Fire Miles Talk (complete BS)

mrj

To me this is just stupid talk and there is not place for it but it may also be my blind eye also. 3 reasons what people are talking about seem to just be funny, 1st not recruiting Nebraska kids. Nebraska High School Basketball is bad right now, Jays got lucky with Patton (HE WAS 6'2 WHEN THEY OFFERED HIM) and also took a chance with Thomas. 2nd reason is for assistant coach turnover, it happens everywhere all the time. Third is can not beat Creighton.. seems a little legit.

Look forward to seeing what others have to say about this topic.

JMO, but the pulse around Husker Nation seems to be on the fence about Miles at this point.  I really have not seen much about firing him, but more so questioning if he is going to get it done here.  I think the question/fire talk really revolves around him not getting that contract extension in the offseason.  And it's not just some fans talking about it, the media is starting to pick up on it as well.  OWH just posted a piece questioning if Miles gets a sixth season.  If he does not work out or gets fired it's not going to be because he was 0-5 or 0-6 against Creighton or whatever.  It would be great to beat them, but what takes place in the Big Ten is what will be most important most years.     

BTW, I don't think the above is accurate about Patton.  Nor do I think Creighton took a chance with Thomas. 

My guess it has more to do with 3 losing seasons in 4 staring down 4 in 5, when we heard for years about needing new facilities, so arguably he's had the most to work with for a coach at Nebraska.  Losing 5 straight to Creighton doesn't help especially when they are blow outs and 2 of the Creighton teams were average to below average.  The end of year 2 is looking more and more like the exception and not the rule.

45 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

JMO, but the pulse around Husker Nation seems to be on the fence about Miles at this point.  I really have not seen much about firing him, but more so questioning if he is going to get it done here.  I think the question/fire talk really revolves around him not getting that contract extension in the offseason.  And it's not just some fans talking about it, the media is starting to pick up on it as well.  OWH just posted a piece questioning if Miles gets a sixth season.  If he does not work out or gets fired it's not going to be because he was 0-5 or 0-6 against Creighton or whatever.  It would be great to beat them, but what takes place in the Big Ten is what will be most important most years.  

BTW, I don't think the above is accurate about Patton.  Nor do I think Creighton took a chance with Thomas. 

All of this plus Nebraska doesn't fire people mid-season unless there are off the field/court issues.  I get the above in the now sports talk radio reasons that people take out their pitchforks for but whether this team is improving and what players do we have coming down the pipe is the stuff that an AD is going to put a lot more weight into.

I'm not taking sides on this because the year six of Miles would have a better chance of good results than otherwise. But, for almost any coach and for almost any season, there's a minimum number of wins that if you don't hit it will get you fired. With the young roster, killer schedule, and AW3 late transfer that number is probably about 11.

One disastrous season got Danny Nee fired (even though we had more talent coming back the next year than we've had since - talent wasted by one of the worst coaching jobs I've ever seen), and one disastrous season finished off Doc Sadler (a big drop off in recruiting was a factor as well).

I would be in the too early to fire him camp for sure, if it weren't for that audio tape I heard of him last year at dinner with some coaches.  Granted, I don't condone taping private conversations in sneaky manners and sharing it with people, but I certainly don't condone the type of stuff coming out of his mouth in any type of situation either.  Puts me in more of an ambivalent position. 

13 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I would be in the too early to fire him camp for sure, if it weren't for that audio tape I heard of him last year at dinner with some coaches.  Granted, I don't condone taping private conversations in sneaky manners and sharing it with people, but I certainly don't condone the type of stuff coming out of his mouth in any type of situation either.  Puts me in more of an ambivalent position. 

This is new to me... care to share?

19 minutes ago, royalfan said:

200_s.gif

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If next year actually is the make or break year....does Eichorst extend his contract by one year this summer? 

Has an extension ever kept a coach not named Ferentz from getting fired? If not, why would extensions help recruiting anyway? It seems that all extensions would appear to be a bad business practice, but I guess they make sense to someone.

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If next year actually is the make or break year....does Eichorst extend his contract by one year this summer? 

Not sure if I am following your line of thought, 13.  Per this paragraph in Barfknecht's August article, I think he already has a contract through 2018-2019.  Personally, I'd be surpised if he received an extension if we finish with a third straight losing season and no NIT+ appearance.

Miles initially signed a seven-year deal when he replaced Doc Sadler in 2012-13. After the 2014-15 season was the first time a one-year extension was needed to keep Miles’ term at five years, and Eichorst granted it then.
www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/no-contract-extension-for-tim-miles-shawn-eichorst-optimistic-about/article_cc04a41e-5a89-11e6-9c39-c751a2b50988.html

48 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

Not sure if I am following your line of thought, 13.  Per this paragraph in Barfknecht's August article, I think he already has a contract through 2018-2019.  Personally, I'd be surpised if he received an extension if we finish with a third straight losing season and no NIT+ appearance.

Miles initially signed a seven-year deal when he replaced Doc Sadler in 2012-13. After the 2014-15 season was the first time a one-year extension was needed to keep Miles’ term at five years, and Eichorst granted it then.
www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/no-contract-extension-for-tim-miles-shawn-eichorst-optimistic-about/article_cc04a41e-5a89-11e6-9c39-c751a2b50988.html

I think the school of thought is anything less than 4 years and other programs will use it to negatively recruit against you. If we have another poor year Miles is either getting fired or getting that one year extension IMO. Thats why Eichorst not extending his contract this summer was a little confusing.  Hopefully we take care of business in Big Ten play and won't have to worry about it. 

I think the question of Miles' future is valid, and I really like him as a person. However, as each year goes by, the luster of new facilities fades and whatever advantage that may have given NU starts to fade as well. It's fair to question that if he hasn't been able to get it done consistently when things were new and shiny, how does it happen now?

I have always believed that defense wins - I'm not so sure that applies to college basketball anymore. As much as I hate to admit it, I think McDermott (and those like him) have it right for today's player. Recruit scorers and you can teach them adequate defense. I know if I were a potential recruit, it would be a more attractive system than the current philosophy of defense first.

I'm not saying Miles won't get it done and I'm certainly hopeful that he does - but it has reached a point where the question is a reasonable one.

The style of play thing is big for me too. I thought the Molinari hiring was smart at the time to establish a defensive identity. His recruiting has been superb. But if you look at his long history of coaching (Bradley and Western Illinois), this is exactly how HIS teams play. Good defense, completely suckass on offense. TM, on the other hand, had a KenPom 35th ranked offense in his last year at Colorado State with lesser talent, so he knows what he's doing. I have no idea of the dynamic on the coaching staff, how much practice time is given to D vs. O or whatever, but I think something is stunting our progress on offense.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I think the school of thought is anything less than 4 years and other programs will use it to negatively recruit against you. If we have another poor year Miles is either getting fired or getting that one year extension IMO. Thats why Eichorst not extending his contract this summer was a little confusing.  Hopefully we take care of business in Big Ten play and won't have to worry about it. 

Obviously not apples to oranges but Turgeon had just 2-3 years left on his contract before it was renewed.