That final 24 seconds

GoBigRed

If the rules would make a flop a technical foul...it would help stop a lot of the acting...and reviews.

Unless they've changed the rules, a flop can be called a technical for simulation.

I hope you are correct...but if it is, can you site one example of this ever being called, as I have never seen this call. But I have seen a lot of obvious flops!

The more I think about it the more I get ticked off. They should only be able to review fouls that are called to determine if they are flagrant OR something that happens completely away from the ball. They did not even call a foul on Ubel and he had the ball so every ref was watching. If they can review that then every no-called foul could be reviewed if the coach whines enough. Makes zero sense. Absolute stupidity. "Hey ref, thought I saw a guy knee my guy in the crotch coming off a screen a couple possessions ago." "Coach, you were right. Two free throws and the ball." Hope this costs a team at the end of a game in March Madness.

A foul should stop play in basketball.  Everything that happens thereafter should be void.

If I'm slicing to the hoop and a defender slides over into me trying to take a charge but doesn't get set in time, that's a foul.  If, after that, another player whacks my arm trying to keep me from hitting the shot, that's also a foul, but the refs don't call two fouls in that situation because the first foul stops play.

I'm unfamiliar with this continuation situation.  Is that really a rule?  They can go back and call an earlier foul but then treat the play as continuing thereafter and basically call two fouls on the same possession?  (OK, I know there was a change of possession but no dead ball in the meantime, so you get what I mean.)  If that's the case, that's stupid.  Change the rule.

Norm has spoken.   ^_^

And, any player who flops should have to change into pink gym shorts for the rest of the game.  Man rule?

I had a few minutes yesterday and researched the actual NCAA rule.  I could locate the flagrant 1 and flagrant two elbow rules, but could not locate the continuation of play rule.  That is what baffles me. 

In this specific situation it was a train wreck.  I would argue that there was not even contact.  If it was, it was sooo slight.  More contact is made by a fly that hovers near your face...that said, that slight impact resulted in four foul shots and ball possession.  Wowser.

I think this whole concern about head trauma in athletics can be alleviated if we make safety helmet use in basketball mandatory. I think this may be the direction we should go in protecting our young people. Of course elbow pads would help too, but Ubel was already wearing one of these and the blast of air from the proximity of his elbow was enough to cause the PSU player to tumble to the floor where a very serious floor burn could have taken place. Thank goodness the vigilant referees were there to stop the insanity before it got out of control.

A foul should stop play in basketball.  Everything that happens thereafter should be void.

If I'm slicing to the hoop and a defender slides over into me trying to take a charge but doesn't get set in time, that's a foul.  If, after that, another player whacks my arm trying to keep me from hitting the shot, that's also a foul, but the refs don't call two fouls in that situation because the first foul stops play.

I'm unfamiliar with this continuation situation.  Is that really a rule?  They can go back and call an earlier foul but then treat the play as continuing thereafter and basically call two fouls on the same possession?  (OK, I know there was a change of possession but no dead ball in the meantime, so you get what I mean.)  If that's the case, that's stupid.  Change the rule.

Norm has spoken.   ^_^

And, any player who flops should have to change into pink gym shorts for the rest of the game.  Man rule?

Actually there is a rule in NSAA basketball that goes something like this... if Player A is shooting a three pointer and is proceeded to be fouled by 2 differet team B defenders, the player is susposed to be awarded 4 freethrows.  I have never seen it called and would think that some may get a little upset if it was called.