CU Scout

hhcmatt

I'm looking at Ed's FG% and his turnover rate and wondering if the Jays will double team the post to force turnovers and turn us into a jump shooting team like they did against Wisconsin.

Via whiteandbluereview.com

39 (!!) of Wisconsin’s 63 shot attempts came from three-point range, and they made just 11 of them — meanwhile, the Badgers shot 15-24 on two-point baskets. CU’s defensive strategy of doubling the post every time the ball went inside left the Badgers with open looks on the perimeter, and the gamble paid off.

Speaking of Creighton’s defense, they had eight steals and forced 16 Wisconsin turnovers, which led to two big advantages: 26-13 in points off turnovers, and 13-0 on fast break points. It also helped get the Jays out in transition and play the game at a faster pace than Wisconsin would have liked.

Wisconsin, one of the nation’s leading teams in terms of free throw attempts (and makes), attempted just five free throws the entire night as a result of all their jump shots, which accomplished two big things: it robbed the Badgers of one of their primary methods of piling up points, and by keeping them from standing at the free throw line for large chunks of the second half, it allowed Creighton to build momentum and keep the crowd into the game

The differences I see between us and Wisconsin are

1. We aren't a great 3 pt shooting team

2. Ed doesn't pass out of the post and in fact works and scores through double teams though he will cough up the ball

3. We aren't generating offense at the FT line 

Not sure that this is how they might defend us though it's one way.  Regardless I think we need to get the ball to Ed via drive as much as possible because he's capable of scoring quickly before the defense reacts. If we have to work it down into the paint slowly we're just asking for a double team that raises the chances of a stripped ball going the other way for a Marcus Foster Dunk Gif.

4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I'm looking at Ed's FG% and his turnover rate and wondering if the Jays will double team the post to force turnovers and turn us into a jump shooting team like they did against Wisconsin.

Via whiteandbluereview.com

The differences I see between us and Wisconsin are

1. We aren't a great 3 pt shooting team

2. Ed doesn't pass out of the post and in fact works and scores through double teams though he will cough up the ball

3. We aren't generating offense at the FT line 

Not sure that this is how they might defend us though it's one way.  Regardless I think we need to get the ball to Ed via drive as much as possible because he's capable of scoring quickly before the defense reacts. If we have to work it down into the paint slowly we're just asking for a double team that raises the chances of a stripped ball going the other way for a Marcus Foster Dunk Gif.

You're right. I just personally don't like when Ed gets the ball with his back to the basket because he can get pretty wreckless, especially if they do indeed bring two defenders. I guess I'd rather have him dish it out and us hit an open look but if we're cold then ya he's gonna have to score through one defender or double teams or we're gonna have to drive and dish alot

4 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

You're right. I just personally don't like when Ed gets the ball with his back to the basket because he can get pretty wreckless, especially if they do indeed bring two defenders. I guess I'd rather have him dish it out and us hit an open look but if we're cold then ya he's gonna have to score through one defender or double teams or we're gonna have to drive and dish alot

That's why it's so important for Webster and Watson to attack and find Ed in situations where he doesn't need to beat two guys. The more we can punish these guys for picking one to take away, if that is the plan, the more effective our offense will be.

15 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So last year when the Huskers played So. Miss in football I wore my So. Miss hat and a Nebraska shirt. My dad was born and raised in Hattisburg. I still have kin folk down there. Does that make me an asshole? or just repping my blood and the school I love.

You're asking me about a time where you wore a Southern Miss hat to a Southern Miss game, i.e., a game in which Southern Miss was one of the participants?

You might have missed the part of my post where I said, "There's something inherently provocative showing up at your rival's sporting event wearing your team's apparel when your team isn't playing there."

As far as this NU/CU thing, this has become a heated rivalry between the fan bases, and obviously, given the nature of the comments coming from the players, it's a rivalry for them as well.  I cannot imagine that anyone who owns NU or CU gear and attends games doesn't realize the heated nature into which this rivalry has evolved.  So, if I saw a guy dressed in CU stuff attending an NU vs. Someone Else game, as 49r has described seeing, there's not just a possibility but a probability that he's effectively flipping us the bird.

Now, I don't advocate being an a-hole to that person in return, but there's only so many ways to read that conduct.  It's almost certainly purposive and deliberate, and you're being naïve or deliberately obtuse if you don't think so. Just my opinion.

I'm just going to try my damndest to enjoy this week in Husker basketball.  It's a rare occurrence that we are going up against 2 top 10 non conference opponents in back to back games.  I'll be bummed if we lose for sure, but I'm going to enjoy watching us play some quality opponents outside the B1G.

13 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

I'm just going to try my damndest to enjoy this week in Husker basketball.  It's a rare occurrence that we are going up against 2 top 10 non conference opponents in back to back games.  I'll be bummed if we lose for sure, but I'm going to enjoy watching us play some quality opponents outside the B1G.

Good teams are going to run their offenses and defenses.  They do not have to gadget up.  I won't say that Creighton won't throw an occasional zone at us, but I will be surprised if is anything more than to show us the defense.  Where they will change things up is whether they go under or over picks, or other nuances of their man defensive package.  But to reinvent the wheel just doesn't sound plausible. 

Edited by huskercwg

15 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Good teams are going to run their offenses and defenses.  They do not have to gadget up.  I won't say that Creighton won't throw an occasional zone at us, but I will be surprised if is anything more than to show us the defense.  Where they will change things up is whether they go under or over picks, or other nuances of their man defensive package.  But to reinvent the wheel just doesn't sound plausible. 

I agree with you.  They'll be a lot like UCLA in that they'll play vanilla against us as long as they're able to.

Difference is Alford was always going to be a bit slower to react to us than McDermott will be, in other words we won't have as much opportunity to sneak up on Creighton as we did against the Bruins.

55 minutes ago, bleujay said:

Trifecta is good people, I think you guys would appreciate his posts.

Man, @49r , and you called ME out for sandbagging?? This Hoops_Legend guys hails from the sahara for crying out loud..

You thought I was joking in the KenPom thread when I said your non-con was shamefully soft (and yes, I realize I'm also including the Huskers in that bucket), and yet here we are, Creighton is one softball (ASU - your only true non conference road game) away from getting to 13-0 in the non-con.  Can you honestly sit here and tell me you think there is even the slightest chance they won't get there?  You can't, or else you're sandbagging us.

That's gonna knock you down a seed line come tournament time without doubt, and when you have final four aspirations, one seed can kill you.  Might be the difference between playing your regional final in KC or getting shipped out west to play Gonzaga or somebody.

Truthfully, 49r, I did not expect this team to win against Wisky. Nor did I expect us to come out of Paradise Jam undefeated. NC State and Ole Miss aren't slouches

So, I guess I have to give credit to ya, I didn't foresee the improvement in one of our sophomores, as well as the level of consistent production from a redshirt freshman so those two factors have completely changed my outlook on this season. I was trying to temper expectations for a team that had a few question marks. Wasn't sandbagging, I promise. I think you will give us a good run for our money tomorrow at PBA. Its College Basketball baby, anything can happen

Realized I didn't really answer your questions. At this point, yes, 13-0 looks likely heading into New Years. Looking back, I wish we'd had more true road games, but we have true road tests against Butler, Nova, and Xavier to look forward to so its not the end of the world. The level of competition in our noncon allowed the team to gel, still nowhere close to playing to the level of basketball that they are capable of. Playing so well in the noncon has put us in control of our destiny regarding seeding. Plenty of opportunities left for this team to prove itself to the committee.

7 hours ago, 49r said:

I think @Hoops_Legend would be much happier posting over at HuskerMax (or whatever it's called now), because it seems like there's a lot of his type of folks posting over there.  I have only gone over there a time or two myself but their basketball discussions seem to be pretty base and lack any kind of insight as far as I can tell.  He'd fit in pretty well over there I think.

:Lol:
:Lol:

:Lol:  He could come on over and feel right at home 49r.  There's even a (pinned) Thread for discussing Creighton games (there are so many Husker football fans from Oma that it's almost 'de rigueur' :Redface:); Loyalties are so divided he could post on both sides; And even argue with himself! :Facepalm:

You're right, conversations are sparse, compared to HHC, so Anything to get a little more discussion going on HuskerMax's BB forums; But some posters are knowledgeable (I'm just not one of 'em ;)).

7 hours ago, bleujay said:

Trifecta is good people, I think you guys would appreciate his posts.

Man, @49r , and you called ME out for sandbagging?? This Hoops_Legend guys hails from the sahara for crying out loud..

You thought wrong.  Just like these other gems from that horrific message board. Thanks Dimes for showing that so I felt the need to check in over there.  Considering, how they consider themselves to be so much smarter than us, the basketball talk over there is horrific.  Just a pathetic message board.  The only thing that drums up much interest over there is the topic of Nebraska.   The inferiority complex is quite the phenomenon.  

1.  TAA thinking he is quite the comedian, wondering if they are looking ahead to the Longwood game.  I might have to dig up the video of this clown winning Valley Tickets.  Now that is funny.   That "Go Jays" awkward scream is epic.  His humor, not so much. 

2.  The awesomely named Jaysker12 gives us his insights into the game.   "I haven't seen them play yet, but the offense resembles that of years past."  Okay dude. 

3.  Gotta love this name.  NUgradCUfan  It isn't NU for starters.  While easy mistake to make on the fly, it is not a mistake that should be made in a posting handle.  And the name just screams I AM A TOOL.   As for his insights, we were expecting Gill to replace White production, lol.  Wow. 

4. WhiteandBlue77 summing up many in this fanbase thinking they are better than everyone else.  Complaining that he has to go to a bar to watch the game with a bunch of southern rednecks because he doesn't have BTN.  You would think a guy with Creighton levels of intelligence would subscribe online for a short time and use an Apple TV to stream it to avoid hanging out with people so inferior to him

5. Good old LynchMob blessing everyone with his thoughts.  "This will be a beatdown because the Huskers are scared and Miles cannot prepare a team. " Thanks for that Lych.

6. DJAYFAN laughably claiming that Webster was thinking about Creighton during the South Dakota game, more than that game he was playing in.  He also claimed that we are about to become the 3rd best program in the state:)   My goodness.  There is delusional and then there is this guy.

7.  Double Douche bragging about picking up some tremendous seats.  Tom Green is your typical Creighton fan.  Thinks he is more important than he is, when he is just another lawyer around every Omaha corner.

8.  NUgradCUfan chimes in with more douchebaggery   He says he is hoping to be surrounded by all Nebraska fans when Patton throws one down.  Meanwhile, I hope I am next to him when this occurs. 

9.  Hardwood informing us that Creighton taking over the building while be similar to Husker fans taking over Northwestern in football.  Sounds like he might have first hand knowledge of that experience.  Looks like we have a classic Jaysker. 

10.  Hunter calling all of us "Cousin Eddies" to stay wtih the superiority theme

11.  Jayslifer claiming "That was the first time (maybe ever) that I've visited Husker Hoops Central."   This clearly shows he is a pathetic liar.  Why would you have to say (maybe ever) if you already claimed it was your first time visiting.  Caught in an outright lie. 

12.  Jaysker12 with more brilliance claiming there is no way we can keep up. 

A douche is a douche, and looks like your noticing them well.

At the end of the day it is about us winning and that's really the only thing that you can ever use to fight back.

We keep losing and they keep winning, posts like yours end up in the "whiny bit**" category.  Inferiority complexes only exist when we turn the tables.

6 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

A douche is a douche, and looks like your noticing them well.

At the end of the day it is about us winning and that's really the only thing that you can ever use to fight back.

We keep losing and they keep winning, posts like yours end up in the "whiny bit**" category.  Inferiority complexes only exist when we turn the tables.

You almost sounded like a husker fan...  but you just couldn't help yourself with that last sentence.  Oh well after tomorrow we won't have to hear about either way because I will be needing to worry about Kansas and I don't care what Creighton does next.

11 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Ed does well with his back to the basket when he gets it in a low post position. He doesn't have a lot of moves but he has a strong baseline drop keeping his shoulders nice and square to the backboard to protect the ball.  His middle to baseline double drop is OK as well.

Needs to develops an actual jumphook to the middle if he wants defenses to respect the first move to the middle to open up the double drop. That move is really a counter and right now he is missing the primary move that should be its companion. 

Where he gets in trouble is when he receives the ball 8 to 12 feet out with his back to basket. He always faces and tries to go baseline for the reverse layup. When D's have taken that away he has turnovers trying to spin back middle or he just dribbles too much until the help/double arrives. 

Rigjt now he's very powerful at the basket and he needs to keep developing to make him a complete post player. 

8 hours ago, huskercwg said:

The way they sag in their man and play screens encourages outside shooting. Really has the same effect as a zone anyway. The bigger item to me is who they double and if we can find an open man out it. Ed will get doubled for sure, since he's the biggest threat inside and he might have trouble passing out of trap from Huff and Patton. Not sure anyone else is going to rate a double team. 

47 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Just like these other gems from that horrific message board. Thanks Dimes for showing that so I felt the need to check in over there. 

I hope that was sarcastic as pointing out dumb things fans on some other sites post as some form of failed wisdom isn't exactly the opposite.