Our Starting Lineup 4 weeks from now

Hoops_Legend

39 minutes ago, bball23 said:

We lost to them last year and they were an NIT team and yet we went on to beat Wisconsin a much, much better team. The point being 1 game doesn't make or break a season. 

Comprehende? 

(You can respond after getting home from the Century Link after CU beats Buffalo)

I think you missed my direct quote of it being a bigger picture than an individual game.  Re-read.  

You also failed to answer my posed question.  

Edited by Hoops_Legend

On 11/28/2016 at 5:56 PM, Hoops_Legend said:

Predict our starting 5:

Watson

Webster

Morrow

Roby

Jordy

Roby might get there one day but the only two guys in this lineup with reliable jump shots more than 10 feet away from the basket are Watson and Webster, both of whom are arguably more effective when driving to the rim. Couldn't the other team just put everyone inside the 3pt line and call it a day? 

12 hours ago, Hooper said:

Jack is playing incredibly poorly right now. It's getting to the point where he either needs to improve or sit. His confidence seems to be lacking as well.

Jack's Sophomore year is starting off strikingly similar to Tai's.  Low confidence, passing up open looks, missing them when he takes them.  It's all in his head right now.  He will overcome.

But, without any better option to replace him, he's gonna have to play through it.  Just like Tai did.

On December 1, 2016 at 9:28 AM, 49r said:

Jack's Sophomore year is starting off strikingly similar to Tai's.  Low confidence, passing up open looks, missing them when he takes them.  It's all in his head right now.  He will overcome.

But, without any better option to replace him, he's gonna have to play through it.  Just like Tai did.

I'd agree if we didn't have a better option, but we do, and more than 1.  Keep in mind that one or two buckets will be the difference in some games.  Can't afford to leave 4 points on the bench even if they are Freshmen.  Time to move on.  In business we call it sunk cost and opportunity cost.

22 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

I'd agree if we didn't have a better option, but we do, and more than 1.  Keep in mind that one or two buckets will be the difference in some games.  Can't afford to leave 4 points on the bench even if they are Freshmen.  Time to move on.  In business we call it sunk cost and opportunity cost.

I don't have the answer, but you do have to look at it more holistically. Just because somebody can score more than someone else doesn't mean they give up more points on defense. Hypothetically, I'd take somebody who scores zero points but prevents 6 points on defense than someone who scores 6 points but gives up 6 points on defense.

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I don't have the answer, but you do have to look at it more holistically. Just because somebody can score more than someone else doesn't mean they give up more points on defense. Hypothetically, I'd take somebody who scores zero points but prevents 6 points on defense than someone who scores 6 points but gives up 6 points on defense.

So, you're saying that McVeigh is playing the minutes that he's getting because he's a really good defender?

5 hours ago, 49r said:

Clearly you don't fully understand the meaning of opportunity cost @Hoops_Legend, at least as it applies in the basketball realm and specifically how it applies in this situation.

I doubt your business acumen as well.

Can you provide an explanation of how I am misusing the term opportunity cost when the option of playing McVeigh leaves points off the board while a better player scored none on the bench?

or, perhaps how I misuse the term sunk cost when I am telling us to cut off the playing time and move on without McVeigh?  Thus, leaving the investment behind due to poor misjudgement of his ability?

i think my business acumen has treated me quite well.

If we use that logic...

Tai Webster shouldn't have played more than 5-6 games his sophomore year... probably would have left... and we wouldn't have had him.

Shavon Shields really struggled to start off his SO year as well if I recall?  Should have left his butt on the bench too?

Point is these are the guys we got.  Like it or not, these guys CHOSE to be HUSKERS.  If the coaching staff thinks McVeigh is the best option... then unless your last name is Miles and your first name is Tim... I'm going to lean the other way.

All I need to do is see SO Tai Vs. SR Tai to know that.

Let's assume no upsets and we're staring at 5 losses in non con.

Predict our starting 5:

Watson

Webster

Morrow

Roby

Jordy

Bench minutes:

Jacobsen

Horne

Taylor (very low minutes)

If injury or garbage time:

Fuller

McVeigh

Gill

Walk ons

Jordy has a LONG way to go before I'd even consider putting him in the starting lineup.  I could see Roby taking McVeigh's spot at some point, but Roby also needs more time.

IMO, to say McVeigh and Gill only play due to injuries or garbage time is laughable.  Also, Taylor has done some good things, so I think he gets decent minutes.

4 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

Jordy has a LONG way to go before I'd even consider putting him in the starting lineup.

I think that's the struggle. We are expecting and need him to play some strong minutes, but we're not quite getting that out of him. He kind of reminds me of an Almeida at this point where we need his size but he's such a wildcard on both ends of the court.

I would say the same about Taylor, where he's still young and needs to improve so much to start creating some valuable minutes for the team.

Let's assume no upsets and we're staring at 5 losses in non con.

Predict our starting 5:

Watson

Webster

Morrow

Roby

Jordy

Bench minutes:

Jacobsen

Horne

Taylor (very low minutes)

If injury or garbage time:

Fuller

McVeigh

Gill

Walk ons

Wow! That lineup is like throwing darts.