Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

And don't coaches in this day and age pull guys in and talk to play all the time about their place on the team? 

Not like when we played, you know suddenly your court time or starting semmed to disappear and you needed to figure out why.

Now I think there is better comunication between player and coaches so that you don't have those what is going on here moments.

At least that is what I understand from what I have heard.  Wish they would have done that when I was in school.  

Long story for a cold night.

12 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

The loss of assistants under Miles is also a concern.

You mean the assistant that left to take a head coaching position at a Div. 1 program?  That one?

Or do you mean the assistant that left to take an associate head coaching position at a top 40-ish Div. 1 program.  Maybe you mean that one?

Maybe you're talking about the one who was here for all of about a month in the summer, or the other one who was a last-minute emergency replacement who ended up not working out?  Yeah, you are probably focusing on those most likely.

But yeah, NU is the ONLY program in the country that has assistant coaching turnover.  You're right, it is a concern that our assistants are getting D-I Head Coaching jobs, Tim must be a horrible guy to work for if he's getting his guys in position to advance their career to the top levels.  What a jerk!

23 minutes ago, 49r said:

You mean the assistant that left to take a head coaching position at a Div. 1 program?  That one?

Or do you mean the assistant that left to take an associate head coaching position at a top 40-ish Div. 1 program.  Maybe you mean that one?

Maybe you're talking about the one who was here for all of about a month in the summer, or the other one who was a last-minute emergency replacement who ended up not working out?  Yeah, you are probably focusing on those most likely.

But yeah, NU is the ONLY program in the country that has assistant coaching turnover.  You're right, it is a concern that our assistants are getting D-I Head Coaching jobs, Tim must be a horrible guy to work for if he's getting his guys in position to advance their career to the top levels.  What a jerk!

If Tim Miles should be on the hot seat (in part) for losing assistants, just think how hot the seat of the Butler coach must be.  They lost a quality young assistant to Nebraska for gawdsakes.

Oh, wait, Miles poached an assistant from Butler?  H4tS didn't mention that part.  Hmmm.

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If Tim Miles should be on the hot seat (in part) for losing assistants, just think how hot the seat of the Butler coach must be.  They lost a quality young assistant to Nebraska for gawdsakes.

Oh, wait, Miles poached an assistant from Butler?  H4tS didn't mention that part.  Hmmm.

Well, clearly the coaches that leave blue blood programs like SLU, Butler or Georgetown to come coach at Nebraska suck and were probably on the verge of getting fired anyway or else they wouldn't have jumped into the Tim Miles safety net.  Especially the one that left his D-1 head coaching job to come assist at Nebraska, you know - the one that has previous B1G head coaching experience?  Yeah, that guy must REALLY suck.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

You're correct, baseball13, Burks not Burke.  The kid wasn't a good shooter coming in as a true freshman but found his range about 10 games into his freshman season and became a real scoring threat.

I disagree with you about Creighton.  I watched the CU-Wisconsin game a couple of times before we played them just to get an idea of what to expect.  I thought we defended their ball screen offense pretty well all things considered.  Mo Watson has a special ability to make people look bad that's all.  He confounded Wisconsin also.

I love the fact that we're scoring in the 70s  without a legit deep threat, that we're getting points in the paint.  The defense is solid and the offense looks as in-sync as any Miles offense I've seen.

Just looked it up to check my recollection of Alec Burks' stats.  Yep.  He started off badly.  Through his first 13 games as a true freshman, he shot 5 of 23 from beyond the arc for a rate of under 22%.  In the last 15 games of the season (conference schedule) he was an amazing 9 of 20 (45%.)  So, he really turned it on after the first 13 games of the year.

Husker3theSpurs, the part about "being too hard" on Watson is what saddens/sickens me about College Athletes these days.  We live in such a soft society.  So he gets benched.  Big flipping deal!!!  He wasn't performing on that particular night and knowing Watson, he would be the first to admit it.  So what do you do now if you are Watson?  You hang your head and feel sorry for yourself or you bust your ass all week in practice and prove to yourself, your teammates and your coaches that you are the starting PG at the University of Nebraska?  Knowing Watson, that's exactly what he will do.

I get so freaking sick and tired of seeing all these mid year transfers, end of season transfers that don't get that instant playing time they want so they up and leave.  GOD FORBID you work for it!  But that's the way so many kids are now a days.  If Plan B is "easier" than Plan A, that's the plan for me!  Maybe I'm too old, but I don't remember the transfer market ever being like it is today.  And sadly that includes HS.  Mom and dad don't like the coaches plans so they tell their son/daughter to go another route.  What life lesson is that teaching them?  "Well son, when things get tough, just go to someplace else where it will be easier." 

Sorry for the rant, and I'm not trying to single you out directly but the "work for what you get" mentality doesn't seem to exist like it should anymore. 

1 hour ago, bball23 said:

So he gets benched. 

Just so we're all clear on this while Watson has started the every game he didn't start the second half of the Kansas game. Miles pulled Watson, Jacobson, and McVeigh because we were putting on a defensive shit show out there in the first half.  It seemed to be a message to a team which did lead to a much better defensive effort in the second half.

Watson came in at the first timeout of the 2nd half and still played 29 total minutes. He might have played more if he hadn't fouled out.
The only game where he hasn't played 20+ minutes was against Mary. He's going to continue to start and avg 30+ minutes the rest of the season. 

There are about 11 other guys on this team I'd worry about before I would worry about Watson.

Just a few observations on the "benchings"

• MJ was struggling covering an elite athlete in Josh Jackson.  For those of you who believe MJ is solely playing the 5, that match up should tell you that with Ed and MJ on the floor there is not a clear delineation between the post and power forward position.  That is not an excuse for MJ's play.  To me, he was physically beaten, and then let it get to him mentally.
  • Glynn has been asked to cover premier PG's in back-to-back games.  He was schooled a couple of times and like MJ, let the physical piece become mental.  He cannot carry that baggage as a PG.  He has to have a cornerback's mentality and have a very short term memory. 
  • Jack has a whole lot of baggage sitting on his back right now.  He let a short slump become a multi-game crap-fest.  He needs to get his poop in a group and find his game.  That 33 minutes on the bench in Lawrence should have been a launching point. 
Edited by huskercwg

Myth Busters Common Myth #1:  Miles can't recruit and doesn't develop talent.

Inherited players:

Brandon Ubel Stats:

'9-'10: (frosh year, Doc): 15.8 min; 4.4 pts; 2.0 bds.

'10-'11 (soph year, Doc): 20.1 min; 6.1 pts; 3.7 bds.

'11-'12 (junior year, Doc):  28.2 min; 6.7 pts; 5.3 bds. 

'12-'13 (senior year, Miles year #1): 33.0 min; 11.5 pts; 6.7 bds.

Dylan Talley Stats:

'9-'10 (frosh year at D1 Binghamton): 29.3 min; 11.8 pts; 3.7 bds; 2.1 ast. 

'11-'12: (junior year, Doc): 23.8 min; 8.9 pts; 3.3 bds; 1.8 ast.

'12-'13 (senior year, Miles year #1): 35.5 min; 13.7 pts; 4.8 bds; 2.5 ast.

Ray Gallegos Stats:

'9-'10 (frosh year, Doc): 13.6 min; 3.0 pts; 1.4 bds; 0.6 ast; 3P% - .349

'10-'11 (soph year, Doc): 11.8 min; 2.8 pts; 1.0 bds; 0.3 ast; 3P% - .143

'12-'13 (RJr. year, Miles year #1): 37.5 min; 12.5 pts; 3.1 bds; 1.2 ast; 3P% - .306

'13-'14 (Sr. year, Miles year #2 (Petteway)): 28.2 min; 7.3 pts; 2.0 bds; 1.4 ast; 3P% - .335

David Rivers saw progressively diminishing role as recruiting improved across his 3 seasons under Miles. Andre Almeida remained large.

2012 recruiting class, freshmen:

Shavon Shields Stats:

'12-'13: 28.7 min; 8.6 pts; 5.1 bds; 0.9 ast. 

'13-'14: 32.6 min; 12.8 pts; 5.8 bds; 1.6 ast. 

'14-'15: 35.3 min; 15.4 pts; 6.0 bds; 2.2 ast. 

'15-'16:  30.7 min; 16.8 pts; 5.1 bds; 2.7 ast.

Benny Parker Stats:

'12-'13:  20.6 min; 2.7 pts; 2.1 ast; 3P% - .154. 

'13-'14: 14.9 min; 2.4 pts; 0.9 ast; 3P% - 0.00

'14-15: 28.2 min; 4.2 pts; 1.7 ast; 3P% - .293;

'15-'16: 25.8 min; 4.8 pts; 2.2 ast; 3P% - .316.

Sergej Vucetic played sparingly and transferred after 2 seasons as recruiting improved under Miles.

2013 recruiting class, freshmen:

Tai Webster Stats:

'13-'14: 22.8 min; 3.9 pts; 2.1 bds; 2.0 ast; 3P% - .171

'14-'15: 18.4 min; 3.9 pts; 1.9 bds; 1.2 ast; 3P% - .231

'15-'16: 27.7 min; 10.1 pts; 4.1 bds; 1.9 ast; 3P% - .350

'16-'17: 33.0 min; 17.7 pts; 5.1 bds; 3.9 ast; 3P% - .395

Nathan Hawkins transferred after 1 season; Nick Fuller redshirted and has played a limited role as recruiting improved under Miles.

2014 recruiting class, freshmen:

Tarin Smith played major backup role in one season and quit to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond; Jacob Hammond played a small reserve role for 2 seasons before transferring.  Both players are arguably casualties of improved recruiting under Miles, because ...

2015 recruiting class, freshmen:

Glynn Watson Stats:

'15-'16: 24.3 min; 8.6 pts; 2.4 ast; 1.2 stl; 3P% - .267

'16-'17: 30.8 min; 12.4 pts; 2.8 ast; 2.1 stl; 3P% - .333

Ed Morrow Stats:

'15-'16: 13.7 min; 4.1 pts; 3.3 bds

'16-'17: 24.9 min; 10.7 pts; 8.0 bds

Jack McVeigh Stats:

'15-'16: 17.0 min; 4.8 pts; 2.6 bds; 3P% - .340

'16-'17: 26.4 min; 7.8 pts; 3.6 bds; 3P% - .327

Michael Jacobson Stats:

'15-'16: 18.3 min; 4.7 pts; 4.3 bds

'16-'17: 24.2 min; 5.9 pts; 5.8 bds

On 12/14/2016 at 4:58 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Myth Busters Common Myth #1:  Miles can't recruit and doesn't develop talent.

Inherited players:

Brandon Ubel Stats:

'9-'10: (frosh year, Doc): 15.8 min; 4.4 pts; 2.0 bds.

'10-'11 (soph year, Doc): 20.1 min; 6.1 pts; 3.7 bds.

'11-'12 (junior year, Doc):  28.2 min; 6.7 pts; 5.3 bds. 

'12-'13 (senior year, Miles year #1): 33.0 min; 11.5 pts; 6.7 bds.

Dylan Talley Stats:

'9-'10 (frosh year at D1 Binghamton): 29.3 min; 11.8 pts; 3.7 bds; 2.1 ast. 

'11-'12: (junior year, Doc): 23.8 min; 8.9 pts; 3.3 bds; 1.8 ast.

'12-'13 (senior year, Miles year #1): 35.5 min; 13.7 pts; 4.8 bds; 2.5 ast.

Ray Gallegos Stats:

'9-'10 (frosh year, Doc): 13.6 min; 3.0 pts; 1.4 bds; 0.6 ast; 3P% - .349

'10-'11 (soph year, Doc): 11.8 min; 2.8 pts; 1.0 bds; 0.3 ast; 3P% - .143

'12-'13 (RJr. year, Miles year #1): 37.5 min; 12.5 pts; 3.1 bds; 1.2 ast; 3P% - .306

'13-'14 (Sr. year, Miles year #2 (Petteway)): 28.2 min; 7.3 pts; 2.0 bds; 1.4 ast; 3P% - .335

David Rivers saw progressively diminishing role as recruiting improved across his 3 seasons under Miles. Andre Almeida remained large.

2012 recruiting class, freshmen:

Shavon Shields Stats:

'12-'13: 28.7 min; 8.6 pts; 5.1 bds; 0.9 ast. 

'13-'14: 32.6 min; 12.8 pts; 5.8 bds; 1.6 ast. 

'14-'15: 35.3 min; 15.4 pts; 6.0 bds; 2.2 ast. 

'15-'16:  30.7 min; 16.8 pts; 5.1 bds; 2.7 ast.

Benny Parker Stats:

'12-'13:  20.6 min; 2.7 pts; 2.1 ast; 3P% - .154. 

'13-'14: 14.9 min; 2.4 pts; 0.9 ast; 3P% - 0.00

'14-15: 28.2 min; 4.2 pts; 1.7 ast; 3P% - .293;

'15-'16: 25.8 min; 4.8 pts; 2.2 ast; 3P% - .316.

Sergej Vucetic played sparingly and transferred after 2 seasons as recruiting improved under Miles.

2013 recruiting class, freshmen:

Tai Webster Stats:

'13-'14: 22.8 min; 3.9 pts; 2.1 bds; 2.0 ast; 3P% - .171

'14-'15: 18.4 min; 3.9 pts; 1.9 bds; 1.2 ast; 3P% - .231

'15-'16: 27.7 min; 10.1 pts; 4.1 bds; 1.9 ast; 3P% - .350

'16-'17: 33.0 min; 17.7 pts; 5.1 bds; 3.9 ast; 3P% - .395

Nathan Hawkins transferred after 1 season; Nick Fuller redshirted and has played a limited role as recruiting improved under Miles.

2014 recruiting class, freshmen:

Tarin Smith played major backup role in one season and quit to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond; Jacob Hammond played a small reserve role for 2 seasons before transferring.  Both players are arguably casualties of improved recruiting under Miles, because ...

2015 recruiting class, freshmen:

Glynn Watson Stats:

'15-'16: 24.3 min; 8.6 pts; 2.4 ast; 1.2 stl; 3P% - .267

'16-'17: 30.8 min; 12.4 pts; 2.8 ast; 2.1 stl; 3P% - .333

Ed Morrow Stats:

'15-'16: 13.7 min; 4.1 pts; 3.3 bds

'16-'17: 24.9 min; 10.7 pts; 8.0 bds

Jack McVeigh Stats:

'15-'16: 17.0 min; 4.8 pts; 2.6 bds; 3P% - .340

'16-'17: 26.4 min; 7.8 pts; 3.6 bds; 3P% - .327

Michael Jacobson Stats:

'15-'16: 18.3 min; 4.7 pts; 4.3 bds

'16-'17: 24.2 min; 5.9 pts; 5.8 bds

Has it lead to wins?

I'm not sure those stats prove anything, other than players generally improve as they get older. I think it does prove, though, that we'd benefit greatly from roster stability. While it might be tough making the tournament this year, there's no way we don't make it when Watson etc. are seniors if we keep this group together. I'd bet on making it next year too. 

8 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So are you saying that Tim can't coach the talent?

I think Coach Miles actually does a great job developing talent.  My main concern still is....1. Do we have enough talent and 2. Why are we still offensively challenged?  Those two questions obviously can go hand in hand.  We are still a few missing pieces away on this roster IMO.  And, hopefully Miles can keep some of the key pieces we have right now around.  But, even with the above I think this team can still be successful in the Big Ten this year.     

9 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I think Coach Miles actually does a great job developing talent.  My main concern still is....1. Do we have enough talent and 2. Why are we still offensively challenged?  Those two questions obviously can go hand in hand.  We are still a few missing pieces away on this roster IMO.  And, hopefully Miles can keep some of the key pieces we have right now around.  But, even with the above I think this team can still be successful in the Big Ten this year.     

You're second question should be the #1 concern of all.  Will we get there?  I think we can but it's going to take Miles being willing to tweak the offense a bit and being willing to give a bit up on defense for points.  As a fan, I much preferred Danny Nee's belief that if he was going to get beat you were going to outscore him.

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Why are we STILL offensively challenged?  Maybe it's because, this year, we've played the nation's toughest schedule, a schedule designed with the expectation that we'd have a 16.5 ppg, 41% three-point shooter returning.  If we did have that guy, we'd have two more games in the win column and nobody would be on here worrying about our offensive abilities.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm not sure those stats prove anything, other than players generally improve as they get older.

Those stats should put to bed the persistent and unfounded complaint that you frequently read on other boards, populated by less informed fans, that players never develop under Miles.  Obviously, that isn't true. 

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Why are we STILL offensively challenged?  Maybe it's because, this year, we've played the nation's toughest schedule, a schedule designed with the expectation that we'd have a 16.5 ppg, 41% three-point shooter returning.  If we did have that guy, we'd have two more games in the win column and nobody would be on here worrying about our offensive abilities.

I generally agree, and I think anyone that is concerned about fielding a strong offensive roster should probably go watch Nana's film.  The shooter is on his way--a true 6'6" athetlic shooting guard.  In the meantime, I hope we keep going to the rim and feeding Jordy the ball in the post.  We can definitely get more points on put backs and free throws with the right personnel.  

18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

No doubt AWIII would have helped big time on the offensive end.  But, I think our issues on that end run deeper than just one player.  The schedule obviously comes in to play when looking at our overall stats.  But, we are going to face good teams and defenses in the Big 10.  If we hover around 40% from the field against good teams we are not going to win very many games.  Vs Dayton we shot the ball very well....outside of that, against the rest of the high major teams we are shooting a combined 36% from the field and 21% from deep.  Hopefully as the young guys continue to get their feet wet those numbers improve but it hasn't been pretty thus far.   

13 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

we are not going to win very many games

Anybody that didn't realize this was going to be the case this year before the season even began especially considering the youth on our roster and the difficulty of our non-con was delusional.  For those that wanted wins, beating Dayton was probably the worst thing that could have happened so far.

So why now all of a sudden are we pissed that we aren't winning very many games?  I don't get it.

Edited by 49r

27 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We aren't putting up points on the few bad defensive teams we play. We don't have reliable spot up 3 pt shooting and we knew that White wasn't coming back in May.

Was the Kansas game where we shot only seven 3s finally an adjustment to this? Despite the lack of outside shooting we still put up points on an elite defense.

We have a good enough defense where if we can just not be terrible on offense we will be in a lot of games. We're bad at shooting 3s.  Against Kansas, a team that will foul you, the fix was to go at Kansas. That's the challenge for the staff: what's the fix for each opponent?

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

Anybody that didn't realize this was going to be the case this year before the season even began especially considering the youth on our roster and the difficulty of our non-con was delusional.  For those that wanted wins, beating Dayton was probably the worst thing that could have happened so far.

So why now all of a sudden are we pissed that we aren't winning very many games?  I don't get it.

Sorry for the confusion, but I wasn't saying I'm upset by our record.  I predicted 8-4 in the non-conference with a loss to Dayton....so we are not far off from where I thought we would be.  My post really doesn't have anything to do with our record but more so our very mediocre offensive output up to this point.  Which has been a trend for as long as I can remember.  It's true we have played a very difficult schedule.  But for the most part, that's not going to change come Big 10 season.  I know this is stating the obvious but we have to be far better on that end to get where Miles and the fans want this program.   

Probably the biggest reason for our lagging offensive production is Gill starting out of the gate slow.

Now, is that because he's still recovering from injury?  Or is he a recruiting bust?  I don't know, but we saw some encouraging flashes from him at the KU game.

Jack sitting smack dab in the middle of his sophomore slump isn't helping any either.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Probably the biggest reason for our lagging offensive production is Gill starting out of the gate slow.

Now, is that because he's still recovering from injury?  Or is he a recruiting bust?  I don't know, but we saw some encouraging flashes from him at the KU game.

Jack sitting smack dab in the middle of his sophomore slump isn't helping any either.

Yeah our Zone Busters are just Busting right now.  Hope that changes, and soon.