Game Day Essentials: Game #3 vs Louisiana Tech

hhcmatt

Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-0) vs Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (1-1)

QNXQVCBUUEUUCIV_20090513163122.jpg

The 1996 NIT championship team will be honored 

Date: Saturday, Nov. 19
Time: 7:01 p.m. 
Arena: Pinnacle Bank Arena

Broadcast:  None

Web:  ESPN3/WatchESPN

Louisiana Tech Info

eeb5y75gih97igg7lxvph7v4o.gif

Head Coach: Eric Konkol
Conference: C-USA
Nickname: Bulldogs

Mascots: Champ (Human dressed as a Bulldog) and Tech (Actual Bulldog)
Last time out: Beat Alabama St
Typical Rotation Depth: 9 deep
Line: Nebraska by 7
4 Factors:  Aggressively getting to the FT line and causing turnovers
Tempo: Baseline to baseline

Style: Fast and aggressive, will press and generate steals

Shirt not to wear: Blue, 

How do I know these guys: This is that team that had Troy Edwards in 1998 as he toasted the Nebraska's secondary to the tune of 405 yards on 21 catches. The Huskers went on to win that game 56-27. We also beat them, once again in football, in 2006.

Miles Presser

Morrow Presser

Player to watch: 6'8" 225# Eric McCree (SR)

Named as a member of the pre-season C-USA all-conference second team after racking up 8 double-doubles and ten 20+ point games. Shoots from anywhere on the court, gets to the FT line, rebounds well.

Player to watch: 6'9" 255# Omar Sherman (JR)

Tech runs a small athletic squad but the one exception is Sherman who transferred along with Konkol from Miami. His backup is 7'0" 205# beanpole Joniah White

The Skinny: Welcome to the tune-up game for the Thanksgiving tournament to a team that the Huskers know not to overlook in Louisiana Tech. Former coach Michael White put together this high speed Tech team, parlaying three straight 27+ win seasons into the Florida gig. Jim Larranaga assistant (both at George Mason and Miami) Eric Konkol took over last year and thus far has continued the running and the winning. (Trivia alert: Konkol played for Bo Ryan's University of Wisconsin at Platteville team in 1995)

You might have noticed me using the word "aggressive" a few time already as that is the Bulldog game plan. On offense they'll aggressively shoot when open and impatiently drive towards the basket to the point they went to the FT line 30 times vs. South Carolina.  Defensively they generated 14 turnovers on an impressive 11 steals vs the Gamecocks. The name of the game for this younger Nebraska team will be composure.  While Tech will swing momentum at times by generating easy baskets on turnovers there should be the inevitable dry spells that come with the territory of a so-so shooting team. If the Huskers can weather the storm, there will be plenty of easy baskets to be had. Take that philosophy to the defensive side where not fouling will force the Bulldogs to run an offense and the Huskers win this running away.

I don't think Nebraska is quite into running away with games just yet and suspect they might slow this one down a bit to mess with Tech's rythym.

Prediction: Nebraska 74 - Louisiana Tech 66

View full article

On 11/19/2016 at 4:43 PM, jimmykc said:

What is ESPN3 and is it available on DISH?

I thought I had it pretty clear but I'll put the .com on watchespn next time.  Some of these are internet only options and if you have a subscription to a service that includes ESPN you are able to watch this for free. I would think Dish would have a section on how to sign up for these internet only services and if not you can go straight to watchespn.com and validate your account with your Dish authentication.  I'd recommend you do this well before you might want to watch a game.

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I thought I had it pretty clear but I'll put the .com on watchespn next time.  Some of these are internet only options and if you have a subscription to a service that includes ESPN you are able to watch this for free. I would think Dish would have a section on how to sign up for these internet only services and if not you can go straight to watchespn.com and validate your account with your Dish authentication.  I'd recommend you do this well before you might want to watch a game.

Yes!  It always seems to take me some extra time & effort to get a video stream up and running in time to see the start of the game (even though I already have a subscription). Probably my 'old' computer equipment.

Both BTN+ & ESPN3/WatchESPN could do their subscribers a favor by showing a little bit of the arena/crowd/intros before the start just so you know your video stream is working (rather than starting at the tip (if then).  Don't know why they seem to be so stingy with their air time - that and the blank screen during halftime.