WBB: Game #8 vs California

Row6Seat10

Their fast pace and length disrupted our game, resulting in a lot of steals (we got quite a few steal ourselves :)) and points in transition (whereas we had trouble capitalizing on our steals & finishing in the paint).  Anigwe was unstoppable, we just had no answer for her.  We do show lots of promise.  Nicea will be a leader for us; it was good to see so many players do well and get on the Board.

(Edit after game stats posted:  Sure nice to see Maddie have a good game - second highest team scorer with 11 pts, and the distribution of scoring .ammong all the players.)

Edited by Red Don

57 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Their fast pace and length disrupted our game, resulting in a lot of steals (we got quite a few steal ourselves :)) and points in transition (whereas we had trouble capitalizing on our steals & finishing in the paint).  Anigwe was unstoppable, we just had no answer for her.  We do show lots of promise.  Nicea will be a leader for us; it was good to see so many players do well and get on the Board..

It would have also helped had the posts played behind Anigwe, as so Anigwe couldn't take the lob pass for a layup.

The combined records of Virginia, VT, Washington St and California is 25-5.  That's tough competition.  The turnovers are killing us.  25 today which makes it hard to keep a game close.  We have showed flashes of competing with teams but no consistency.  Defensively, we are giving  up easy baskets.  The team is gritty and plays til the end.  Until we can play more consistently and put 4 quarters together it's going to be a work in progress.  Is Washington hurt?  We don't have room for injuries with a depleted roster.  Need two wins this week to get back on track.

The combined records of Virginia, VT, Washington St and California is 25-5.  That's tough competition.  The turnovers are killing us.  25 today which makes it hard to keep a game close.  We have showed flashes of competing with teams but no consistency.  Defensively, we are giving  up easy baskets.  The team is gritty and plays til the end.  Until we can play more consistently and put 4 quarters together it's going to be a work in progress.  Is Washington hurt?  We don't have room for injuries with a depleted roster.  Need two wins this week to get back on track.

She ice on her left shoulder after the game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It just looks like we're playing as if we're stuck in low gear.

Sure glad Nicea is on our team. These last two games she's played, she has really came on. For only her 8th game in division 1, one can really see how this kid keeps improving each game.

The Huskers better practice breaking the press I'm inclined to think we're going to see it every game from here on out. Or until at least we show that we can get the ball up court without too much trouble.

Coaches need to talk to Shepard about arguing with the refs every time she commits a foul. It takes her focus away from the game and it hurts the whole team as a result.

Maddie Simon came off the bench and gave us some good offensive minutes. 

Drake next Tuesday night is going to be a really tough game for the Huskers to come away with a "w"

Re Jess arguing ....   I didnt see it that way.  First, she didnt react to EVERY foul, but she did react to a few.  Second, what i saw looked more like asking for explanation rather than starting an argument.  After she got a response from the ref - or no response - she got right back into game mode.  

I sure agree with Maddie making a big contribution in the second half.  After noting that she hadn't played many minutes recently, i was encouraged that she played a lot and played so well.  

Are either of the transfers that will be eligible next year good ball handlers?  We really looked like a middle school team trying to get the ball up the court on the press.  And even if we did manage to get it across half court, we oftentimes would still turn it over with a really ill advised pass (sort of the panic mode pass).  It's just shocking to me to see a Husker team struggle so much against the press.

I gave Jess a pass last season coming off the ACL injury and not being conditioned for the season.  But to me she just doesn't look any more conditioned this season and seems very slow about getting down the court and in position to not have to foul on defense. 

Nicea and Maddie have some athleticism that can be useful to us - just need to finish better around the rim.  Might be a confidence thing with Maddie right now.  She seemed much better in the second half compared to the first.  Nicea was good the whole game.

I expected to see more from Jess, Allie, and Cinco.

as far as DW, during the radio broadcast, i thought i heard jeff say she had injured the shoulder during recent practices. if she couldn't even get back up the court, probably not good news----at least for the short term. have to wait and see if coach makes comment on the injury. 

hopefully, simon keeps making progress. i know it's still fairly early, but, i was disappointed in her play so far.

a little surprised hannah whitish isn't getting more minutes--------maybe it's the sr----fr thing. i don't know. i am sure er has put in a lot of hard work over her time at nu, but, i would like hannah to get more minutes. just my thinking, i guess.

nicea is going to have a nice career as a husker!!!

i think coach williams is too good of a coach------she will not let this team quit. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

15 hours ago, caveman said:

We played well just could not match their speed.  I do think we shot too quickly.  We needed to slow the game down and be deliberate with our passing.

Been saying for years we needed more quickness.  Coach may be gray by the end of this year.  Going to be a lot of growing pains.

Responding to several of the above posts:

Cal was very very quick, and very aggressive defensively and with the ball to......and fouled a lot that wasn't apparently seen by the refs. They were able to get away with lots of stuff. It was one of those games where you wonder if it was beneficial to play. When you get beat down, it's tough to keep the head up.

We were doing a little better driving in to the lane to shoot, and driving to the basket.

We just aren't "equipped" at this point, to handle all of the things thrown at us. There is just so much to learn, so we're having trouble keeping up, let alone get our own schemes in place.

The last foul called on Jess was very very weak (very bad call), and at least one other earlier in the game. I would have reacted too.  I'm sure Jess was frustrated, she was getting hacked constantly, and blocked a few times too. Her conditioning could be better. On the one hand the weight is beneficial banging inside the lane, but can be a factor with speed. Jess could not even slow down the inlet passes. May have been her toughest game yet.

Leaving her alone to guard the post(s) was asking a lot, maybe to much. We made a defensive mistake scheme wise, in no help for Jess...in the lane.

Maddie seems to play better in a game that's in full speed freestyle mode...rather than a "structured mode". That may change as she gets more accustomed to Coach Williams schemes. Cincore is a bit that way too. They both need to get a handle on cutting down turnovers.

Nicea is an awesome freshman ! And the other freshman are getting even better and more comfortable on the floor. Actually I'm glad they are playing a lot. It WILL pay off.

The two guards red shirting now, and Rachael back, plus a years experience of our current freshman will make us a different team...next year.

Now we just do the best we can, and as I said, keep their (and us) heads ups, and encourage the girls as loudly as possible.

Edited by redsteve

I was at the game and very disappointed in the referees.  Many times the Cal coach would talk to one of them and shortly thereafter something would be called on us.  That being said we are going to suffer greatly when games get physical and Ref's let them play.  We are in desperate need of a good or great ball handling point guard.  We have been very spoiled in the last 7 years with Moore and Theriot.

The biggest disappointment to me is when we have players trying to do too much and routinely attempting those things that they are not good at.

@Huskercode, I've watched a few practices and Bria is actually a really good ball handler. Small very quick guard. Similar to Mi'cole last night. So she'll definitely help...I agree with almost all of what you guys have said. Though I refrain from posting my own opinions since Nicea is my daughter. One thing I do appreciate is that even when there's criticism of the girls it's not coming from a negative place, it's said in a constructive manor..although I will say free throws and turnovers are our biggest weaknesses right now. Playing against such good teams you've got to play your best ball, so capitalizing on every opportunity (FT's) and not giving the opposition points (T.O.'s) are a must to even be in those games. Appreciate all the fan support though Win or Lose!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This team would have been better served playing a easier pre season.  However didn't happen and they are taking their lumps.  Dad tell Nicea and the girls to keep plugging away we know it will be there soon enough.  Then it will be extra nice for all of us.:)

P.S. Love your girl's game by the way. 

Either Matt or Jeff on the radio made an interesting observation,  All of the fouls called on Jess were made by the same official (and I think he said the same occurred in last years game where Jess also fouled-out).  :ph34r:

Looking over the game stats, they seem to have left out one stat line (for cal at least), that is TFL (tackle for loss): but I guess they weren't calling those.