uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 10 - Kansas

uneblinstu

Coach Miles needs to tread very carefully and intelligently with managing the mindset of this team during this non-conference slate. To me, for the first time in a while, we are truly playing for next year. We don't need another piece, we're not glaringly missing something (arguable, I know). We're just young and inexperienced.

Biggest issue I've seen with this team is hesitation and lack of confidence. To me, that's it. There's some X's and O's, philosophical differences I have with Coach Miles - but that's not important (nor does is it bother him too much, lol...) - what's important is that those things can be easily corrected with time and success. 

If coach Miles can manage this teams psyche and keep everyone together - next year could be special in my opinion. And playing with a lot of these really good teams will pay major dividends. 

It's still not too late for something of a run This year.  Remembering back to 2013/14, things looked pretty dismal, even well into January,  We were 8-8; had lost our first four conference games straight, and Deverell Biggs had just been dismissed from the team. 

Thinking about what ignited our subsequent run?  Confidence, starting with beating Ohio State in a re-match, then Minnesota and Indiana, then 5 straight wins & a season ending run of three wins culminating in No-Sit Sunday.  I especially remember the FTs,  it seemed like we couldn't miss once we got to the line, what was it 90-95%?

I'm not saying it's Going to happen, But it Could, and it Did!

I think one of the most dangerous things you can do with the psyche of any player, young or old, is to give up on the current season.  You have to play to win each game, that provides a valuable lesson to a young player.  I'm of the opinion that you cannot think into the future with any team, particularly with a young team.  The most important game on the schedule is the next game. 

5 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Coach Miles needs to tread very carefully and intelligently with managing the mindset of this team during this non-conference slate. To me, for the first time in a while, we are truly playing for next year. We don't need another piece, we're not glaringly missing something (arguable, I know). We're just young and inexperienced.

Biggest issue I've seen with this team is hesitation and lack of confidence. To me, that's it. There's some X's and O's, philosophical differences I have with Coach Miles - but that's not important (nor does is it bother him too much, lol...) - what's important is that those things can be easily corrected with time and success. 

If coach Miles can manage this teams psyche and keep everyone together - next year could be special in my opinion. And playing with a lot of these really good teams will pay major dividends. 

While I believe that this season will pay tremendous dividends next year, I think there's a lot to play for yet this year. There are a lot of coin flip games in the Big Ten this year. If this schedule did it's job and prepared them for what's to come, we could start to see the fruits of that effort this season. I'd argue we already have in several respects.

The problem i see with benching McVeigh is that Roby hasn't really played lights out, though it is clear he has a much higher ceiling than McVeigh. I think these next two games will help cement our starting lineup going into Big Ten play. 

McVeigh/ Roby is up for grabs and so is Jacobson/ Jordy. My only question is whether Jordy and Ed can/have played together (haven't got to see much of the games this year)

-Jordy is getting better. That was the best team we have played to date imo.

-Morrow is a freaking beast glad he is on our team. He's a walking double-double these next two years. And he is so nice around the rim.

-Watson has been struggling the past two games but the other three gaurds have played extremely well versus Kansas.

-Jacobson struggled around the rim today.

-McVeigh only playing 7 min isn't going to cut it. It's frustrating bc we know what he can do but he's definitely got some mental hurdles he needs to clear.

I'm fairly optimistic. This whole week of practice until the next game will be huge for Gill and Roby being that they missed so much time in the preseason. Plus two more (hopefully) cupcake games to get us rolling into Big Ten play. With the right mindset I think we can start Big Ten play 3-1. @ Maryland, v. Iowa, v. Northwestern are all winnable games. Won't be easy but it's not impossible. 

We'll see how this translates but this is the minutes matrix from KenPom

The boxes indicate starters

I'll have to check the starters coming out after the half but I don't think we've changed it until Kansas

I have to think we're going to see Jordy and Isaiah grabbing more minutes, mainly at the expense of McVeigh and Jacobson.

MinutesMatrixTM
Starting Lineup #
Sun Nov 13 318 Sacramento St. W, 83-61 30 16 31 9 27 11 10 32 24 10 1
Tue Nov 15 NR Mary W, 70-38 19 24 20 22 14 23 24 19 15 20 1
Sat Nov 19 114 Louisiana Tech W, 65-54 32 5 36 26 20 8 10 34 24 4 1
Thu Nov 24 39 Dayton W, 80-78 31 23 27 16 33 3 11 30 23 3 1
Fri Nov 25 10 UCLA L, 82-71 36 16 36 8 25 7 8 27 24 12 1
Sun Nov 27 37 Virginia Tech L, 66-53 36 16 34 11 26 4 12 23 31 5 1
Wed Nov 30 28 Clemson L, 60-58 36 15 36 10 31   8 23 32 9 1
Sat Dec 3 217 South Dakota W, 73-61 30 6 36 15 26 2 17 33 26 9 1
Wed Dec 7 17 Creighton L, 77-62 29 18 37 9 23 0 13 36 24 11 1
Sat Dec 10 4 Kansas L, 89-72 29 22 36 19 24 5 13 7 19 19 1

I find it fitting that we don't have the Kansas recap up yet because I didn't look for it until this morning.  It would seem as though some of us were quite ready for this week long break.

Here are some notes

*-Today’s game is NU’s first regular-season matchup against a Big 12 team since the Huskers joined the Big Ten. 
*-Tai Webster posted his fifth 20-point game of the season and seventh of his career with 22 points and five assists.  Webster has now finished in double figures in 11 straight games dating back to last year’s Big Ten Tournament.
*-Jordy Tshimanga finished with career highs in both points (10), rebounds (eight) and blocked shots two).
*-Evan Taylor came off the bench and scored a career eight points in 19 minutes. His previous high was five in the season opener against Sacramento State.
*-Ed Morrow. Jr. has grabbed at least six rebounds in all 10 of Nebraska’s games, as he finished with 16 points and seven rebounds
*-Nebraska falls to 0-3 against ranked teams, including 0-2 vs. top-10 teams.
*-Kansas set opponent highs for both points (89) and field goal percentage (.596), as Kansas became the first team in six games to reach their scoring average.

12 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I believe it was an adjustment.  That said, the next several days of practice may provide a clearer answer.  If post-game words mean anything, the staff was upset about the toughness of the team.  I am not 100% convinced it was physical toughness being discussed. 

1st half box score. Miles specifically mentioned the lack of output from the first half which is why you saw Taylor, Gill, and Jordy start the second half.

2cfec7dc40.png

Here's the game audio + post game

10 hours ago, khoock said:

The problem i see with benching McVeigh is that Roby hasn't really played lights out, though it is clear he has a much higher ceiling than McVeigh. I think these next two games will help cement our starting lineup going into Big Ten play. 

McVeigh/ Roby is up for grabs and so is Jacobson/ Jordy. My only question is whether Jordy and Ed can/have played together (haven't got to see much of the games this year)

Is it Roby for McVeigh? I'm not sure it is. Right now it's Jordy for McVeigh. Once Roby shows he's ready, we'll have the conversation with him and probably Jacobson. These things have a way of clarifying themselves.

Edited by uneblinstu

15 hours ago, mwash95 said:

Any chance Miles starts the next game with the same lineup that started the second half against Kansas? (potentially replacing Taylor with Watson) Or do you guys think it was just an adjustment for that specific game?

I think Miles was sending a strong message to the starters that your job isn't guaranteed.  Watson will remain a starter but could easily see McVeigh getting replaced in the starting lineup by Roby or Evans.  I don't think you start Jody due to foul issues and just leave Jacobson as your starter. 

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Is it Roby for McVeigh? I'm not sure it is. Right now it's Jordy for McVeigh. Once Roby shows he's ready, we'll have the conversation with him and probably Jacobson. These things have a way of clarifying themselves.

I'd say it has to be Roby, Gill, or ET for McVeigh. The problem with that is none of those 3 have played particularly stellar either. I don't see Jordy replacing McVeigh bc that means you're starting Jacobson, Morrow, and Jordy. I don't see how that would work offensively.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

I'd say it has to be Roby, Gill, or ET for McVeigh. The problem with that is none of those 3 have played particularly stellar either. I don't see Jordy replacing McVeigh bc that means you're starting Jacobson, Morrow, and Jordy. I don't see how that would work offensively.

I don't really see that much difference between McVeigh and MJ. It's basically a lesser version of what Purdue does. Maybe you see Taylor and Jordy get the start this week with MJ and JM coming off the bench, IDK, but I think the battle for playing time is more with Jack and Jordy.

at this point im perfectly comfortable with McVeigh coming off the bench and Roby taking his spot, were not a great offensive team when he is in, and his defense i still feel is a liability, Roby is a better distributor already, becoming a better rebounder, and i feel helps are team defense greater, by taking pressure off the guards on the wings, and helping ed/jordy, MJ/Jordy by being able to slide over on the interior for his weak-side blocks.