What are we making from this weekend?

uneblinstu

NU played 6 halves of basketball this weekend. Four were good to very good. One was average. One was bad.

This all netted one win and two losses.

They had a mixed bag in terms of play from a variety of guys.

Many want the kids to play more, and they might be right.

Some, after just six games, want Jack and Anton kicked to the curb.

Some want to let those two to play through the valley.

There's a tough stretch of games the next couple of weeks.

Edited by uneblinstu

some people wanted to kick Ubel to the curb, some people wanted to kick Tai to the curb and some people can't rise above the 5th grade girls level in the coaching ranks.

I think it's pretty much a microcosm of what we're going to see all year. Some games they'll come out like gangbusters, others they might not be able to hit they're butts with both hands. That's what you get when you almost exclusively play freshmen and sophomores. Unless you're like Duke or Kentucky and all you're freshmen and sophomores should be playing in the NBA anyway. 

My 'Noob' take (laugh if you want, but I'll never have the BB knowledge of most of you),  Dayton game showed that we Can play at a high level (even though we almost gave that one away through inexperience).  UCLA & VA Tech also showed we could play at a high level, but energy was lacking near the end of UCLA; and the entire 2nd Half of VA Tech  (you could almost feel the energy depletion - even listening to Kent there seemed to be a noticeable (to me) decrease in the level of emotion during the 2nd half of the UCLA game; even when the Huskers made a basket - instead of a 'Got It' or 'Score'  it seemed to become more 'score' or 'tipped-it-in,' carrying over to the VA Tech game).   It seemed to me a common characteristic of both the UCLA & VA Tech games was that our shots were falling short.

I remember hearing one of Mile's comments in a prior season;  "The team needs to learn How to Win"  or, needs to "realize what it takes to be Tournament worthy."  Think about it, the only Senior Leadership on the team right now is Tai!

You're right, the upcoming schedule is brutal, playing several of the Best; it will tell us a lot about the 'upside' of this team. 

I'm eager to see how they respond in the Clemson game after they have had some time to recuperate.

I am taking away that we have some talent on this roster, could be scary good talent in a couple years IF everyone sticks around.

It was clear at times that the freshman were swimming at this level which was true of the 4 sophs last year.

Morrow is going to be a beast, oh for one last growth spurt

Watson is quick, cat quick

We still need a guy or two that can knock down the open outside shot.  That really was the difference in the UCLA game, they made the open looks all night, we did not.

Tai seems to embraced the role as the leader of this team.

Did I mention Watson is really quick?

We ran out of gas by game three.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

NU played 6 halves of basketball this weekend. Four were good to very good. One was average. One was bad.

This all netted one win and two losses.

They had a mixed bag in terms of play from a variety of guys.

Many want the kids to play more, and they might be right.

Some, after just six games, want Jack and Anton kicked to the curb.

Some want to let those two to play through the valley.

There's a tough stretch of games the next couple of weeks.

I think Jack and Anton will play a crucial role for this team by the end of the year.  And who would be taking their minutes anyways? It's not like we are very deep at the moment.   Both at times have looked like they have the goods, other times not so much.  It's early in the season.  We went 1-2 this weekend and there were a lot of positives and some coachable moments.

Anton and Jack both have a role on this team.  It is to hit open shots outside to open up the driving lanes for Watson and Webster.  I didn't catch the name of the freshmen that Miles was talking about at the end of his postgame.  He said something to the effect that they kept making the same mistakes, so he had to sit them on the bench.  I think you have to be delicate with that.  You don't want these freshmen to play worrying that their minutes are going to be limited if they make a mistake or two.  On the other hand, you can't play them if they keep making mistakes. 

This team has a collection of talent we have not seen in some time on the basketball court.  We are going to have a stretch of games where everybody shoots poorly, and we are going to have a stretch of games where everyone can't miss.  A few injuries to Anton, Roby, and Jordy really hurt their development.  It will take those guys a little longer to get up to doing what coach Miles wants. 

Nothing, really. We're a young team trying to find it's primary rotation for a difficult learning season.

There's nothing to do but let this extended audition to occur and hope that a couple of the young 'ens click and are able to get solid, reasonably consistent productivity out of their minutes.

We've got 3 players I'm comfortable with right now. But there's more than enough talent to add 3 or 4 more to that mix this season, so we'll just how it goes.

Tourneys on the road are awful places to make long term judgments about anything.

2 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

And some of us just plain expect to win against good not great teams.

"Next year" is getting old again.

Hard to believe that Miles had failed to recruit a true 3 point shooter on this roster.

it's fine to have that expectation, and to be disappointed, and then to grouse unhappily. that's the fun part of being a fan. You can be as reasonable or unreasonable as you wish.

Two years ago we were grousing about the lack of big men and a front court. that's been pretty seriously addressed. Can he get one break? White was supposed to be on the team this season. he quit late in the process. No coach can control that. No doubt his loss is going to hurt from outside, but hopefully someone else steps up.

I mean, almost no one familiar with the NU situation seriously though this wasn't a full blown rebuild and that it might take as long as 7 years. I expected a 7 year project, at least. And Miles is still in it with this cohort.

What I have learned:

- We have a young team with a lot of talent.  They simply need the light to come on.

- A few of our players are pressing big time. 

- We have a few a**h***e "fans who believe they know the game, what they share what they think they know, it tells many that they really don't know crap. 

- We need to grow up quickly.  I am frustrated that we are within reach, but that can oftentimes be the hardest place to be for long suffering fans. 

- The Cubs won the World Series this year.  I am here to tell you, when frustration turns to success, the feeling is indescribable. 

I would call it average. I thought they played pretty good defense and struggled offensively.

Whenever we struggle offensively but are winning my wife always ask why I am upset. The sentiment of my response is always the same "because eventually they will figure out how to score (or their shots will start falling) and we didn't take advantage.

It seems like as a Nebraska fan our shots never start falling.

11 hours ago, huskercwg said:

What I have learned:

- We have a young team with a lot of talent.  They simply need the light to come on.

- A few of our players are pressing big time. 

- We have a few a**h***e "fans who believe they know the game, what they share what they think they know, it tells many that they really don't know crap. 

- We need to grow up quickly.  I am frustrated that we are within reach, but that can oftentimes be the hardest place to be for long suffering fans. 

- The Cubs won the World Series this year.  I am here to tell you, when frustration turns to success, the feeling is indescribable. 

Do you know how hard it was to not give you a down arrow for that Cubs comment???? :)

4 hours ago, colhusker said:

Do you know how hard it was to not give you a down arrow for that Cubs comment???? :)

But, you have to consider the context :)  I wasn't necessarily gloating over the fact that my Cubbies won the World Series.  It is when frustration turns to success it is EUPHORIC!  I am attempting to draw the comparison to what it will feel like when the HUSKERS move to that same level.  Did I mention the CUBS won the flippin WORLD SERIES!

Edited by huskercwg