uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 4 - Dayton

uneblinstu

- Great, great start for NU, 17-5, I think.

- Energy and execution waned after the front line came out.

- Gill ran the point a bit there. Might be a decent way to him going a bit.

- Thought Watson tried to do too much a bit when the second line was in. Forced a couple bad shots.

- Huskers owned the paint. Guess I didn't expect that. I like it, though.

- Jordy had a couple chances to secure some loose balls and couldn't do it. Helped fuel the Dayton run a bit.

- Really good on the boards.

- Gill heating up! 8 points in the first half!

- Seems like for as much as NU drives the ball, seems like they should draw more fouls than they do. That seems to happen a lot for NU teams. Is there something they're not doing to draw fouls?

- Big finish for NU to the half, capped with a big 3 from McVeigh.

- I agree with whomever it was on the call, that Watson needs to do a better job of getting to the line. That's how he takes his game to the next level, which is already pretty high.

- 2 turnovers on inbound plays.

- NU did a nice job keeping Dayton at arms length most of the 2nd half.

- Dayton missed two free throws that Dayton got offensive boards on. Flyers got points on both: a 3 and a tip in.

- Watson is a gamer.

- NU did a bunch of things to try and let Dayton back in the game, but also made some big plays down the stretch.

- Morrow got a lot of love for his play tonight. Deservedly so. Big time game for the sophomore. Love watching him play right now.

- Really, really rough stretch at the end by McVeigh to give Dayton the lead. That game was more stressful than it needed to be.

- That was a big win for a number of reasons. Won it with your senior leader on the bench in the final seconds, beat a pretty solid team. Get a shot at a blue blood tomorrow.

Edited by uneblinstu

i'll defer to people who watched this on tv, but I have no idea why we were trying to get the ball into mcveigh at all under pressure, unless there were absolutely no other options.

that was a nuclear cluster for about 45 seconds there. and I feel for him, because it was probably not a situation he should've been in.

lots of great things though.

a couple of coming out parties for ed and anton. to get scoring from those two is a huge deal.

It's a wonderful thing when you have some glaring mistakes made the last 5 min with a young team like ours, yet walk off with a win against a very respectable team.

Did anyone else think that Jacobson couldn't catch a break with the refs?  There were two times where he got pushed out of position on rebounds, and another time where he was held going after a loose ball.  But no calls.

4 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Nice win.  Good confidence builder to hang on to what could have been a devastating loss.  Lack of defensive boards and sloppiness against the press were nearly fatal.  Great to get a shot at the Bruins.  Can anyone remember the last time NU played UCLA?

1985 NIT.  We lost by about 20 against a Walt Hazzard coached team that - if I am not mistaken - featured Reggie Miller.

4-0

Played like a top tier team early.

Played like a young team late 1st half.

Played like a top tier team start of 2nd.

Played like a young team middle of second.

Played like a bottom tier team last 4 Mins.

Won the game, got a resume building win, get a shot at UCLA, all games on ESPN.

Overall, about what was expected minus the end and possibly the result.

4-0

Player of the game: Ed Morrow. His double-double is proof enough just how valuable he was. 

Runner-up: Anton Gill. Came off the bench and effeciently got 10 points which turned out to be huge. I know he struggled at times defensively, but I think this is the game that gets him in a groove. Watch out for him to keep us in the game tomorrow with his shooting ability 

Webster and Watson did what they do and were really impressive tonight too

Whew.  Whew.  Nice win against a good team.  Whew.

- Tai has really stepped up his game.  Man, he played an all around game tonight.

- Ed is a flippin man.  He keeps getting better each time out.

- MJ is MJ.  Steady and did a lot that won't make it in the books.

- Glynn played an exceptional game as well.  When they took a brief lead at the end, who wanted the ball and made it happen?  Glynn!

- Glad Anton finally stepped up tonight.  His defense is...umm...average, but he hit some big shots.

- In his brief appearance Jordy did a couple of nice things, but as we all know, he is a work in progress.

- Roby did a couple of good things, and man, he is an eraser around the paint.

- Jack, will Jack had a smelly night.  Need more out of him, I was hoping that the inconsistency was a thing of the past...but it is still with us.  He needs to remove this game from his memory asap.

I was surprised that we got out early and stayed up on Dayton as long as we did.  We answered every run they had.  But for the last two or three minutes, that is how we need to play each and every time out.

5 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Nice win.  Good confidence builder to hang on to what could have been a devastating loss.  Lack of defensive boards and sloppiness against the press were nearly fatal.  Great to get a shot at the Bruins.  Can anyone remember the last time NU played UCLA?

looks like 1985 as far as I could see. NIT loss.

5 minutes ago, tcp said:

i'll defer to people who watched this on tv, but I have no idea why we were trying to get the ball into mcveigh at all under pressure, unless there were absolutely no other options.

that was a nuclear cluster for about 45 seconds there. and I feel for him, because it was probably not a situation he should've been in.

a couple of coming out parties for ed and anton. to get scoring from those two is a huge deal.

Jack is one of our better free throw shooters.  I believe he was placed in the position so that if a foul was given, he would be one of our preferred free throw shooters.  It should not be expected that he would melt down handling the ball. 

1 minute ago, trickey said:

I have been accused of wearing red colored glasses often. Help me out here. It seemed to me tat things on drives were called differently on opposite ends of the floor. Am I blind or right?

I didn't think he got a couple of contact calls.  Yet overall, the refs seemed fair and reasonable.  Obviously, as a fan of the Huskers, I thought they blew a couple of calls; but again overall, I thought they called a pretty decent game.

2 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I didn't think he got a couple of contact calls.  Yet overall, the refs seemed fair and reasonable.  Obviously, as a fan of the Huskers, I thought they blew a couple of calls; but again overall, I thought they called a pretty decent game.

The refs weren't as one-sided as the announcers, that is for sure.

8 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Jack is one of our better free throw shooters.  I believe he was placed in the position so that if a foul was given, he would be one of our preferred free throw shooters.  It should not be expected that he would melt down handling the ball. 

Agree on the first part - but if you did not expect him to melt down handling the ball under pressure you haven't watched him much to this point.  Jack does some things well -but having the ball in his hands in the back court is definitely not one of them.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

I just hope Dayton isn't our Oregon of the basketball season.

You mean the game where the players had to work hard vs. a talented team and spring board them to solid season? This win was good for this team, regardless of what Dayton does from here on out. They get a chance at two more quality opponents and had to fight through some adversity to get there.

12 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I agree, the referring was very fair.  We got a couple of pretty iffy calls to go our way too.  They also could have easy called Ed for a couple of goaltends too so I'm not unhappy.  It ended up making the difference in the outcome of the game.

3 minutes ago, jayschool said:

The Oregon of the basketball season? You mean after that game we go 6-2. I'll take it.

3 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

You mean the game where the players had to work hard vs. a talented team and spring board them to solid season? This win was good for this team, regardless of what Dayton does from here on out. They get a chance at two more quality opponents and had to fight through some adversity to get there.

Excellent points.  Either way, a very good win for the team in white tonight.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

I agree, the referring was very fair.  We got a couple of pretty iffy calls to go our way too.  They also could have easy called Ed for a couple of goaltends too so I'm not unhappy.  It ended up making the difference in the outcome of the game.

OK, you 2 convinced me.

Can you recommend a good red glasses remover?

Good game...have to say that the only part of the whole thing that bothered me had zero to do with the game.  Maybe it's just me but those announcers were annoying.  I almost shut the sound off.  When they got into a little banter about the first tie of the game and one announcer made the comment about it being the second as they were tied at zero and the other seemed annoyed by that comment.  These guys belong on ESPNU.

40 minutes ago, tcp said:

I think  I would rather have Roby in the game instead of McVeigh in that situation for his quickness and ball handling. McVeigh is in for his FT shooting I guess. Roby did replace him after the two turnovers.

Should have read the entire thread as others made this point.

Edited by BugeaterZ
Redundant post