staff everyone was used to.... have really hurt cohesion and chemistry.

It would have to be freshman probably to transfer, but I would hope they all stay.  I really like them as a group. 

We don't know what the players are being told in practice, or how they feel about what's happening...."the process" is going slow it seems.

But, in practice there are two red shirt guards that are supposed to be pretty good...yet to play...and of course Rachel will be back next year hopefully. If the "new" schemes are in place, plus a lot more experienced, and we'll be a much different team...I still feel we'll be OK.

And we have a 4-5 star recruit shooter coming in.

Edited by redsteve

So we have some struggles and the solution is to transfer?  Why would Jess transfer when she has always wanted to be a Husker?  No one should be surprised by the Creighton victory, they have given us all we can handle the last couple of years.  I am not happy about the struggles but we shouldn't bail on Coach Williams.

38 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

In coach's post game she said that this was the first time that jess had played hard on defense. So what do that do to the re as to the rest of the seeing her not play hard?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OUCH !!!!  :o

Kind of shows why some of the team chemistry is going south. We just have lots of work to do. We've had to start from ground zero...only way is up from here. Go girls !

Edited by redsteve

On 12/19/2016 at 7:24 AM, Bugeaters1 said:

In coach's post game she said that this was the first time that jess had played hard on defense. So what do that do to the re as to the rest of the seeing her not play hard?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wants to score and not defend?  Sounds like she's ready for the NBA All-Star Game.  Figure it will take Williams a couple years to get kids in who fit what she wants to do, if that means some being told their role will be little to none so they go or if someone that Yori brought in doesn't like the change then it would be better to go.

I haven't posted much in this forum since the whole deal with Yori went down and I could have come on here to say "told ya so" to the people who seemed to think the program had maxed out under Yori and was on decline and that, hey, shiny new coach, just what we need.

I haven't done that.  I agreed a long time ago to drop the subject of Yori and get behind the new coaches and the players who remained.

And, in that vein, I have to say I think this thread is profoundly unfair to the new coach.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I haven't posted much in this forum since the whole deal with Yori went down and I could have come on here to say "told ya so" to the people who seemed to think the program had maxed out under Yori and was on decline and that, hey, shiny new coach, just what we need.

I haven't done that.  I agreed a long time ago to drop the subject of Yori and get behind the new coaches and the players who remained.

And, in that vein, I have to say I think this thread is profoundly unfair to the new coach.

It may be unfair to the new coach, But I don't see all of the players on this years roster staying. I hope they do, but I don't see it.

It's pretty early in the scheme of things to get panicky now.  Maybe disappointment is where we are at.  Take a look at Tim Miles and the men's program.  5 years in and we lose to Gardner Webb at home by eight!  I'm starting to panic there.

Of all the players on this year's team only R. Jensen was recruited by Williams and she is still a walk-on.  We only have 2 players now playing that will start next year.  Help is on the way especially if Williams fills the open 3 scholarships for 2017 with high level players besides the three that have signed and a healthy Blackburn returns.  I'm sure she now has a good idea as to what we will need going forward.

1 hour ago, HUD said:

It's pretty early in the scheme of things to get panicky now.  Maybe disappointment is where we are at.  Take a look at Tim Miles and the men's program.  5 years in and we lose to Gardner Webb at home by eight!  I'm starting to panic there.

Of all the players on this year's team only R. Jensen was recruited by Williams and she is still a walk-on.  We only have 2 players now playing that will start next year.  Help is on the way especially if Williams fills the open 3 scholarships for 2017 with high level players besides the three that have signed and a healthy Blackburn returns.  I'm sure she now has a good idea as to what we will need going forward.

The situation with Miles is completely different.  Before he showed up we finished dead last in the conference two of the last 3 years.  We hadn't made the tournament in 15 years.   It was a basement dwelling program.    Success was going to be something new.   In women's hoops, we were a perennial top 25 program, with 2 sweet 16s, multiple post season berths, and conference titles.   While the quality of basketball getting played here now in women's hoops may or may not be reason to "get panicky", a conscious choice by the AD to blow up a strong program, and make it into what is happening on the court now, should involve some accountability. Patience is understandable when you take a last place team and have to start from scratch.   It's less easy to take when you choose to take a strong program and blow it up.  

And what makes you think there are 3 high level players still out there for 2017?    You may luck into an available player who slipped through the cracks or emerged late, but not 3.  Optimism is one thing, delusional thinking is another.  

22 minutes ago, HB said:

And what makes you think there are 3 high level players still out there for 2017?    You may luck into an available player who slipped through the cracks or emerged late, but not 3.  Optimism is one thing, delusional thinking is another.

Let me clear up what high level players mean to me.  First of all stars and ratings have proven to be somewhat over rated at times.  Many examples of such players exist.  My definition are players who fit in and do well in a coaches program irregardless of their ratings.  They continue to develop through out their careers.  One of the best examples of this is Kaylee Jensen from the small school of Genoa Ne.  She wasn't even rated by ESPN coming out of HS but has done quite well in her 3rd season at Oklahoma St.   She is a 6' 4" post who as a soph. starter last year was 2nd team all Big 12 and is leading her undefeated team in most categories this year.  She completely outplayed Chatrice White in the district finals their senior years of HS.  Wasn't recruited very much by Yori.

40 minutes ago, HUD said:

Let me clear up what high level players mean to me.  First of all stars and ratings have proven to be somewhat over rated at times.  Many examples of such players exist.  My definition are players who fit in and do well in a coaches program irregardless of their ratings.  They continue to develop through out their careers.  One of the best examples of this is Kaylee Jensen from the small school of Genoa Ne.  She wasn't even rated by ESPN coming out of HS but has done quite well in her 3rd season at Oklahoma St.   She is a 6' 4" post who as a soph. starter last year was 2nd team all Big 12 and is leading her undefeated team in most categories this year.  She completely outplayed Chatrice White in the district finals their senior years of HS.  Wasn't recruited very much by Yori.

Did Kaylee Jensen play for a club, and, if so, which one?  I've become more and more convinced that a lot of these rankings are directly related to how well the club coach you play for talks you up and promotes you and less and less on what you do on the court.  Sorry, I've become jaded in my old age.

49 minutes ago, HUD said:

Yep, just another big mistake by that bad Yori.  Wonder how she ever won a game here?   I guess we'll see where we're at in 3-4 years by comparison.  And, as for ratings, stars and ratings aren't always right, but Cayton and Doyle have looked pretty good so far  (As has Eilely.)   Did Jensen sign in the spring?

Edited by HB

51 minutes ago, HUD said:

That really didn't clear anything up.  The question was what makes you think there are still three "high level" (however you define them) players still available?  Who are those "high level" players you think we still can land?

What's the history of unrated (in terms of recruiting services) players panning out as "high level" when signed in May versus when signed in November?  Is there a lot of success locating "high level" players in the spring who somehow flew under everyone's radars until then?  Is the selection of "high level" players who didn't get noticed by recruiting services still pretty good at this point?

Do you have a high degree of confidence that we'll be able to find three otherwise unnoticed "high level" players when the spring signing period rolls around?  Because it sounds like the HUD Plan for Success involves finding not one or two but three "high level" players this spring and I've just never seen anything that would give me any confidence that such players would still be out there in sufficient numbers that you could have any level of confidence of not only finding but signing them.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 minute ago, redsteve said:

At one point a few weeks ago, Coach Williams already said she won't be taking anyone else for 2017

Thanks redsteve I missed that.  Guess I shouldn't have brought the topic up as it seems to have gotten some knots in a few peoples shorts.  I do think that  Kylee Jensen will go down as one of our biggest misses in recruiting.

34 minutes ago, HUD said:

Thanks redsteve I missed that.  Guess I shouldn't have brought the topic up as it seems to have gotten some knots in a few peoples shorts.  I do think that  Kylee Jensen will go down as one of our biggest misses in recruiting.

Go ahead and measure by our misses if you like.  We had one helluva lot of hits that I will remember.  Was great watching them play. We won a ton with those hits; more than any time in men's or women's basketball history in Nebraska.   We'll see where we're at in a few years, but right it is painful, despite all the "fun" predicted by some in advance of the season. 

I have enjoyed this board that last several years, but honestly have become very troubled by a lot of the discussions on here.  The women's team is in a tough spot right now, and its not going to get any easier anytime soon.  But for so many uniformed adults to come out of the wood work and take pot shots at coaches, and kids, who most have never met is troubling.  Some kids might transfer, and if the do hopefully it is based on a well thought out decision between the kid, their parents, and the coaches.  Not because some old guy who has never met them is convinced they can't play.  The reality is a "perfect (crap) storm" caused by a whole bunch of people - coaches, administrators, support staff, media, parents, etc.-- got the situation to where it is today.  Maybe some of the current and former players have some culpability in that, maybe they don't, but in my opinion to take pot shots at kids who people have never met is unfortunate. For adults to hope kids are asked to uproot their lives and educations and not return is equally unfortunate. Might it improve the team quicker, sure.  One need look no farther than Colorado State for the burn and start over approach.  They were awful Ryan Williams first year and he asked most of the team including starters to not come back.  They replaced them with about 8 foreigners the next year and improved dramatically.  The guy can flat coach, and can obviously win, but i will never root for them because of how that situation was handled. The ncaa changed the rules two years ago i think and scholarships are no longer one year renewables so that approach is harder to pull off than it was before.  However, a coach can still tell a kid listen you aren't going to get in and some might leave when told that.  

I understand healthy debate, and loving a person's favorite team, and wanting to win.  I also understand monday morning quarterbacking games, plays, etc.  But i will never understanding taking pot shots at 18-22 year old ladies who most making the comments know nothing about. Turning this board into the Lord of the Flies won't help us win even one more game.  GBR

Edited by kansashusker