Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

12 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Has he? He's shooting below what he did last year. He's an ok 3 point shooter. If he's not going to be more than that, one of the freshmen needs to be starting over him, IMO. If NU just shot their season average coming into the game from 3 on Wednesday, it's a much different result. That's just 4 makes over the course of the game. They're next to last in the B1G from beyond the arc. That, more than anything else, is what Miles needs to find right now.

Not to mention, he doesn't offer a lot of other redeeming qualities right now.   He's out there to be a shooter...yet he's been incredibly marginal at it.  

20 hours ago, khoock said:

Miles has caught some bad breaks.

-Year 1: inherits a roster nightmare that has no business winning 5 conference games.

-Year 3: TP dealing with pro aspirations and the death of his mother, Walt losing passion for the game, and Moses and L Smith injuries.

-Year 4 offseason: just when Miles seems to have assembled enough talent to get us over the hump and get this program rolling, his best returning player bounces in the middle of the summer.

I am acknowledging that as the HC everything falls on him. Both the good and bad. But still that's some unfortunate circumstances. If Miles is given the time to develop (which he has proven he can do) these Top 150 kids, all these losing seasons will be worth it bc we will be special.

Right now last year seems like forever ago, but to think what may have been had we had the following:

Terran Petteway

Andrew White III

Walter Pitchford

Shavon Shields

Tai Webster

Glynn Watson 

Ed Morrow 

Benny Parker

Michael Jacobson

Jack McVeigh

22 hours ago, Hooper said:

Coach Miles eventually righted the ship by finally bringing in ACs who could recruit to this level. Molinari and Hunter have completely rebuilt this basketball team with quality players, but those guys are still relatively young and will take time to develop. I'm not crazy about how our offense looks, but attribute most of it to an inability to consistently knock down outside shots. I feel that the critics of our offensive style would feel differently if we had more scoring punch from the outside, especially as a counter to zone defenses. RPIII's departure has turned out to be a devastating blow. I'd hoped that McVeigh could mitigate it, but that simply hasn't materialized in most games.

I get what you did there.  RP = Renown Prick?  ;)

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

What I hate about this thread - from my experience following sports, once the "fire somebody" talk starts, it seems like it rarely stops...

I hear you. It's kinda the nature of the beast, though when things aren't going as well as we'd all like. I think if SE and TM stay the course, they'll be fine.

5 hours ago, basketballjones said:

What I hate about this thread - from my experience following sports, once the "fire somebody" talk starts, it seems like it rarely stops...

I just want to clarify that I personally am not saying "fire Tim Miles".

My only point was that if Nebraska has a 3rd consecutive sub-.500 season, then Nebraska shouldn't feel like they have to keep Miles simply because they have no option because "who else can we get?". I think this job is more attractive than it has been for a long time. Maybe ever. 

I think that is a defeatist attitude that may have been accurate in the past, but this athletic department has invested enough into the program over the last few years, that Nebraska has enough positive aspects now that they should be able to attract a quality coach.

Also, i don't think Nebraska "has to wait until this sophomore class graduates", because I think the talent in that class would actually help make this job more attractive to a prospective coach.

I think you almost have to give at least two more years.  It took a few years to get his feet under him.  It's looking like the signing of this year's sophomore class was the beginning of a turned corner.  Almost have to see that class through, especially since he appears to be following it up with good pieces in each subsequent class.

was in Mo. this weekend and caught the game on the Kansas radio play by play.  They were really talking up that Tim has something going with the two young classes we have.  The color man said this is the type of team that will do major damage the next two years.  

So I guess that is coming from somebody who doesn't really have to blow smoke up our collect... and it was at half time when we hadn't played our best.

42 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

was in Mo. this weekend and caught the game on the Kansas radio play by play.  They were really talking up that Tim has something going with the two young classes we have.  The color man said this is the type of team that will do major damage the next two years.  

So I guess that is coming from somebody who doesn't really have to blow smoke up our collect... and it was at half time when we hadn't played our best.

the key will be keeping them here. there's no doubt we have talent. develop them and fill in a few pieces around them, and we should be in good shape for the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

The second half of yesterday's game has got to be one of the more encouraging things I've seen in Nebrasketball in a while.  The reason is exactly what these sportscasters are saying.  NU went toe-to-toe with KU in the second half--and that was due to progress of the youngsters and newbies.

And, by the way, I find the fire-Miles subject of this thread to be both offensive and ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Swan88 said:

The second half of yesterday's game has got to be one of the more encouraging things I've seen in Nebrasketball in a while.  The reason is exactly what these sportscasters are saying.  NU went toe-to-toe with KU in the second half--and that was due to progress of the youngsters and newbies.

And, by the way, I find the fire-Miles subject of this thread to be both offensive and ridiculous.

Well you know it is cold, people are bored, we are aren't winning...<_<

Edited by Silverbacked1

I think there's a chance Miles could be fired after this year depending on how we finish. I don't think there's a win total he needs to have, but if we win only a few games in conference and look VERY bad doing so there might be a change. That being said, I think next year is kind of his "do or die" year. Miles chose to rely on the transfer market early on in his tenure to get a jump start and that both paid off and caused some longer term problems or at least delayed building a program on some level.

I personally am a little tired of Miles's salesmanship and persona. He used to seem like he was brutally honest about his team on some level and now it seems like he is trying to cover his ass a lot of times. When he said we came out "too hyped up" for Creighton I felt like he was either trying to cover for his team or self or either doesn't see what's going on accurately. We flat out looked scared and tentative imho.

Just my opinions, but I feel he may be a bit too hard on some of the guys at the wrong times and with the wrong motives. I am kind of worried about Glynn Watson's feelings about being here. He looks a bit distant and withdrawn despite playing pretty well up until the last few games. He doesn't seem to have a good relationship w/Miles. Now we are hearing about some of the sophomores possibly moving to the bench. The class that is going to save his job ... or lose him his job.

Eichorst probably wouldn't mind making his own hire here. We have nice facilities, but those years are numbered and each year you don't take better advantage of those facilities recruiting-wise is a year lost. It's painful to see Creighton continue to get better and better while we stay the same. Yes, recruiting is limited in this area, but if Creighton can build a nice program we sure can as well.

The loss of assistants under Miles is also a concern. I'm not sure we have ever looked cohesive or like we have an identity on offense. Miles record is very similar to Doc and Collier, but I suppose you could argue we are in a tougher conference now. Take out that 4-5 week run where we made the NCAA tourney, things look extra bleak. I am hopeful, but there needs to be some glimpses of potential the rest of this year or I might be calling for a change as well. If we truly do have more talent, he needs to get more out of them. He seems to be talking like a man on the hot seat, but we shall see how all of this plays out ... 

1 hour ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Just my opinions, but I feel he may be a bit too hard on some of the guys at the wrong times and with the wrong motives. I am kind of worried about Glynn Watson's feelings about being here. He looks a bit distant and withdrawn despite playing pretty well up until the last few games. He doesn't seem to have a good relationship w/Miles. Now we are hearing about some of the sophomores possibly moving to the bench. The class that is going to save his job ... or lose him his job.

watson and morrow are the 2 players that will never be benched. they should start every game until they graduate or go pro.

H4tS, has there been a game yet this year where you thought we looked "VERY bad"?  Or even pretty bad?  Hell, even bad period?  

I've been rewatching games the last few days and I think we look as good as I've ever seen us look at this point in a season in any season in the Miles era.

Ed Morrow adds a dimension inside that we haven't had before under Miles.  Jordy's emergence only adds to that.  On top of that, we have the best point in years and one of the best shooting guards in years maybe second only to Petteway but with better shot selection and less ball hoggery.

What we lack is that dead eye shooter from deep and, well, we had one but we don't now and it is what it is and we're not using that as an excuse.  If Roby could find his range like Trey Burke did at Colorado a few years back, we'd really have something.

In the meantime, Jack needs to recover his stroke, probably coming off the bench.    Isaiah is looking more and more starter worthy, as does Jordy.  If we can continue to get improvement from Evan and Anton, and if Glynn fights his way out of the funk he seems to be in, you won't have to worry about us losing enough games to get Tim fired this year.  If things go the way I think they could, you'll more likely have to worry about someone taking him off our hands in a couple of years.

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

H4tS, has there been a game yet this year where you thought we looked "VERY bad"?  Or even pretty bad?  Hell, even bad period?

I wouldn't quite go THAT far, Norm. There have been some times where we've looked pretty bad. But that's also separate from playing hard in those tough games. To your point, we've got a lot of positives to look at on a holistic level and, sure, there's a lot of area that we need to improve. But it would be hard to convince me that this isn't one of Miles' best teams since he's coached at Nebraska. Let's not burn the dumpster just yet, because this conference season might be a fun one to watch.

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've been rewatching games the last few days and I think we look as good as I've ever seen us look at this point in a season in any season in the Miles era.

Ed Morrow adds a dimension inside that we haven't had before under Miles.  Jordy's emergence only adds to that.  On top of that, we have the best point in years and one of the best shooting guards in years maybe second only to Petteway but with better shot selection and less ball hoggery.

What we lack is that dead eye shooter from deep and, well, we had one but we don't now and it is what it is and we're not using that as an excuse.  If Roby could find his range like Trey Burke did at Colorado a few years back, we'd really have something.

In the meantime, Jack needs to recover his stroke, probably coming off the bench.    Isaiah is looking more and more starter worthy, as does Jordy.  If we can continue to get improvement from Evan and Anton, and if Glynn fights his way out of the funk he seems to be in, you won't have to worry about us losing enough games to get Tim fired this year.  If things go the way I think they could, you'll more likely have to worry about someone taking him off our hands in a couple of years.

I think you are referring to Alec Burks.  Trey Burke was a PG at Mich.  I thought we looked pretty bad vs Creighton.  But, that's going to happen from time to time this year with a young roster.  I'm all for Isaiah starting as I think getting him more minutes will be crucial for the future but he, like many of our other guys is having trouble putting the ball in the hoop.  But, I would love to see us come out with Watson, Tai, Roby, Morrow, Jordy the next two games before conference play. 

19 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I think you are referring to Alec Burks.  Trey Burke was a PG at Mich.  I thought we looked pretty bad vs Creighton.  But, that's going to happen from time to time this year with a young roster.  I'm all for Isaiah starting as I think getting him more minutes will be crucial for the future but he, like many of our other guys is having trouble putting the ball in the hoop.  But, I would love to see us come out with Watson, Tai, Roby, Morrow, Jordy the next two games before conference play. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a look or two of that lineup as well.

You're correct, baseball13, Burks not Burke.  The kid wasn't a good shooter coming in as a true freshman but found his range about 10 games into his freshman season and became a real scoring threat.

I disagree with you about Creighton.  I watched the CU-Wisconsin game a couple of times before we played them just to get an idea of what to expect.  I thought we defended their ball screen offense pretty well all things considered.  Mo Watson has a special ability to make people look bad that's all.  He confounded Wisconsin also.

I love the fact that we're scoring in the 70s  without a legit deep threat, that we're getting points in the paint.  The defense is solid and the offense looks as in-sync as any Miles offense I've seen.

10 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Miles and Watson have had a good enough relationship for Watson to text him on a Sunday to watch game film together. Has Watson been sick? He seemed a bit congested at last week's presser. 

As far as "sophomore benching" Miles is considering changing the starting lineup which isn't quite as drastic sounding. We have depth. Guys who aren't performing or who aren't good matchups for the other team shouldn't be playing as much in some games.