uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 5 - UCLA

uneblinstu

Not gonna put a ton of thoughts out there right now. NU did a lot of things right tonight but weren't quite good enough to get it done. Some mental errors and the inability to finish at the rim is gonna have to be something they have to get figured out. Still a few too many mental errors, too.

Glynn continues to be a stud.

Morrow had another big day.

Webster, too.

Those three are the core.

Jack and Gill were basically non-factors.

Thought Jordy, Roby and Horne had some nice moments even if it didn't necessarily turn into points.

Loved the fight they showed on both ends. I hope they can bring that back with them on Sunday and get two wins out of this deal. That would be a really good thing.

Zone defense really slowed us down.  Some positives to take from the game.  Defense was decent against what appears to be good offensive team, I would not say the Bruins are a very good defensive team.  Va Tech will be much better in man and we may not get the penetration that was available tonight.  The Sunday game may tell us more than tonight's contest.  There is reason for some optimism.

it was a good basketball. gave a legit sweet 16 team all it could handle on a virtual home court, with a really young squad, and largely kept our heads until the end. Our athleticism matched UCLAs and the difference, to me, was they just have better and more shooters.

Like everyone else already noted, we've got to get more than just 3 players carrying this team if we want to exceed expectations for this season.

2 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Watson, Morrow and Webster: 22 of 40 from the field.

Rest of team: 7 of 35.

Post-game Coach Mo: "We gotta get Roby and Jeriah going, get them in there more. They're long and athletic and they can score."

Wow. 20% for anyone not in the 'big 3' of Nebrasketball. Not going to get it done against great competition with that recipe.

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

Wow. 20% for anyone not in the 'big 3' of Nebrasketball. Not going to get it done against great competition with that recipe.

Especially when you consider that it seemed EVERYBODY for UCLA could stroke a 15-footer. And, trust me, it's frustrating when you can't stroke it.

Edited by jayschool

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

UCLA is a strong contender for the Pac 12 title.  That was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a bad effort by our very young squad in a virtual road game.  Play like we have in the last two games on Sunday and we get that dub against the Hokies.

truth. this could be a wildly successful tourney if they can upset Tech, too. And we know they can probably play with them.

So far, I'm happy with this trip. We've acquitted ourselves very well.

I think something that's being missed is how well we matched everything Ucla gave in this game. Our goal isn't going to be to win every game the rest of the season but the ability to stay in the game (no matter who was carrying us) means that we can pull out a lot of the B1G wins that you kick yourself over at the end of the year of you don't get.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

gill and mcveigh went 1-18. not much else really needs to be said. everyone else played well enough to win that game.

53% from the free throw line didn't help either.

That.

40% shooting from those two and 65% from the line (not asking for the moon) and we at the very least are in It the last minute.  and if I'm honest I think we win.

We are young.   I still think gill and Jack will have as many good games as bad and I will believe that until proven wrong.  

I hate "good losses".  but we played a really good team hard in a virtual road game.  take it and let's go beat va tech.

Gotta be proud of the Huskers for hanging in there on this one. They are learning as they go . . . and this game is a significant step.
For example, our half-time deficit last night is 13-or-so. A reporter grabs the UCLA coach on his way to the half-time locker. The coach says they want to speed the game up and says, if UCLA can push the lead to 17, the Huskers will have to speed up -- which will help UCLA. Right after half-time the lead moves to 15, at which time the Huskers start attacking in the paint. Then the Huskers start dominating--on both ends of the court. Next thing we know, it's a two-point game, and UCLA goes to a zone. The zone slows us up enough for UCLA to survive.
After the game, Coach Molinari says we'll be seeing more of Jeriah and Isaiah because of their scoring abilities.

The good news: we forced UCLA to go to a zone. The bad news: UCLA went to a zone. I'm afraid we might see a lot of zones this year until we find a couple of zone busters. I thought their size and length hurt us in the first half. The zone and their ability to knock down shots hurt us in the second half. Even with those things in play we stayed right with a good team on the road which is a very good sign.

Gotta be proud of the Huskers for hanging in there on this one. They are learning as they go . . . and this game is a significant step.
For example, our half-time deficit last night is 13-or-so. A reporter grabs the UCLA coach on his way to the half-time locker. The coach says they want to speed the game up and says, if UCLA can push the lead to 17, the Huskers will have to speed up -- which will help UCLA. Right after half-time the lead moves to 15, at which time the Huskers start attacking in the paint. Then the Huskers start dominating--on both ends of the court. Next thing we know, it's a two-point game, and UCLA goes to a zone. The zone slows us up enough for UCLA to survive.
After the game, Coach Molinari says we'll be seeing more of Jeriah and Isaiah because of their scoring abilities.

Where do you find post-game press conferences for this tournament??
I've been trying all over

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Yeah, I mentioned that in the Game Thread: The part about Alford's halftime interview being somewhat ironic in how UCLA actually were the ones who slowed down NU with the zone.

NU has to find a way to have a corner three-ball sharpshooter. Maybe it's McTrey, Gill, Horne, Roby, or MJ.  Somebody has to step into that role!

I thought the team played really well except for about 5 minutes at the end of the 1st half when the UCLA lead stretched to 13. That was a really good team we played in UCLA that can really shoot. And we won the 2nd half.

Besides our "Big 3" I was left with the impressions that...

Jordy S played decently for a raw post player. As he develops we are going to be very glad he is on our side.

Horne and Roby are SO CLOSE! When they adjust to playing at this level, they are going to be very good.

Jack McV looked really uncomfortable last night. He was pressing too hard. It looked like he was trying to push his shot toward the goal instead of just stroking it like he can.

What is up with Gill? Is he still fighting an injury? When they went zone on us that should have been his time to shine.