CU Scout

hhcmatt

The allure of Roast Beef Sandwiches keeping everyone hungry it would seem.

This would be a good place to pile up all those things relevant to our annual meeting with the Jays your insightful looks, your frustrations, your saved up Nick Bahe twitter videos, etc

Telling stat of the season right here... More scout of creighton to come

Catch and Shoot - Half Court
% Time
    Poss
Rank
Rating
FGm
FGM
FGA
FG%
aFG%
%TO
%FT
%SF
%Score
Catch and Shoot 28.6%      106 88 0.83 6% Poor 76 30 106 28.3% 41.5% 0% 0% 0% 28.3%
  Guarded 65.1%         69 65 0.942 38% Average 47 22 69 31.9% 47.1% 0% 0% 0% 31.9%
  Unguarded 34.9%        37 23 0.622 3% Poor 29 8 37 21.6% 31.1% 0% 0% 0%

21.6%

5 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Telling stat of the season right here... More scout of creighton to come

% Time
    Poss
Rank
Rating
FGm
FGM
FGA
FG%
aFG%
%TO
%FT
%SF
%Score
Catch and Shoot 28.6%      106 88 0.83 6% Poor 76 30 106 28.3% 41.5% 0% 0% 0% 28.3%
  Guarded 65.1%         69 65 0.942 38% Average 47 22 69 31.9% 47.1% 0% 0% 0% 31.9%
  Unguarded 34.9%        37 23 0.622 3% Poor 29 8 37 21.6% 31.1% 0% 0% 0%

21.6%

Is catch and shoot defined as receiving a pass and then taking a 2/3 pt jump shot without moving to a different spot? (aka rhythm shot?)

If this is on the offensive end it seems remarkably low. Do you have access to this from previous years?  

10 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Is catch and shoot defined as receiving a pass and then taking a 2/3 pt jump shot without moving to a different spot? (aka rhythm shot?)

If this is on the offensive end it seems remarkably low. Do you have access to this from previous years?  

yes, it is only counting rhythm jump shots. Previous 2 years...

2015-2016

% Time
Poss
Rank
Rating
FGm
FGM
FGA
FG%
aFG%
%TO
%FT
%SF
%Score
Catch and Shoot 30.4% 507 500 0.986 34% Average 335 172 507 33.9% 49.3% 0% 0% 0% 33.9%
  Guarded 69.2% 351 344 0.98 49% Average 234 117 351 33.3% 49% 0% 0% 0% 33.3%
  Unguarded 30.8% 156 156 1 21% Below Average 101 55 156 35.3% 50% 0% 0% 0% 35.3%

2014-2015

% Time
Poss
Rank
Rating
FGm
FGM
FGA
FG%
aFG%
%TO
%FT
%SF
%Score
Catch and Shoot 34.8% 489 414 0.847 4% Poor 339 150 489 30.7% 42.1% 0% 0.4% 0.4% 30.7%
  Guarded 65.8% 322 263 0.817 6% Poor 226 96 322 29.8% 40.5% 0% 0.6% 0.6% 29.8%
  Unguarded 34.2% 167 151 0.904 9% Poor 113 54 167 32.3% 45.2% 0% 0% 0% 32.3%

Creighton runs ridiculously hard in transition. They then are very good at maintaining that pace and spacing into their initial actions of their motion offense. It's the key to everything they do, and must be stopped if you want to beat them. 

Both wings sprint to the corners as hard as they can. A rim running big gets his head on the rim and tries to seal for a post touch or to seal his guy out of the way for Watson or other point guards to attack the rim. If all goes well - the idea is fot Watson to never have to pass in transition until he's created havoc in a draw and kick situation, or laid it in.

If Watson doesn't get what he wants from a driving perspective, he's immediately looking to bounce back to the corner running wings and hand the ball off. They follow those hand offs with ball screens from the trailing big - or - the trailing big down screens away while the hand off is happening, creating a spacing nightmare for the defense. Often, Watson never hands it off and keeps the wing in the corner, getting a ball screen for himself.

They also work through their trailer really well. Often, they will just swing it through to him and give him a shoot/drive/draw and kick option. What they're really good at, is having that post who ran opposite in transition to the rim, seal the hell out of his guy, and receive a trailer to post high/low look. 

When their bigs receive reversal passes in transition in the half court, they are instructed to dribble hand off, or continue swinging it immediately into a ball screen. If both bigs get caught on the same side of the hoop, they do a great job of rolling and replacing on ball screens. This creates nightmares for the defense if the big who replaced on the role can shoot the 3pt shot. 

It's a motion offense with rules, basically. Guards don't ball screen, but they pass and pick away, and they can dribble hand off. 4's and 5's are constantly looking to reverse the ball and sprint hard into ball screens, or move the ball with dribble hand offs. They're instructed to roll hard, to the rim most of the time. Guys like Huff and Wegner pop on ball screens a lot. 

They don't run a ton of full sets. More quick hitters to enter the ball or to get quicker shots. But they do have some high quality sets with an outside and inside option.

Defensively, Creighton is a pack-line, gap defense. They don't like to rotate off of helps - instead they show and go back to their man. 

How you beat Creighton - either get a ton of offensive boards to make the timid running in transition - or don't offensive rebound AT ALL, and sprint your rear end back. In my opinion, you also have to switch the crap out of everything to hopefully stop them from getting driving lanes. Also, I would play behind their posts and force their bigs to beat us 1on1 - NOT helping. 2's are less than 3's. And allowing CU to string together a few possessions of 3's, especially inside out 3's, is a good way to end your night quickly. 

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Creighton runs ridiculously hard in transition. They then are very good at maintaining that pace and spacing into their initial actions of their motion offense. It's the key to everything they do, and must be stopped if you want to beat them. 

Both wings sprint to the corners as hard as they can. A rim running big gets his head on the rim and tries to seal for a post touch or to seal his guy out of the way for Watson or other point guards to attack the rim. If all goes well - the idea is fot Watson to never have to pass in transition until he's created havoc in a draw and kick situation, or laid it in.

If Watson doesn't get what he wants from a driving perspective, he's immediately looking to bounce back to the corner running wings and hand the ball off. They follow those hand offs with ball screens from the trailing big - or - the trailing big down screens away while the hand off is happening, creating a spacing nightmare for the defense. Often, Watson never hands it off and keeps the wing in the corner, getting a ball screen for himself.

They also work through their trailer really well. Often, they will just swing it through to him and give him a shoot/drive/draw and kick option. What they're really good at, is having that post who ran opposite in transition to the rim, seal the hell out of his guy, and receive a trailer to post high/low look. 

When their bigs receive reversal passes in transition in the half court, they are instructed to dribble hand off, or continue swinging it immediately into a ball screen. If both bigs get caught on the same side of the hoop, they do a great job of rolling and replacing on ball screens. This creates nightmares for the defense if the big who replaced on the role can shoot the 3pt shot. 

It's a motion offense with rules, basically. Guards don't ball screen, but they pass and pick away, and they can dribble hand off. 4's and 5's are constantly looking to reverse the ball and sprint hard into ball screens, or move the ball with dribble hand offs. They're instructed to roll hard, to the rim most of the time. Guys like Huff and Wegner pop on ball screens a lot. 

They don't run a ton of full sets. More quick hitters to enter the ball or to get quicker shots. But they do have some high quality sets with an outside and inside option.

Defensively, Creighton is a pack-line, gap defense. They don't like to rotate off of helps - instead they show and go back to their man. 

How you beat Creighton - either get a ton of offensive boards to make the timid running in transition - or don't offensive rebound AT ALL, and sprint your rear end back. In my opinion, you also have to switch the crap out of everything to hopefully stop them from getting driving lanes. Also, I would play behind their posts and force their bigs to beat us 1on1 - NOT helping. 2's are less than 3's. And allowing CU to string together a few possessions of 3's, especially inside out 3's, is a good way to end your night quickly. 

Well that's encouraging.

Just in case you're "I can't believe we didn't recruit Justin Patton" guy, a quote from Patton 

“I cannot wait for the Nebraska game. I want to beat them so bad. This is a blue state, and I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton and I’ve never really liked Nebraska. In recruiting, Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there. So I can’t wait to play ’em and show them what I’m made of. I have watched them a few times, I watched them play UCLA and they’re a good team. We can’t take anything for granted just because we have a good record coming in, we have to execute and play well. It’s going to be a fun game for our fans.”

14 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Just in case you're "I can't believe we didn't recruit Justin Patton" guy, a quote from Patton 

“I cannot wait for the Nebraska game. I want to beat them so bad. This is a blue state, and I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton and I’ve never really liked Nebraska. In recruiting, Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there. So I can’t wait to play ’em and show them what I’m made of. I have watched them a few times, I watched them play UCLA and they’re a good team. We can’t take anything for granted just because we have a good record coming in, we have to execute and play well. It’s going to be a fun game for our fans.”

Damn

17 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Unfortunately, this is the new culture that exists for local kids.  The roles have been reversed since the Nee days and kids like this lean Creighton.  It is the result of not beating them, plain and simple.  We never used to lose these types of kids pre-Collier.  Program decline is the bad gift that keeps on giving.. They've made the right coaching moves over the past 20 years, we've made the wrong ones.  Hopefully, Tim can prove me wrong, I'm doubting it.

Edited by Hoops_Legend

22 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Tai Webster says it's on:

“I’ve been waiting for them for a long time now. Ever since we lost out there and got embarrassed by them,” Nebraska’s senior guard said. "I know (our coaches) try to check us — one game at a time and whatnot — but my mind, personally, I’m thinking of Creighton. I don’t want to go out four years not beating them.” 

And this guy's from NEW ZEALAND!   ;)

1 minute ago, hal9000 said:

Tai Webster says it's on:

“I’ve been waiting for them for a long time now. Ever since we lost out there and got embarrassed by them,” Nebraska’s senior guard said. "I know (our coaches) try to check us — one game at a time and whatnot — but my mind, personally, I’m thinking of Creighton. I don’t want to go out four years not beating them.” 

And this guy's from NEW ZEALAND!   ;)

And we have guys on this board who claim that Creighton is no bigger than a B10 game!  Tai has been counting down the days to play this game.  This game is huge for the program!

2 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

And we have guys on this board who claim that Creighton is no bigger than a B10 game!  Tai has been counting down the days to play this game.  This game is huge for the program!

No one's saying it isn't a big game. A top 10 team at Pinnacle? How is that not big? Just not to the extent that Miles should lose his job over it if we lose like you've referenced in other threads.

3 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

No one's saying it isn't a big game. A top 10 team at Pinnacle? How is that not big? Just not to the extent that Miles should lose his job over it if we lose like you've referenced in other threads.

its a big game anytime we play Creighton.  Usually they aren't to 10.  It's always a game we have to win.  

Losing this year on its own isn't a black eye for Miles.  Going 0-5 is.  That should be unacceptable to you too.  Raise your expectations man!

Edited by Hoops_Legend

16 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

its a big game anytime we play Creighton.  Usually they aren't to 10.  It's always a game we have to win.  

Losing this year on its own isn't a black eye for Miles.  Going 0-5 is.  That should be unacceptable to you too.  Raise your expectations man!

Cool the lectures. 

Here is the deal.  We apparently did not go after Patton hard enough.  I remember when he signed with Creighton, there were a lot of people kind of surprised.  Some people did not think he was going to be a major college player.  Good for him that he has apparently materialized into a NBA type player. 

But I sort of like the group that we picked up in that recruiting class.  MJ, Ed, Glynn and Jack.  They have all had growing pains and bouts with inconsistency, but they were thrown to the Big Ten wolves in season one, and quite frankly, are doing quite well.  Would I like Patton today, sure.  But our group is good and could be great by the time they leave good ol UNL.

52 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Haha I get what you're saying. But this isn't Nebraska football either. I can't look at 5 championships and say this is the level I eventually want our team again. For basketball what success is there to look at and compare to within OUR program? Not Creighton's. There is none. That's why I'm very happy with the talent we've brought in and the progress I'm seeing so far from this still very young team.