CU Scout

hhcmatt

17 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Let he who would not wear thy Husker gear to the Clink throw the first t-shirt.

LOL!

If I ever go to an entertainment event at the Clink, I'll be sure to wear my Husker gear.

If I get heckled, it'll be because the person/people heckling me is an asshole/are assholes.  The problem won't be with me, for sure.

Edited by atskooc

41 minutes ago, atskooc said:

LOL!

If I ever go to an entertainment event at the Clink, I'll be sure to wear my Husker gear.

If I get heckled, it'll be because the person/people heckling me is an asshole/are assholes.  The problem won't be with me, for sure.

The company I work for hands out Creighton tickets like candy.  I must be an asshole because if I ever attend I am wearing Husker attire.  I'm never really feeling out of place though because as you walk out the door you start to notice quite a few people putting their Husker jackets on. 

2 hours ago, King James said:

Fair enough.  I would suggest that there is a pretty big difference between 20% and the "1/3 to 1/2 statement" you made in your original post, but whatever.

If there is a lot of blue there, it means that, for the most part, Nebraska fans sold their tickets since the arena is allegedly sold out to season ticket holders.  I suspect that some of the blue would be friends or family of season ticket holders that the season ticket holders chose to bring as guests. 

I know a lot of tickets around me were bought solely for the purpose of being sold on the secondary market. I do not think the original owners have been in those seats once since it opened. I have a feeling its that way in other sections too. 

2 hours ago, atskooc said:

Sure, I can see how some could interpret it as an asshole move, but certainly not one that requires them being put in their place.  They bought a ticket to an entertainment event; they shouldn't be heckled for that.

What's more asshole-ish: wearing another team's gear to a sporting event, or heckling someone for nothing more than wearing another team's gear to a sporting event?  I know where I cast my vote.

Hell, we as Husker fans pride ourselves in the fact that we travel well (we keep throwing up a picture of a Notre Dame football game from 15 years ago to pat ourselves on the back).  If the logic is that people who wear other team's gear to a sporting event are assholes, then for a couple decades Husker fans were the biggest assholes in sports.

I'm referring to if they are there just to piss off Husker fans by being assholes, not just for being CU fans. You missed my point. The fact they come to multiple games in CU gear shows they are there to merely ruffle feathers.

4 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

The fact they come to multiple games in CU gear shows they are there to merely ruffle feathers.

Seems a lot more likely someone would come to a non-Nebraska vs Creighton game dressed in Creighton gear because they like to watch college basketball but are Creighton fans. There are a lot easier ways to ruffle feathers than purchasing tickets and driving to the arena.

5 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Seems a lot more likely someone would come to a non-Nebraska vs Creighton game dressed in Creighton gear because they like to watch college basketball but are Creighton fans. There are a lot easier ways to ruffle feathers than purchasing tickets and driving to the arena.

Yup.  Short of the shirt saying, "I'm just here to piss you off," I'm not really sure how what the people are wearing says anything about their motivations.

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That's highly likely. It's strange, the dynamics between major metropolitan cities versus mid-to-small cities. It's not incredibly uncommon to see unrelated sportswear at a game in a major city. It may catch your eye, it may cross your mind for a second, and then you move on. As long as they aren't bothering anybody, no harm, no foul.

6 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

That's highly likely. It's strange, the dynamics between major metropolitan cities versus mid-to-small cities. It's not incredibly uncommon to see unrelated sportswear at a game in a major city. It may catch your eye, it may cross your mind for a second, and then you move on. As long as they aren't bothering anybody, no harm, no foul.

Exactly.

It's really pretty simple to not be a jerk.

2 hours ago, atskooc said:

Sure, I can see how some could interpret it as an asshole move, but certainly not one that requires them being put in their place.  They bought a ticket to an entertainment event; they shouldn't be heckled for that.

What's more asshole-ish: wearing another team's gear to a sporting event, or heckling someone for nothing more than wearing another team's gear to a sporting event?  I know where I cast my vote.

Hell, we as Husker fans pride ourselves in the fact that we travel well (we keep throwing up a picture of a Notre Dame football game from 15 years ago to pat ourselves on the back).  If the logic is that people who wear other team's gear to a sporting event are assholes, then for a couple decades Husker fans were the biggest assholes in sports.

I don't know...the normal person in me would likely strike up a conversation with them and be a nice guy.  In fact, I went to Mass on Saturday evening and encountered a family wearing Blue Jay gear.  I sort of heckled them in a good natured kind of way as we were filing out of church.  I think the four year old was intimidated though :)

But there is a little devil seated on one of my shoulders that given the right incentive would turn me into that A**hole you are talking about.  I am not certain what that incentive would be, but when I was younger, it took less than it would today.  That incentive would likely be boorish behavior on their part...but most Creighton fans are pretty decent people (for example my idiot sister and brother-in-law --did I just say that out loud).  But there are a few...

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Don't be fooled dimes, they know exactly what they're doing, it's a passive aggressive dominance signal.  Most people are self-aware enough to understand that when they attend sporting events between two clubs and they wear the gear of a third (that happens to be a local rival) that they are sending a message.  It comes mostly from a position of insecurity, which again, is annoying because they have nothing to be insecure about - yet they still seem to be somehow.  I guess it's the chip-on-the-shoulder sports mentality that breeds it.  Anyway, I'll just clarify here and say I'm not generalizing at all in any way but it happens and I've seen it at PBA.

In the interest of fairness, I will add it happens all the time when I watch Royals games and they show fans there dressed in Husker gear (and even though I kind of get it 'cause Gordo) it still rankles me a bit.  Huskers are not immune to having annoyingly insecure fans by any stretch.

Maybe that's just me that's bothered, though.  I don't even wear red when I go to Husker road games, but I digress.

All of this is just a long way to go to explain that I expect people will be surprised at the amount of blue in the stands Wednesday night.  It's gonna be more blue than usual, possibly the most blue ever in Lincoln.  That's all.

If a Creighton fan wore Creighton gear to a Royals game, it wouldn't bother me.  If a Creighton fan wore Creighton gear to a KC Cheifs FB game, it woudn't bother me.

I think what 49r describes is different.  There's something inherently provocative showing up at your rival's sporting event wearing your team's apparel when your team isn't playing there.

I can remember the day after we lost to FSU in the '93 Orange bowl, I was in a Valentino's in Lincoln and some kid had an FSU sweatshirt on.  You only do that if you're a real asshole.  I remember wanting to punch him.  Wearing CU gear to non-CU Husker home games falls in the same category in my opinion.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Maybe that's just me that's bothered, though.  I don't even wear red when I go to Husker road games

I got to thinking and of course this is just me taking the opportunity to virtue signal, and I guess that's just as annoying as anything.  Apologies to the board for that.

@hhcdimes and @atskooc, you both seem like very well adjusted folks.  We could all learn a thing or two from your example.  I'm not judging at all, sorry if I gave off that impression.  Just expressing my POV.

Now back to your regularly scheduled #RoastBeefSandwiches discussion... :)  

47 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If a Creighton fan wore Creighton gear to a Royals game, it wouldn't bother me.  If a Creighton fan wore Creighton gear to a KC Cheifs FB game, it woudn't bother me.

I think what 49r describes is different.  There's something inherently provocative showing up at your rival's sporting event wearing your team's apparel when your team isn't playing there.

I can remember the day after we lost to FSU in the '93 Orange bowl, I was in a Valentino's in Lincoln and some kid had an FSU sweatshirt on.  You only do that if you're a real asshole.  I remember wanting to punch him.  Wearing CU gear to non-CU Husker home games falls in the same category in my opinion.

Or maybe you only do it if you're a fan of FSU? (Is that synonymous with being an asshole? :))

I know I wouldn't wear one if I weren't a fan. 

Edited by atskooc

I agree Norm to a degree.  It's no coincidence, certainly an act of proclaiming their fandom.  However, I don't think it's meant to be an A Hole.  

CU was long treated as the red headed Nebraska step child program as a mid major.  Now they are the better program and want to show it off.

It's more like an ethnic family dressing in their native garb at the supermarket or something.