uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 6 - Virginia Tech

uneblinstu

12 hours ago, mwash95 said:

I thought MJ really had some awful shot selection. He was taking too many 3's and off balance long 2's. At one point he caught the ball at the 3 point line following a press break and he immediately shot up a brick from 3 rather than taking it to the rim. i believe it was 2 on 1 with morrow down by the hoop.

Times have changed; shooting threes in transition is common place now and most teams even practice this.

9 minutes ago, King James said:

Times have changed; shooting threes in transition is common place now and most teams even practice this.

His point might be more along the lines of, let's have someone else shoot transition threes other than Jacobson, who shot 18.8% from behind the arc last year and is 0-7 this year for an ugly 13.0% mark in his career.

BTW in case people weren't familiar Wes Eikmeier is a former Fremont standout who initially started at Iowa State (looks like he was recruited by McDermott) and then ended up transferring to Colorado St to play under Tim Miles before ending up here as a graduate assistant after a couple of years overseas playing ball and a short stint in the insurance industry.

20 hours ago, atskooc said:

I thought that he meant that Jake should have taken a step or two in before shooting.

edit: I remember it being Jake, not Jack.  Not that it really matters.

You are correct.  He was talking about Jacobson.  And his point was that, when Jacobson took that deep shot, there was no one near him and he could have taken a few steps closer to the basket, had a much higher percentage shot, and still have had enough space to get the shot off.  If you're that open, take a few steps closer to improve your chances of making the shot.  That's what the announcer was saying.

• 1 month later...