WBB: Game #4 vs Omaha

Row6Seat10

2016.11.22-Womens-Event-a7f3a6bbf5.jpg

Tuesday, Nov. 22, 7 p.m.
Pinnacle Bank Arena

Live Radio: Husker Sports Network; (pbp Matt Coatney, Color Jeff Griesch)
KRNU 90.1 FM - UNL; KBBK 107.3 FM - Lincoln; KKCD 105.9 FM - Omaha; KRGI 1430 AM - Grand Island;

KHAS 1230 AM - Hastings; KGFW 1340 AM - Kearney; KAMI 1580/100.1 AM/FM - Cozad; KZMC 102.1 FM - McCook;

KNCY 1600/105.5 AM/FM - Nebraska City; KHAQ 98.5 FM - North Platte; KNEB 94.1 FM - Scottsbluff; KHUB 1340 AM - Fremont
Free Live Audio: Huskers.com/Huskers App
Live Video Stream: BTN Plus

EEEOIHGBZLENKLQ.20161118031729.JPG

Huskers Shoot for Third Win Against Mavs

The Nebraska women’s basketball team (2-1) closes its four-game season-opening home stand by playing host to Omaha (1-2) on Tuesday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln.
Tip-off between the Huskers and Mavericks is set for 7 p.m.,

The Huskers head into the in-state showdown with the Mavs after battling to a 62-59 win over defending Mountain West Conference champion Colorado State in their final game of the 2016 Preseason WNIT on Nov. 17. All-Big Ten sophomore forward Jessica Shepard led the Big Red with 24 points, including the game-clinching three-pointer with a minute left. Shepard added 13 rebounds for her 12th career double-double to move her into the No. 12 spot on Nebraska’s career list.

Freshmen Nicea Eliely and Hannah Whitish also played major roles for the Huskers in the win over the Rams. Whitish, a 5-9 guard from Barneveld, Wis., produced the first double-figure scoring effort of her career with 10 points on a career-high three three-pointers.

Eliely, a 6-1 guard from Colorado Springs who has started the first three games for the Huskers, produced six points, six rebounds, six assists and three steals while helping to frustrate and foul out CSU’s reigning Mountain West Player of the Year Ellen Nystrom.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

32 - Jessica Shepard - 6-4 - So.
22 - Allie Havers - 6-5 - Sr. - C
5 - Nicea Eliely - 6-1 - Fr. - G
11 - Esther Ramacieri - 5-8 - Sr. - G
34 - Jasmine Cincore - 5-10 - Jr. - G

Omaha Mavericks

22 - Mikaela Shaw - 6-0 - Sr.- G
44 - Michaela Dapprich - 5-10 - RSr. - G/F
10 - Courtney Vaccher - 6-2 - So. - C
5 - Amber Vidal - 5-10 - Jr. - G
33 - Remy Davenport - 5-8 - Jr. - G

Scouting Omaha
Omaha comes to Lincoln for the first time since November of 2010 to take on the Huskers in women’s basketball. The Mavs, under the direction of fourth-year head coach Brittany Lange, have battled to a 1-2 start that includes a 69-42 season-opening loss at Colorado State in the opening round of the Preseason WNIT on Nov. 11, and a 73-63 loss at defending Southland champ Abilene Christian on Friday. The Mavs got on the winning track with an 85-57 win over North Texas to close their WNIT trip on Saturday.

All-Summit League forward Mikaela Shaw leads the Mavs with 14.0 points, 8.3 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game. She went 10-for-17 from the field in Texas over the weekend, after opening 5-for-17 in the loss to CSU. As a team, Omaha hit just 15-of-47 field goals, including just 3-of-14 threes in the loss to Colorado State. The Mavs were also outrebounded 39-29 by the Rams and lost the turnover battle 16-9.

Shaw, a 6-0 senior forward out of Sandy Creek High School (Deweese, Neb.), averaged 18.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game last year for Omaha. She is one of four returning starters for the Mavs this season, joining 5-8 junior guard Remy Davenport (10.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2015-16), 5-6 sophomore guard Amber Vidal (5.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2015-16) and 5-11 senior guard Abi Lujan (4.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2015-16).

Dapprich was an honorable-mention All-Missouri Valley Conference selection as a junior at Wichita State in 2014-15. Another Division I transfer, sophomore Coutney Vaccher rounds out Omaha’s probable starting five. The 6-2 center from Yorba Linda, Calif., by way of Texas Tech, is averaging 6.0 points and ranks second on the team with 7.3 rebounds per game. She also leads Omaha with five steals.

Last season, Omaha battled its way to a 15-15 overall record that included a 7-9 Summit League mark. The Mavs averaged 63.7 points per game while hitting 41.8 percent of their shots from the field including 32.7 percent of their three-pointers. They were also a solid free throw shooting team at 72.2 percent. However, the Mavs were outrebounded 37.1-35.7 per game a year ago, while suffering with a minus-3.47 team turnover margin. Omaha forced an average of just 11.5 turnovers per game in 2015-16.

Jessica Shepard produced her 12th career double-double with 24 points and 13 rebounds in Nebraska’s win over Colorado State Nov. 17. It was her second double-double in three games

Shepard leads Nebraska in three-point field goals made (5) and three-point field goal percentage (.556),

Hannah Whitish produced her first career double-digit scoring performance with 10 points and a career-high three three-pointers off the bench in Nebraska’s 62-59 win over Colorado State

Nebraska freshman Nicea Eliely ranks second on the team in scoring (7.7 ppg), third in rebounding (5.3 rpg), first in assists (4.0 apg) and first in steals (1.7 spg) through the first three games of her collegiate career.

Nebraska will meet Omaha for the first time since running to an 80-44 win on Nov. 26, 2010. It will be just the second regular-season meeting between the Huskers and Mavericks since UNO posted a 76-74 win over NU in Omaha on Dec. 20, 1986. Nebraska leads the all-time series with Omaha, 15-9.

BEAT THE MAVERICKS!!
csul5b22nebr_(1500)_blk__.jpg
Edited by Row6Seat10
adding radio stations

Nicea, Hannah, and Riley should start, with Jess and Allie.

Allie was about the only one rebounding (11 rebounds)...we as a team just don't hit the boards. She played about the whole game and she was worn out at the end. Where are you Burns ? :)   Jess was pretty much out of sync all night.

I thought we were going to run a motion offense..no ?....it looked like a no motion offense. Zone defenses just kill our game. 

Free throw shooting.....geeze!! The three shooting is coming around, and the freshman shot well overall.

Omaha was impressive considering how and when the team was put together, and has new very young coach. They played pretty good team ball.

Our girls get better every week...especially the freshman. On to the next one.

Edited by redsteve

Good effort by the Mavs.  We were down double-digits at the end of the first quarter.  Lady Huskers did a good job of coming back and finishing strong in the final 3 minutes.

Scoring: 

Seems like we are a 3-pt team. Twelve of 31 treys (38.7% - 36 pts), 8 of 25 2-pointers (32.0% - 16 pts) and 14 of 23 FTs (60.9% for 14 pts).  Heavy reliance on Treys keeping us in the game vs our inside game.

Nonetheless, some impressive play from the newcomers.  :)

Edited by Red Don

Nicea, Hannah, and Riley should start, with Jess and Allie.

Allie was about the only one rebounding (11 rebounds)...we as a team just don't hit the boards. She played about the whole game and she was worn out at the end. Where are you Burns ?    Jess was pretty much out of sync all night.

I thought we were going to run a motion offense..no ?....it looked like a no motion offense. Zone defenses just kill our game. 
Free throw shooting.....geeze!! The three shooting is coming around, and the freshman shot well overall.

Omaha was impressive considering how and when the team was put together, and has new very young coach. They played pretty good team ball.

Our girls get better every week...especially the freshman. On to the next one.

Hannah should start in place of Esther not true Allie was the only one rebounding because Nicea had 8 or 9 rebounds and Grace Mitchell had some impressive rebounds in the few minutes she played. Was hard for Jess to do anything with 3 people hanging on her. The bench got shortened after half time and Hannah was in there at crunch time also Coach is pretty fiery and is sharply dressed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good minutes from Riley Casio Jensen coming off the bench playing good defense and nailing a couple of nice three pointers. Love the intensity Nicea plays with on the defensive side of the game. Would like to see her shoot the rock at a better percentage though. Hannah W from what I can tell is making the most progress of this Husker squad. She had a great defensive stop on a third quarter fastbreak, and she hit double digits again coming off the bench, I agree with redsteve she should be starting. Nice comeback down 12 at the end of the first quarter to close it to within 2 at the half. Got to make our free throws going forward.

The Huskers could break that zone for a wide open bucket if they would snap that ball around the arc instead of holding the ball when they catch it and letting the defense to get set up. The next few games are going to be really tough for this young team. Hopefully, they can come through these games with a great deal of experience.

redsteve: Omaha was impressive considering how and when the team was put together, and has new very young coach. They played pretty good team ball.

B. Lange is doing a nice job at Omaha. unfortunately for the mavs, she lost a really good post player due to homesickness. with her, mavs probably could have been pushing for a top 3 finish in the summit. can't remember, but think they were picked 5th?

1 hour ago, Fastbreaker said:

We did recruit her. She told us no thanks. Said she did not feel comfortable on her visit.  And that's with a brother that played football with the Huskers.

We recruited here as a walkon.  We did not offer her a scholarship.  

11 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Good minutes from Riley Casio Jensen coming off the bench playing good defense and nailing a couple of nice three pointers. Love the intensity Nicea plays with on the defensive side of the game. Would like to see her shoot the rock at a better percentage though. Hannah W from what I can tell is making the most progress of this Husker squad. She had a great defensive stop on a third quarter fastbreak, and she hit double digits again coming off the bench, I agree with redsteve she should be starting. Nice comeback down 12 at the end of the first quarter to close it to within 2 at the half. Got to make our free throws going forward.

The Huskers could break that zone for a wide open bucket if they would snap that ball around the arc instead of holding the ball when they catch it and letting the defense to get set up. The next few games are going to be really tough for this young team. Hopefully, they can come through these games with a great deal of experience.

Was also impressed with Jensen's ball handling skills. May be the best on the team, with a little more experience. Sure drilled the 3's when we needed them.

The 3 shots were starting to fall. Looks like every team we're playing is in the zone. We need more time to figure out how to attack the zone better. Pretty sure Coach knows it's obvious too. They were way to timid as Row says...just don't seem to be ready to drive into the lane much. That was Theriot's classic skill of how to beat zones...plus her ability to make assists.

Really like where we're going.....got lots to learn.....to bad it has to be done in the thick of the fire so much. There aren't easy ones here on out.

3 hours ago, HB said:

We recruited here as a walkon.  We did not offer her a scholarship.  

Since she did not feel comfortable here why would a scholarship offer make a difference.  I also don't think she is as good as you think.  A true freshman shut her down in the second and third quarters.  She is a nice summit level player who would of helped us this year, not so much the previous three years. 

If we can hold teams we face to under 60 and we can beat the zone and take what defense gives us, we might be competitive during the next stretch of our schedule.  Quick passes beat the zone.  Not as fluid as I like to see.  Lots of question marks but allot of improvement in a span of 5 games.  Coach Williams seems to have solutions for addressing areas of improvement.  Scoring was balanced and the 3 ball is falling.  I'm not sure we have played a tough team yet.  Missouri was good but beatable.  Matchups will be key this week.  If we don't show up to play in the next 4 games, we could get beat by wide margins.  The competition will challenge us offensively.  Defense wise we are good enough to keep games close only if offense can figure out how to be consistent.  Happy turkey eating day!  

10 minutes ago, Husker15 said:

Happy turkey eating day!  

Hey Husker15, Thanks for the entrée!  :)

Be sure to save some of that Turkey for Lots of Sandwiches!

Here is the Sports Fan's Upcoming Schedule of Husker Sports during Thanksgiving!  :D

Thurs, 11/24: MBB vs Dayton @ 7:30 pm CST (Wooden Legacy), ESPNU
Friday, 11/25: Football vs Iowa @ 2:30 pm CST, ABC
Friday, 11/25: WBB vs Washington State @ 8:00 pm (South Point Shootout), HSN (audio)
Friday, 11/25: MBB vs UCLA or Portland @ TBA (Wooden Legacy), ESPN2 or ESPN3
Saturday, 11/26: WVB vs Michigan @ 7:00 pm CST, BTN2Go
Saturday, 11/26: WBB vs Virginia @ 8:00 pm CST (Southpoing Shootout), HSN (audio)
Sunday, 11/27: MBB vs TBA (Wooden Legacy), ESPN or ESPNU

(Did I Miss Any? ;)

6 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

We did recruit her. She told us no thanks. Said she did not feel comfortable on her visit.  And that's with a brother that played football with the Huskers.

Nebraska did not recruit her. She and her parents set up a visit to NU to gauge what her chances were if she walked on. She didn't like what Yori told her and decided to pursue other interests.   

2 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Since she did not feel comfortable here why would a scholarship offer make a difference.  I also don't think she is as good as you think.  A true freshman shut her down in the second and third quarters.  She is a nice summit level player who would of helped us this year, not so much the previous three years. 

Oh, only about an $80,000 difference.  And she certainly would have helped late last season when we didn't have a healthy guard or wing we could put on the floor.  But whatever.

Edited by HB

I did not get to see the first 2 games, but they were more promising than I expected.  I agree with Bugeaters that Hannah should be starting,  but I disagree with in place of Esther.  I do not like the put head down, ignore the team drive against double and triple teams and get stuffed.  On a positve note we were bailed out with two fouls.  On the other hand I loved the five assists from Hannah.  Also love the way Riley passes it gets quickly from A to B and does not have to be telegraphed.

Here's how I look at who should start between Hannah and Esther.  In the last game Esther started at point guard and brought the ball down the court the first 3 times.  She had 2 turnovers and would have had a 3rd except the defense got called for kicking the ball.  She is better coming off the bench.  Besides she is a senior where Hannah is a freshmen.  Who do you think has the best upside?

Also Hannah so far in 4 games has 1 turnover with 9 assists.  Esther has 4 turnovers with 7 assists.  Pretty much equal playing time.

I will admit that Esther is playing better then I expected.