uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 11 - Gardner-Webb

uneblinstu

I tried to warn you all...

- Why so little Jordy and Roby in the 2nd half? We were told the freshmen were gonna play more. Where are they?

- I don't like Glynn not starting. I don't know what kind of message Tim is trying to send, but I don't think this is the one I'd send.

- Ed did good.

- Tai kinda disappeared for most of the 2nd half.

- Jacobson and McVeigh aren't contributing much right now.

- The NU I saw play vs. Dayton, UCLA, Kansas and at times vs. Clemson can compete in the Big Ten.

- The one we saw today can get beaten by anybody as well.

- This can't continue to happen. Just can't. The program has to get beyond games like this. Has to.

6 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Miles saying team had to create its own energy due to the crowd. Ohhh boy, give me a break.  That's the last direction I would be going if I'm Miles. 

Crowd isn't gonna get much better, I have a hard time believing too many people will be paying to see us (fresh off this loss) play against Southern, during winter break a couple days before the holidays.

I'm sure Eichorst will be watching the attendance numbers closely as we get into Big 10 play. Miles seat will get scorching if we can't fill out that beautiful, expensive new arena. 

I'm glad I didn't spend any time following the game today.  Sad thing is, I'm not surprised, and this wont effect my day one way or the other.  Becoming a fan during the Nee, Piatkowski years and being a fan ever since, the apathy I have at this point is too bad.  It sounds like if there was a half full stadium today, I might not be the only one.

I always think of this saying in times like this.  We're never as good as our best win and not as bad as our worst lost, but somewhere in between.  Not sure it helps here, but its all I got.

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Miles saying team had to create its own energy due to the crowd. Ohhh boy, give me a break.  That's the last direction I would be going if I'm Miles. 

I want to know what the question was. I don't think he was trying to place this on the fans. I get why people read it that way, but I don't think that was what he was saying.

28 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I want to know what the question was. I don't think he was trying to place this on the fans. I get why people read it that way, but I don't think that was what he was saying.

It was the way it was posted on twitter to be honest. The full quote really isn't that bad.  I think it was posted elsewhere on here. 

Watson not starting was ridiculous.  I have nothing against Evan Taylor, but you don't start him over the BIG leader in steals.  The offense, if you want to call it an offense, runs better with Watson at the point.  I'd like to see Watson, Webster, Roby and Morrow on the floor together.  Anton Gill continues to be a mystery to me.  I guess maybe we were spoiled with Petteway and White III.  Miles seems to always lose to a horrible team (2012-13: Kent State, 2014-15: Incarnate Word, 2015-16: Samford, 2016-17: Gardner-Webb). 

Through the first 10 games I was fairly optimistic.  In addition to the five wins, we were very competitive with UCLA, probably should have beat Clemson and Virginia Tech.  Creighton and Kansas are both top ten teams and at least we didn't lose by 20+  I'm not ready to give up on Miles.  We just flat out sucked today. 

5 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

Watson not starting was ridiculous.  I have nothing against Evan Taylor, but you don't start him over the BIG leader in steals.  The offense, if you want to call it an offense, runs better with Watson at the point.  I'd like to see Watson, Webster, Roby and Morrow on the floor together.  Anton Gill continues to be a mystery to me.  I guess maybe we were spoiled with Petteway and White III.  Miles seems to always lose to a horrible team (2012-13: Kent State, 2014-15: Incarnate Word, 2015-16: Samford, 2016-17: Gardner-Webb). 

Through the first 10 games I was fairly optimistic.  In addition to the five wins, we were very competitive with UCLA, probably should have beat Clemson and Virginia Tech.  Creighton and Kansas are both top ten teams and at least we didn't lose by 20+  I'm not ready to give up on Miles.  We just flat out sucked today. 

Watson had struggled the last 3 games.  He had avg. 8.0 PPG, 3 RPG, 5 ast, and 6 TO.  He even played 32 minutes.  I would expect it was a ploy by Miles to try to get him going.  I also expect him to start from here on out.  I do agree we did flat out suck today. 

This team has a serious lack of confidence.

We couldn't hit water if we fell out of the boat, right now.  We can't drive to the basket if we continue to go 3-17, 3-22, 4-18, and 4-21 from 3.  We are 0-5 when we shoot less than 30% from 3.  That means we are 6-1 when we shoot better than 30% from 3.

This team is in big trouble unless they start making outside shots. 

We need to come out guns a blazing, Tuesday, and stomp on Southern.  Given our recent history this season, I don't see that happening.

10 minutes ago, brfrad said:

This team has a serious lack of confidence.

We couldn't hit water if we fell out of the boat, right now.  We can't drive to the basket if we continue to go 3-17, 3-22, 4-18, and 4-21 from 3.  We are 0-5 when we shoot less than 30% from 3.  That means we are 6-1 when we shoot better than 30% from 3.

This team is in big trouble unless they start making outside shots. 

We need to come out guns a blazing, Tuesday, and stomp on Southern.  Given our recent history this season, I don't see that happening.

You hit the nail on the head here my friend.  This team has ZERO confidence right now.  One play in particular summed this up to me.  We kick the ball out to Roby who is WIDE open and he doesn't even look at the rim.  Passes to Tai who has to then shoot a contested three as the shot clock was winding down.  

Now, that is just one play of many that I saw tonight that shows these guys don't have much swagger right now.  It makes you wonder if the brutal non-conf slate is getting to them a bit.  

The last thing I will say about today.  I've been going to games for the past 20+ years of my life and the effort today was one of the worst I've seen in quite some time.  Not until about 4 minutes left in the game did we pick up the defensive intensity.  Had we had that intensity the entire game we win going away.  A lot of this always is a direct reflection of the coach, but at the same time I'm throwing a lot of this on the players this afternoon.  I hope a lot of them look in the mirror tonight and ask themselves if they played as hard as they possibly can.  If they can look at the reflection in the mirror and truly say they did, then I can live with that.  But I would venture to guess that about 3-4 of them won't like the reflection they see in the mirror.

Worth repeating...

I will say nothing more then this was an absolute train wreck today.  I do not understand how you can be so unprepared mentally and physically to play.  This had nothing to do with youth, it had everything to do with believing you can simply show up and play a game.  Preparation stunk.  Continuity stunk.  Offense stunk.  Defense stunk.  Weather stunk.  Fans stunk.  Even the opponent sort of stunk.  They weren't that good. 

UNACCEPTABLE.  Totally unacceptable.  Nuf said.

Crap, one additional thought, sorry.  What in the heck is Glynn doing starting the game on the bench?  He is one of out two, perhaps three offensive weapons, and he is starting on the bench????  Come on man, find a different way to wake up the player. 

1 hour ago, bball23 said:

You hit the nail on the head here my friend.  This team has ZERO confidence right now.  One play in particular summed this up to me.  We kick the ball out to Roby who is WIDE open and he doesn't even look at the rim.  Passes to Tai who has to then shoot a contested three as the shot clock was winding down.  

Now, that is just one play of many that I saw tonight that shows these guys don't have much swagger right now.  It makes you wonder if the brutal non-conf slate is getting to them a bit.  

The last thing I will say about today.  I've been going to games for the past 20+ years of my life and the effort today was one of the worst I've seen in quite some time.  Not until about 4 minutes left in the game did we pick up the defensive intensity.  Had we had that intensity the entire game we win going away.  A lot of this always is a direct reflection of the coach, but at the same time I'm throwing a lot of this on the players this afternoon.  I hope a lot of them look in the mirror tonight and ask themselves if they played as hard as they possibly can.  If they can look at the reflection in the mirror and truly say they did, then I can live with that.  But I would venture to guess that about 3-4 of them won't like the reflection they see in the mirror.

This is spot on.  Sometimes it is the kids.  I know they are kids but...

We got out-schemed and out-executed. Ed may have had a ton of rebounds, but he got scorched by their power forward (Nelson, I think was his name). I don't know how many times he got backed down and then left his feet, only to give up a point blank score. Same thing happened to Jordy in the first half, We eventually doubled down on the guy but by then he'd already done his damage. I would have liked to seen us go back to Jordy. At least his length would have been more difficult to deal with.  We also had trouble keeping their point guard out of the lane off of screen and rolls. 

So, while we were bad offensively, we were horrible defensively too. As for offense, I simply don't know what we're trying to accomplish. If we are a screen and roll team, we have to have guys who can turn the corner and make good decisions (Tai and Watson can do that). However, we also have to have guys who can knock 3's down off of help, or have bigs who can roll to the block, catch and finish in traffic (there is no ability for the screeners to pick and pop, which hurts us). When those things aren't working we have no option 2. The ball seldom moves. We have trouble getting into sets, and guys are simply not confident the ball will go in. Just so frustrating to watch.  

Individually I don't think our guys are so bad (although most don't have multiple skill sets) - but it appears we put no thought into building a cohesive TEAM with an identity. I will continue to go back and watch, but this is simply not fun. Glad that as I get older, it doesn't affect me as much, but it does take some fun out of my winter recreational activities. . 

Edited by Coaches kid

Scrolling through various scribe and punditry twitter feeds makes a sad situation even sadder.  We're joke right now.  Quoting Tim Miles, "this is not where I thought we would be in year 5".

Husker men's sports, we're sold hope every off season, then the results just never add up.  Its not the athletic program I grew up with that's for sure.

Edited by Huskerone

I continue to be amazed at the rotation.

Our heaviest rotation (20 minutes minimum) should easily be:

Watson (is the goal to ruin his confidence by not starting him?)

Webster

ROBY (how the hell did he only get 12 minutes?? He was super active)

Morrow

Jordy (8 minutes.. what the hell?  He should've been licking his chops for this game)

I am absolutely baffled at this staff's inability to understand what our most talented lineup looks like.  I had said before that I am blown away by Miles' recruiting.  I'm becoming equally blown away by his inability to put that talent on the floor in successful situations.  Ugh.  Warm up the seat.