CU Scout

hhcmatt

31 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i would play a slow tempo and try to win this game in the half court.

we need our starters to all play 30+ minutes because our bench has been too unreliable. jordi and roby are the only bench players i would play.

I would walk the ball up the court make or miss, personally. But we also can't run the shot clock down and shoot a crap shot at the buzzer. 

Question - how do we match up? Who does McVeigh guard? Foster? Hell no. Watson? Obviously not. Just sag off KT and hope he's not hitting? Guess so... Tai and Glenn should be fine. Jacobsen and Morrow will be fine, but McVeigh worries me. Might be a better game for Gill and Taylor, defensively anyways. Good game for Roby to get to guard "up" a position, and not be too overwhelmed.

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

I would walk the ball up the court make or miss, personally. But we also can't run the shot clock down and shoot a crap shot at the buzzer. 

Question - how do we match up? Who does McVeigh guard? Foster? Hell no. Watson? Obviously not. Just sag off KT and hope he's not hitting? Guess so... Tai and Glenn should be fine. Jacobsen and Morrow will be fine, but McVeigh worries me. Might be a better game for Gill and Taylor, defensively anyways. Good game for Roby to get to guard "up" a position, and not be too overwhelmed.

regardless of how we match up with cu, i would stop playing gill and taylor until they improve. taylor and gill's stats combined are 4.9 pts on 25% shooting in 30 min per game.

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

McVeigh is gonna have to guard KT cuz you're right there's no way he's guarding Foster. What's concerning is KT has been shooting over 50% from 3 this year and over 60% from the field this year. I think that's where atmosphere could come into play. Hopefully he doesn't shoot that well when he's got 15,000 wanting him to miss. It really helps this is there first true road game and literally none of their starters played in Lincoln 2 years ago.

I think ET will play a decent amount of minutes just for his defense. McVeigh is going to have a hard time guarding Tazz. I think Taylor draws that assignment when Creighton has all 3 starting gaurds on the court.

Watson isn't a world beater offensively so I think Glynn can handle him.

Tai is a really good defender. Hopefully he really slows Foster down with some lock down D.

I think Jacobson/ Morrow can hold their own v. Creightons front court.

Creighton has a huge advantage when it comes to bench play. If we could get some big surprises from our bench that would be huge.

Our starters will have to play alot and play well to pull off the upset.

10 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Unfortunately, this is the new culture that exists for local kids.

Arop was all in here.  This might be tough to wrap your mind around but it's possible that a some people in Omaha might like the team from Omaha that is no longer a rinky-dink MVC powerhouse playing in a decaying bandbox. 

Has anyone else noticed that KT only shoots in the paint and 3s?  Obviously this is what you would want in terms of shot selection but looking at his numbers from last year he took about 25% of his shots there and made about 25% of those shots. This year 6 of his 69 attempts (8.7%) have come from mid range Js. He's made 1.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Watson vs. Watson is a great matchup, might be the key if it leads to foul trouble for one of them. The most interesting one, though, might be Ed vs. Huff. Ed can bully Huff inside and get him in foul trouble, but Huff can pull Ed away from the basket and make him ineffective on defensive rebounding. 

Mo Watson isn't necessarily drawing a ton of contact this year though he's capable. He's also isn't finishing that well at the rim this year....maybe because he's spending the majority of his time trying to find an open guy as opposed to being more assertive scoring as he was last year. How well can Glynn or anyone else be at keeping Watson in front of them? He certainly will hit shots when you sag off him too much but him driving into the paint will cause the breakdowns that lead to easier buckets.

Seems to me you might want to put the more physical Ed on whichever post player is in the paint and Jacobson on whichever post player is floating out towards the 3 and live with the height mismatches. 

9 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

this is there first true road game

While this is true, unfortunately it will also be true that PBA is going to be about 1/3 to half blue so it will be more like a neutral game for them.  You might be surprised how many of their fans buy season tickets for Nebrasketball just for this game every other year.

What will be interesting to see is if Miles/Molinari tweaks anything on defense for this game.  We have given up far too many open looks to Creighton over the past 3-4 years.  I'm not saying that's all a product of the defense we are playing but I don't think our style really lends well to a team that wants to 25 three pointers a game.  Last year, it was pretty clear many of the newcomers were getting lost out on the floor.  But really, I think it comes down to how we perform on the other end.  It's going to be very hard to win if we shoot 40-42% or under like we have done the past three games.  This will be Creighton's first road game of the year so there is no telling how that will play out for them. 

36 minutes ago, 49r said:

While this is true, unfortunately it will also be true that PBA is going to be about 1/3 to half blue so it will be more like a neutral game for them.  You might be surprised how many of their fans buy season tickets for Nebrasketball just for this game every other year.

Has there ever been a game in Lincoln where the crowd is 1/3 to 1/2 blue? I do not recall one.

14 minutes ago, King James said:

Has there ever been a game in Lincoln where the crowd is 1/3 to 1/2 blue? I do not recall one.

Couple years ago - I was shocked.  Probably about 20% blue, and we were ranked at the time, or just a few weeks removed from a ranking.

I estimate that due to increasing fan apathy in Lincoln and a highly energized fanbase in Omaha it would skew the numbers more blue.  I could be wrong, but I bet I'm not.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I wasn't at the game two years ago, but if Creighton fans are actually buying Nebraska season tickets for just one game I have to say that is one big power move, as financially dumb as that is.

There are a couple of differences with this team that I've noticed that effect this particular match up. First, we're scoring with minimal reliance on the FT line.  We obviously should be drawing more contact than we are now but it's not been the killer it has been in the past. McD squads on average defend you without putting you on the FT line. Second, the person with the highest "percentage of shots taken" (This is the percentage of a team’s shots taken, while the player is on the court), Glynn Watson is currently at 25.3% which is easily the lowest number of the Miles era. (Dylan Talley at 26.2% is the second lowest. Petteway's 33.4% in his last year was #20 in the country). Simply taking away the guy on our team who shoots and makes at a high rate is not going to be as effective this year.

2 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I wasn't at the game two years ago, but if Creighton fans are actually buying Nebraska season tickets for just one game I have to say that is one big power move, as financially dumb as that is.

Considering how cheap our season tickets are, it's not a huge outlay.

But yeah, they do it.  There's a couple of Jays fans that have season tickets near me in the 100 level.  They regularly wear their CU gear to Big Ten games.  It's frustrating.

26 minutes ago, 49r said:

But yeah, they do it.  There's a couple of Jays fans that have season tickets near me in the 100 level.  They regularly wear their CU gear to Big Ten games.  It's frustrating.

And stupid!  That is like me wearing my Yankee stuff to the Royals game when they are playing the Twins.  Sorry but that is just plain moronic at best. I would rather see the Eric Crouch jersey tucked into jeans.

Edited by Silverbacked1

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Please tell me you put them in their place when needed!!

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Please tell me you leave them to their own business, like a normal person would.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Couple years ago - I was shocked.  Probably about 20% blue, and we were ranked at the time, or just a few weeks removed from a ranking.

I estimate that due to increasing fan apathy in Lincoln and a highly energized fanbase in Omaha it would skew the numbers more blue.  I could be wrong, but I bet I'm not.

Fair enough.  I would suggest that there is a pretty big difference between 20% and the "1/3 to 1/2 statement" you made in your original post, but whatever.

If there is a lot of blue there, it means that, for the most part, Nebraska fans sold their tickets since the arena is allegedly sold out to season ticket holders.  I suspect that some of the blue would be friends or family of season ticket holders that the season ticket holders chose to bring as guests. 

Edited by King James

35 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Please tell me you put them in their place when needed!!

29 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Please tell me you leave them to their own business, like a normal person would.

For the most part they're docile, no place putting necessary.  But it is a pretty assholish move to wear Creighton gear to games not involving them don't you think?  Not to mention how horrifically passive-aggressive and immature it is.  But I guess that's on them and perfectly encapsulates the character of the fanbase in general.  No self-awareness or respect at all.

I'm glad I'm not one of them, just sad I have to sit so near them.

Edited by 49r

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Anyone else notice that Creighton's 3pt attempt/total attempts rate of 35% is currently at a 5 year low?

Yes, I have noticed a considerable lack of shit-ball in the games of theirs I have watched so far.

But conversely, there seems to be an uptick in the amount of "lob it in to Patton and see if he can pull the goal standard down a-la Shaq" offense played.  So that's probably why.

Sure, I can see how some could interpret it as an asshole move, but certainly not one that requires them being put in their place.  They bought a ticket to an entertainment event; they shouldn't be heckled for that.

What's more asshole-ish: wearing another team's gear to a sporting event, or heckling someone for nothing more than wearing another team's gear to a sporting event?  I know where I cast my vote.

Hell, we as Husker fans pride ourselves in the fact that we travel well (we keep throwing up a picture of a Notre Dame football game from 15 years ago to pat ourselves on the back).  If the logic is that people who wear other team's gear to a sporting event are assholes, then for a couple decades Husker fans were the biggest assholes in sports.

Edited by atskooc

Just now, atskooc said:

Sure, I can see that it's an asshole move, but certainly not one that requires them being put in their place.  They bought a ticket to an entertainment event; they shouldn't be heckled for that.

Let he who would not wear thy Husker gear to the Clink throw the first t-shirt.