uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 9 - Creighton

uneblinstu

If we're going to score more, it's going to have to be from close shots, offensive rebounding, and block shots/forced turnovers into transition.  

Roby has earned a starting spot over McVeigh, in my opinion.  Roby is too good of an athlete, ball handler, and passer to keep off the court.  We need to take our lumps with him.  

I feel exactly the same about Jordy.  He's a true 5 and is being completely underutilized.  He's a better player than Patton and plays about half the minutes.  I hated that we let Creighton dictate us into going small ball.  We could've left a big lineup in, slowed the game down, and beat them up inside.

We are really not taking advantage of the physicality of Morrow and Jordy potentially playing together.  We'd see a ton of activity around the basket if they were.  That's very disappointing to me.  

Here's the dilemma: do you play the more gifted offensive players and let the defense slip? You might get more production but also more blowouts, which could cause confidence to slide and less buy-in. On the other hand, the freshmen might develop quicker. It's a tough call. Right now, we might be losing but we're competitive. I get what TM is doing, but the decision gets tougher after each close loss.

btw, Jordy is not better a better player than Patton. Good grief. Patton was a focus for our defense and got in foul trouble. Jordy was an afterthought to CU and had his best game of the season.

Patton moves better but will get shoved and moved against teams with bigs that have some size.  His best defense last night was the flop to get the charge (which he was successful at a couple times).  When we took the ball at him with a big he was meh.

Second take home for me last night, we need another guard, when Watson and Webster each got their third foul they were hamstrung on the defensive end.  I really thought Gill was going to be that guy but that has yet to materialize.  Norm's assessment of needing a big and more importantly a shooting guard (one that can create and knock down the outside shot) is more important going forward.  Having said guard opens the lane for Watson to drive and either dish to Ed or kick back out.

Edited by colhusker

• I was encouraged by Jordy - by far his best game
  • Roby is looking a little better.  Game is still too fast for him, needs confidence
  • Gill looks lost
  • Taylor can't be on the floor much - he's a huge offensive liability and doesn't seem to know it
  • Give credit to Creighton, they played great defense on us, as usual, Mac had them ready to go and they were amped
  • Our crowd SUCKED in the second half.  When the team needed us we failed to provide a boost of energy.  Very disappointing

5 minutes ago, Buglem said:
  • I was encouraged by Jordy - by far his best game
  • Roby is looking a little better.  Game is still too fast for him, needs confidence
  • Gill looks lost
  • Taylor can't be on the floor much - he's a huge offensive liability and doesn't seem to know it
  • Give credit to Creighton, they played great defense on us, as usual, Mac had them ready to go and they were amped
  • Our crowd SUCKED in the second half.  When the team needed us we failed to provide a boost of energy.  Very disappointing

Crowd was loud when the team gave them reason to be.  Guessing they were ducking the flying bricks being tossed at the start of the second half.

3 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Crowd was loud when the team gave them reason to be.  Guessing they were ducking the flying bricks being tossed at the start of the second half.

I'll respectfully disagree and that's the problem with the crowd.  I guess I see our job as helping provide energy when the team needs it, not when the team shows they deserve it.  The whole crowd was expecting a loss in the second half and instead of getting off their asses and cheering to provide energy or a spark for the team, they sat there waiting for the inevitable.  If we always wait for the team to do something exciting before cheering I believe we are all missing the point.

I'm so tired.

I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink
I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink
I wonder should I get up and fix myself a drink
No, no, no.
I'm so tired, I don't know what to do
I'm so tired, my mind is set on you
I wonder should I call you but I know what you would do
You'd say I'm putting you on
But it's no joke, it's doing me harm
You know I can't sleep, I can't stop my brain
You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane
You know I'd give you everything I've got
For a little peace of mind.
I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset
Although I'm so tired, I'll have another cigarette
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
He was such a stupid git.
You'd say I'm putting you on
But it's no joke, it's doing me harm
You know I can't sleep, I can't stop my brain
You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane
You know I'd give you everything I've got
Give you everything I've got
I'd give you everything I've got

Nebraska Men's athletics has a fractured psyche, it spans 15 years, multiple sports, coaches and AD's, no one in the building from the fans up believe that we can win these types of games or expects us to.  You could see it in the players eye's during the game, you can see it in fan's leaving early in the 2nd half, you could see it in Columbus during warm up's before the Ohio St game it was not going to go well for the football team.

Success in any aspect of life requires leadership, a concrete vision of what you want to accomplish with a plan to get there, innovation and a willingness to do all the ugly, boring, behind the scenes monotonous preparation that leads to success. I don't believe we are doing any of those things at least not well.  Maybe John Cook could be AD someday and our Women's volleyball team could bring some testosterone over the the men's athletic department.  For now we have the Energy Bus and are living in a Twilight Zone Ground Hog Day of Callahan's, Sadler's, Collier's, Pelini's, Anderson's and Peterson's.

2 hours ago, LK1 said:

If we're going to score more, it's going to have to be from close shots, offensive rebounding, and block shots/forced turnovers into transition.  

Roby has earned a starting spot over McVeigh, in my opinion.  Roby is too good of an athlete, ball handler, and passer to keep off the court.  We need to take our lumps with him.  

I feel exactly the same about Jordy.  He's a true 5 and is being completely underutilized.  He's a better player than Patton and plays about half the minutes.  I hated that we let Creighton dictate us into going small ball.  We could've left a big lineup in, slowed the game down, and beat them up inside.

We are really not taking advantage of the physicality of Morrow and Jordy potentially playing together.  We'd see a ton of activity around the basket if they were.  That's very disappointing to me.  

I wouldn't say I agree with you on what I put in bold.  I do however agree with you about Roby.  The kid is just better than Jack, and he has the potential to be a great one!  

Sorry Jack, but you aren't hitting the shots like we need!

12 minutes ago, nerdofalltrades said:

Nebraska Men's athletics has a fractured psyche, it spans 15 years, multiple sports, coaches and AD's, no one in the building from the fans up believe that we can win these types of games or expects us to.  You could see it in the players eye's during the game, you can see it in fan's leaving early in the 2nd half, you could see it in Columbus during warm up's before the Ohio St game it was not going to go well for the football team.

Success in any aspect of life requires leadership, a concrete vision of what you want to accomplish with a plan to get there, innovation and a willingness to do all the ugly, boring, behind the scenes monotonous preparation that leads to success. I don't believe we are doing any of those things at least not well.  Maybe John Cook could be AD someday and our Women's volleyball team could bring some testosterone over the the men's athletic department.  For now we have the Energy Bus and are living in a Twilight Zone Ground Hog Day of Callahan's, Sadler's, Collier's, Pelini's, Anderson's and Peterson's.

Welcom'e to the boar'd, nerd.

Thes'e are some interestin'g point's you're makin'g, I gues's. 

But I couldn't hel'p but thin'k there's a better wa'y to have your poin't under'stoo'd.

Watched second half with finger on fast forward a lot. For those in attendance, i have two questions: 1. How did "stalk out time" feel? They didn't make much of it on tv but paper made it sound like mass exodus. 2. Who was most annoying, "dunk machine" Toby, or scrub on bench who kept "twirling his lariat"?

Edited by jimmykc

35 minutes ago, Buglem said:

I'll respectfully disagree and that's the problem with the crowd.  I guess I see our job as helping provide energy when the team needs it, not when the team shows they deserve it.  The whole crowd was expecting a loss in the second half and instead of getting off their asses and cheering to provide energy or a spark for the team, they sat there waiting for the inevitable.  If we always wait for the team to do something exciting before cheering I believe we are all missing the point.

I guess we could expect the Husker fan base to be special and about the only fan base that would do the above...but that's probably not realistic.  The crowd was into it when things were interesting but when you are watching a team give up easy layups and breaking rims, almost every fan base is going to quiet down some.  The fans aren't the issue, quite frankly this team has/is been tough to watch the past couple seasons and it doesn't help that they struggle to win at home.  It just hasn't been good basketball.  

yet another year of losing to Creighton, no disrespect to them...they deserve to be winning the way we play and the way they play...HOWEVER every year I dislike them more and more.  Our team needs to get a fire lit under their seats at the start of this game...until they can walk the walk they probably need to just go into the game without saying a word and just let the energy out at game time and not prior to.

30 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I guess we could expect the Husker fan base to be special and about the only fan base that would do the above...but that's probably not realistic.  The crowd was into it when things were interesting but when you are watching a team give up easy layups and breaking rims, almost every fan base is going to quiet down some.  The fans aren't the issue, quite frankly this team has/is been tough to watch the past couple seasons and it doesn't help that they struggle to win at home.  It just hasn't been good basketball.  

I only expect the fan base to be as special in basketball as they are in football.  In football, they sense when the team needs a big defensive stand and get into it, that's all I'm asking.  I don't agree we would be that unique if we did that, certainly not the only fan base, I've seen it lots with other BIG teams.  Not sure if you were at the game last night but it was striking how engaged the fans were in the first half and how disengaged they were in the second, even when we were still within 4 points.  

29 minutes ago, nerdofalltrades said:

thanks atskooc's ;) I normally don't even use punctuation just run on sentences and  S apostrophes from now on seriously though this goes deeper than players making plays or strategy and i dont think SE is a bad gut or even bad AD but likely still not the answer all husker fans are seeking

You're welcome!  :)

So, as an English teacher, I'm not sure how we're going to get along.  B)

Courtesy of T-Rank, our offensive numbers are listed below.  Fix the below or we will continue to hover around the .500 mark and be a bottom of the barrel Big 10 team. Horne I'm guessing is sitting on the bench because Coach Mo and Miles do not trust him on the defensive end as of yet.....he may not be the answer but he came in with the pedigree of being able to shoot the ball.  Play him.

2013(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(297)(11)
3pt%-(304)(9)
2pt%-(273)(11)

2014(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(226)(8)
3pt%-(212)(7)
2pt%-(218)(7)

2015(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(288)(13)
3pt%-(341)(14)
2pt%-(156)(6)

2016(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(147)(8)
3pt%-(166)(10)
2pt%-(140)(7)

2017(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(314)(No Conference games)
3pt%-(326)(No Conference games)
2pt%-(275)(No Conference games)

9 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Courtesy of T-Rank, our offensive numbers are listed below.  Fix the below or we will continue to hover around the .500 mark and be a bottom of the barrel Big 10 team. Horne I'm guessing is sitting on the bench because Coach Mo and Miles do not trust him on the defensive end as of yet.....he may not be the answer but he came in with the pedigree of being able to shoot the ball.  Play him.

2013(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(297)(11)
3pt%-(304)(9)
2pt%-(273)(11)

2014(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(226)(8)
3pt%-(212)(7)
2pt%-(218)(7)

2015(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(288)(13)
3pt%-(341)(14)
2pt%-(156)(6)

2016(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(147)(8)
3pt%-(166)(10)
2pt%-(140)(7)

2017(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(314)(No Conference games)
3pt%-(326)(No Conference games)
2pt%-(275)(No Conference games)

This is not good!!!  Of course we have had a ruthless out of conference schedule

Yeah my son turned to last night and said "if I'm Horne I'm looking for somewhere else next year, I didn't come here to play the last 18 sec. of a blow out loss."

I know most of us would say WTF but my son is of the age of these players and even though they know they would have to really talk to me about transfering I can see where he is coming from.  He does need to see the floor more.

Just the ways of the world now.:mellow:

Also welcome Nerd, VERY GOOD THOUGHT,  about the athletic department.  I think you may very well be on to something.

And Jimmy the dunks hurt more. Let the goof dance because that just means he is the 12 of a 8 man rotation.  But the big un athletic white kid dunking twice on us was... well I threw up in my mouth a little when it happened.

5 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Yeah my son turned to last night and said "if I'm Horne I'm looking for somewhere else next year, I didn't come here to play the last 18 sec. of a blow out loss."

I know most of us would say WTF but my son is of the age of these players and even though they know they would have to really talk to me about transfering I can see where he is coming from.  He does need to see the floor more.

Just the ways of the world now.:mellow:

Also welcome Nerd, VERY GOOD THOUGHT,  about the athletic department.  I think you may very well be on to something.

And Jimmy the dunks hurt more. Let the goof dance because that just means he is the 12 of a 8 man rotation.  But the big un athletic white kid dunking twice on us was... well I threw up in my mouth a little when it happened.

he's a true freshman, and the season is only 1/4 over. there will be plenty of time to get horne minutes and see what he can do.

1 hour ago, nerdofalltrades said:

thanks atskooc's ;) I normally don't even use punctuation just run on sentences and  S apostrophes from now on seriously though this goes deeper than players making plays or strategy and i dont think SE is a bad gut or even bad AD but likely still not the answer all husker fans are seeking

Nerd, your premise that the mens' sports at Nebraska have been a disaster since the 1990s is easy to get behind. Where you lose me, however, is in your conclusion that Eichorst is the man to blame. I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. If anything, the problems are far more attributable to Steve Pedersen, Marc Boehm and Tom Osborne. TO is the one who hired Bo Pelini, Darin Erstad and Tim Miles.

Shawn Eichorst's role in the relative success of the football program is another story, though I still stand behind his management of that program and the decisions he's made. I also have no problem with his love for The Energy Bus and its essential philosophy about how to lead people in a positive manner. 

I do, however, take issue with your insistence on blaming him for the state of the basketball program. If you're dissatisfied with the basketball program, then you should turn your attention toward Osborne, Boehm and Miles. SE didn't hire Miles or any of his assistants. All he's done is exactly what he should do, which is to offer support and encouragement while at the same time emphasizing accountability by failing to renew Miles' contract extension. What else would you have him do?

Shawn Eichorst's leadership of the AD is just fine in my view. If Miles deserves to be shown the door, I have little doubt that Eichorst will act accordingly, but blaming him for the poor state of this basketball program seems very much out of left field to me.

6-4 was probably realistic when we first got our schedule.  5-5 was a real possibliity.  We are going to accomplish one or the other.  That to me tells me we are on track.

It hasn't been pretty.  Offense is like a solar eclipse.  It's amazing when we see it, but it's a rare sight.  My biggest hope is that the guys are more ready for the grind of the Big 10.

Guys... you put this team against Rutgers or Purdue schedule and we are sitting at 8-1 or whatever.  All high and mighty and yet to be challenged.  Is that what we really want?

We have seen some good basketball from these guys.  We have also seen some really bad basketball.  I know at 5-4, it is tough to see a bright spot, but it has been fun.  

We have played UCLA, CU and soon to be KU.  All legit top 10-15 teams.  We have also played Dayton, Clemson, and VA Tech.  All legit NCAA tourney quality teams.  I have loved watching us compete and play these guys.  Much more fun than blowing out Mary.

We will only be better for the schedule we have faced.  I just hope the players can see that.  Our schedule is up there with the best teams in the nation.  So yes... we are just 5-4.  But I look at who we have played.  Ask yourself... would you rather be 8-1 and have played terrible teams?