WBB: Game #9 vs Drake

Row6Seat10

Husker Women set to take on Drake Tuesday evening

2016.12.06-Womens-Event-fb975495b8.jpg

Nebraska Cornhuskers (3-5) vs. Drake Bulldogs (3-3)

Tuesday, Dec. 6, 7 p.m.
Pinnacle Bank Arena

Tickets: Huskers.com
Live Video: BTN Plus
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
KRNU 90.3 FM - UNL; KBBK 107.3 FM - Lincoln; KKCD 105.9 FM Omaha; KWBE 1450 AM - Beatrice; KRGI 1450 AM - Grand Island;

KHAS 1230 AM - Hastings; KGFW 1340 AM - Kearney; KZMC 102.1 FM - McCook; KNCY 1600/105.5 AM/FM - Nebraska City;

KHAQ 98.5 FM - North Platte; KNEB 94.1 FM - Scottsbluff; Inside PBA 87.7 FM
3Free Live Audio:
Huskers.com/Huskers App

SSJBJELCQDCFTWI.20161204234024.JPG

Huskers Hope to Tame Bulldogs at Home Tuesday

The Nebraska women’s basketball team continues its three-game home stand by taking on Drake Tuesday at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Tip-off between the Huskers (3-5) and the Bulldogs (3-3) is set for 7 p.m.

Nebraska will try to snap a four-game losing streak when they face Drake. The Huskers have lost two games to Pac-12 foes (California, 7-0; Washington State, 5-3) and two more to ACC opponents (Virginia Tech, 7-0; Virginia, 5-2) with three of the games coming on the road during the stretch. Those four opponents have a combined record of 24-5.

Through Sunday’s games, Nebraska’s first eight opponents owned a combined mark of 45-18 and Nebraska’s strength of schedule was No. 11 nationally according to RPIratings.com.

Drake is 3-3 overall and 1-3 away from home after suffering a 71-48 loss at 6-1 Green Bay. However, a potent Drake offense featuring one of the school’s all-time leading scorers Lizzy Wendell, will still provide a tough test for the young Huskers.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
32 - Jessica Shepard - 6-4 - So. - F
22 - Allie Havers - 6-5 - Sr. - C
5 - Nicea Eliely - 6-1 - Fr. - G
11 - Esther Ramacieri - 5-8 - Sr.
34 - Jasmine Cincore - 5-10 - Jr. - G

Drake Bulldogs
3 - Lizzy Wendell - 6-0 - Sr. - F
50 - Sara Rhine - 6-1 - So. - F
21 - Sammie Bachcrodt - 5-10 - So. - G
22 - Caitlin Ingle - 5-8 - Sr. - G
24 - Nicole Miller - 5-9 - So. - G

Scouting Drake

Coach Jennie Baranczyk brings her fifth Drake Bulldog team to Pinnacle Bank Arena to face the Huskers. Baranczyk, who is a 2004 graduate of Iowa, owns a 74-59 record at Drake in her first stint as a head coach. Last season, she led the Bulldogs to a 23-10 overall record that included a 14-4 Missouri Valley Conference mark. The Bulldogs tied for second in the Valley before advancing to the 2016 Postseason WNIT.
Drake returns four starters from last year’s squad, including the school’s No. 5 all-time leading scorer Lizzy Wendell. The 6-0 senior guard from Blue Springs, Mo., enters Tuesday night’s game with 1,992 points. She needs eight points to become just the fourth Drake player to reach 2,000 career points.

A trio of sophomores join Drake’s history-making seniors in the starting five. Sammie Bachcrodt, a 5-10 guard, ranks second on the team in scoring (11.5 rpg) and third on the team in rebounding (5.2 rpg) while leading the Bulldogs from three-point range (13-25, .520). She also ranks second on the team with 10 steals.

Sara Rhine, a 6-1 forward has pitched in 11.3 points and a team-best 6.3 rebounds per game. Rhine also leads the Bulldogs in free throws made (24) and attempted (26) while hitting 92.3 percent of her shots at the stripe.

Nicole Miller, a 5-9 guard, rounds out Drake’s starting five with 5.2 points and 2.7 rebounds per game.
As a team, Drake is shooting a solid .453 from the field, including .284 from three-point range. The Bulldogs have been outrebounded, 37.8-37.2 and own a minus-1.2 team turnover margin, while forcing 14.8 turnovers per game.

Nebraska leads the all-time series with Drake, 10-8, including Postseason WNIT wins in the last two meetings. The Huskers defeated Drake 62-59 in 2006, at the Devaney Center, and rolled to a 73-60 win over the Bulldogs in 2004 at Devaney.

Tuesday’s game will be Drake’s first-ever game at Pinnacle Bank Arena and the first regular-season meeting between the Huskers and Bulldogs in Lincoln since 2002. Nebraska is set to return to Drake in non-conference play next season.

Nebraska is 5-5 all-time against Drake in Lincoln.

Husker Nuggets

Drake is Nebraska’s eighth consecutive opponent this season that currently carries a .500 or better record. The combined record of Nebraska’s first seven opponents this season is 45-18 (.714).

Jessica Shepard leads the Huskers with averages of 17.5 points and 10.1 rebounds per game.

Shepard leads Nebraska in three-point field goals made (11) and three-point field goal percentage (.500),

Nebraska freshman Nicea Eliely ranks second on the team in scoring (8.8 ppg), fourth in rebounding (3.6 rpg), second in assists (2.6 apg) and first in steals (1.8 spg) through the first eight games of her collegiate career.

Nebraska senior Allie Havers has competed in 104 consecutive games since the first game of her freshman season in 2013-14. The Huskers own a 68-36 record in those contests over the last four years.

The Huskers have knocked down at least one three-pointer in 259 straight regular-season games

GAME NOTES:
BEAT THE BULLDOGS!

csul5b22nebr_(1500)_blk__.jpg

View full article

Edited by Row6Seat10

14-20 in the second after 2 Drake free throws. 

Nicea makes a layup! 16-20... and then a triple for Drake. 16-23.

YOU BETCHA! Counterattack! 19-23. 

ROOF ROOF ROOF... oh, wait. Wrong sport!

Jess picks up her second foul.

Washington then fouls a shooter who missed. 6:42 in the 2nd.

Much better 2nd qtr. Defense improved as game went on.

Allie is looking more like herself from last year.  Shooting real well. Moving well around the basket offensively.

Nicea and Hannah play well together. Hannah is getting more disruptive on defense. We had a real good flow for  awhile....wonder if we should have just let that particular 5 play for a while.

Game is very winnable

We just don't play man defense well at all.....can't keep up with the offense player.  Switching seems to be a mystery for some. There's always some one open for Drake

TURNOVERS!!

We need bigs that can defend and not foul !

Drake is rubbing our players off on th we post if I'm seeing it right pay attention to that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We just don't play man defense well at all.....can't keep up with the offense player.  Switching seems to be a mystery for some. There's always some one open for Drake

TURNOVERS!!

We need bigs that can defend and not foul !

We are getting a ome bullshit calls on our bigs.

24 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Is this team improving, spinning it's wheels or regressing?

After this game...I'm puzzled. I couldn't figure out what we trying to do.  I know we want to get the ball inside to Jess, but seem to be abandoning everything else, like breaking to the basket like Drake did for the whole game.... so they can get assists for baskets.

While I'm all for subbing and giving everyone a chance, but we don't get into a flow when we don't know who we're playing with. It does make a difference if you know what your fellow player is going to do. We just don't seem to have that right now.

Just so much to do better.

The one time Allie was scoring well, and we caught up and tied the score...they get pulled out of the game, instead of letting them play. Allie should have played the entire second half. Game went down hill after that and ...we were no longer competitive.

Noah's right...no chemistry

Edited by redsteve

4 minutes ago, redsteve said:

After this game...I'm puzzled. I couldn't figure out what we trying to do.  I know we want to get the ball inside to Jess, but seem to be abandoning everything else, like breaking to the basket like Drake did for the whole game.... so they can get assists for baskets.

While I'm all for subbing and giving everyone a chance, but we don't get into a flow when we don't know who we're playing with. It does make a difference if you know what your fellow player is going to do. We just don't seem to have that right now.

Just so much to do better.

The one time Allie was scoring well, and we caught up and tied the score...they get pulled out of the game, instead of letting them play. Allie should have played the entire second half. Game went down hill after that and ...we were no longer competitive.

this was a head scratcher--------from the coaches on down.

this was a head scratcher--------from the coaches on down.

Back when my brother was in high school his coach would play the starters they would start playing good then he would pull them and put the subs in just when the subs starting doing well bs k in would go the starters never could get into a rhythm. My dad would get so frustrated.