Successful Non-Con?

Hoops_Legend

We've got one of the better non-con schedules in many years.  It'll be a good test.

Would 4 losses be a successful non-con?

What if we lose to Creighton at home?

I know that many here don't want to look at that game as a barometer of our program, but we have to be man enough to accept that the expectation should always be to beat them.  We have every advantage in the world to have a better program, but we don't get the job done.  I understand that college basketball comes down to the coaching advantage (or disadvantage), but is McDermott really that much better?  I guess stats often can prove a point, Miles 0-12 vs McDermott and 0-4 vs Creighton.  If we can't beat these guys, then how can we expect to compete in B10?  

Sorry for the frustration, but if we don't get the job done this year, I'm an advocate for finding someone who will.  Can't lose this game every freakin year.

4 or fewer losses and a win vs CU= successful non-con in my opinion.

I agree that in any given season 1 game isn't the judgement.  But you have to look at the body of work, and a trend.

The trend against CU is getting worse, not better.  If you don't use that as a (not the only) barometer, you're not objective, your disdain for Creighton is clouding your ability to look at the situation.

11 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

I agree that in any given season 1 game isn't the judgement.  But you have to look at the body of work, and a trend.

The trend against CU is getting worse, not better.  If you don't use that as a (not the only) barometer, you're not objective, your disdain for Creighton is clouding your ability to look at the situation.

Glad you're not an AD.  Fire the coach over one game.  That makes sense.  Don't look at anything else.  Beat Creighton or you get fired.  I guess that would really please the Cretins.  "Our game is so important it got the coach fired!".  

Winning three of the next five would be considered a nice start to a successful season. What we do against Creighton and KU are irrelevant as long as we are not humiliated since they are both better teams than NU at this point and have both done this to us in the past. If all turns out well, we might have a chance to beat both next year. But, hey, what do I know? Our recent election proved that.

13 hours ago, HB said:

Glad you're not an AD.  Fire the coach over one game.  That makes sense.  Don't look at anything else.  Beat Creighton or you get fired.  I guess that would really please the Cretins.  "Our game is so important it got the coach fired!".  

Ignore him.  He's a CU fan.  

8-4 would be nice, i.e no melt-downs or freeze-ups.  But, I believe it's more important what happens afterwards.

Defense appears to be their strength so far. They've left a lot of points on the floor through missed shots, lay-ups, and bunnies, in both LA Tech and Sac State games. But they are young, with a lot of newcomers who show potential; I may be wrong, but I don't think they are through growing yet. :wink:

Meanwhile, it is nice to see multiple scoring threats develop, over the limited options of previous seasons.

Edited by Red Don

On 11/19/2016 at 10:56 AM, Hoops_Legend said:

We've got one of the better non-con schedules in many years.  It'll be a good test.

Would 4 losses be a successful non-con?

What if we lose to Creighton at home?

I know that many here don't want to look at that game as a barometer of our program, but we have to be man enough to accept that the expectation should always be to beat them.  We have every advantage in the world to have a better program, but we don't get the job done.  I understand that college basketball comes down to the coaching advantage (or disadvantage), but is McDermott really that much better?  I guess stats often can prove a point, Miles 0-12 vs McDermott and 0-4 vs Creighton.  If we can't beat these guys, then how can we expect to compete in B10?  

Sorry for the frustration, but if we don't get the job done this year, I'm an advocate for finding someone who will.  Can't lose this game every freakin year.

4 or fewer losses and a win vs CU= successful non-con in my opinion.

Sure glad we didn't fire Tom Osborne since he couldn't beat OU for several years when he took over as head coach.  I'd take conference wins over the CU game anytime.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Sure glad we didn't fire Tom Osborne since he couldn't beat OU for several years when he took over as head coach.  I'd take conference wins over the CU game anytime.

That's for sure. But we haven't been successful at either of those two in the last few seasons. How we do in the Big Ten more times than not will decide our fate come March. But, I do think this upcoming Creighton game is an important one for Miles. 

If we're being real with ourselves, comparing the status of our program based on how we play against Creighton this year just isn't fair. This is one of the best teams if not the best team Creighton has ever had. They just hung 112 on NC State. We barely got to 70 against a bad D2 team. Let our young talent grow and see where we are in two years. Firing Miles would hurt this program more than help it in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

If we're being real with ourselves, comparing the status of our program based on how we play against Creighton this year just isn't fair. This is one of the best teams if not the best team Creighton has ever had. They just hung 112 on NC State. We barely got to 70 against a bad D2 team. Let our young talent grow and see where we are in two years. Firing Miles would hurt this program more than help it in my opinion. 

Yes... agree on all points except that we "barely" got to 70.  We could have scored a lot more than 70 I think if we wanted too.  Agree with everything else though.  Creighton is good.  Legit they finally can walk the walk good.  (I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap now.)

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Yes... agree on all points except that we "barely" got to 70.  We could have scored a lot more than 70 I think if we wanted too.  Agree with everything else though.  Creighton is good.  Legit they finally can walk the walk good.  (I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap now.)

You're right. I use "barely" with tongue in cheek. But you get what I mean. GBR

On 11/19/2016 at 10:56 AM, Hoops_Legend said:

but we have to be man enough to accept that the expectation should always be to beat them.

It's been 13 years since they've been a MVC team that has called the Civic it's home.  

During that time they've evolved into a team playing in a facility as good as any in the nation in a conference that is part of the top tiers of conferences.  (If the Big East is so inferior why is the Big 10 scheduling them yearly as opposed to the AAC or Atlantic 10 or MWC?)

Thus, the expectation to beat Creighton every year at this point is essentially equivalent to expecting to always beat Michigan or Purdue or Indiana or Wisconsin; which of those teams do you expect to waltz in and beat?  I completely understand the singular focus on Creighton as after all the conference shakeups they alone remain our rival in schedule in addition to geography.  Have you ever stopped to consider that a small part of why we haven't been able to beat them lately is the expectations conveyed based on the perception of where a team was 13 years ago?

10 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It's been 13 years since they've been a MVC team that has called the Civic it's home.  

During that time they've evolved into a team playing in a facility as good as any in the nation in a conference that is part of the top tiers of conferences.  (If the Big East is so inferior why is the Big 10 scheduling them yearly as opposed to the AAC or Atlantic 10 or MWC?)

Thus, the expectation to beat Creighton every year at this point is essentially equivalent to expecting to always beat Michigan or Purdue or Indiana or Wisconsin; which of those teams do you expect to waltz in and beat?  I completely understand the singular focus on Creighton as after all the conference shakeups they alone remain our rival in schedule in addition to geography.  Have you ever stopped to consider that a small part of why we haven't been able to beat them lately is the expectations conveyed based on the perception of where a team was 13 years ago?

I don't think realistically the fan base should "expect" to beat them every year.  It almost feels like now the majority expects us to lose every year against them thanks to recent history.  A win or loss vs Creighton doesn't necessarily make our non-con a success or bust but I don't think Miles can go 0-5 against an instate rival and not take a little bit of heat for it.  He could wipe that a way with a good conference slate but I don't think a lot of people around here are expecting this team to roll of 9-10 wins in the Big Ten at this point.     

9 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don't think realistically the fan base should "expect" to beat them every year.  It almost feels like now the majority expects us to lose every year against them thanks to recent history.  A win or loss vs Creighton doesn't necessarily make our non-con a success or bust but I don't think Miles can go 0-5 against an instate rival and not take a little bit of heat for it.  He could wipe that a way with a good conference slate but I don't think a lot of people around here are expecting this team to roll of 9-10 wins in the Big Ten at this point.     

Agreed...just like beating Creighton didn't save Sadler's job it certainly earned him a little more leeway.  I hope the fan base doesn't feel the same sort of "just call this a L" that is the consensus feeling towards the Kansas game.  We're playing those guys at home in their first true road game of the year...of course we have a very good shot at beating them and there are non-objective computer models that have us as a slight underdog to ground any sort of feeling either way.

Also not sure if anyone watched the Creighton vs NC State game last night but Creighton had 100 points with 6 minutes left in the game. They can absolutely bang from 3 and the PG is really good at breaking people down off the dribble. If we are competitive with Creighton for the entire game i.e. they have to shoot FT's at the end to put the game away I will be ecstatic. They looked like one of the best teams in the country yesterday