What could have been part 2

Hoops_Legend

Just a follow up to Noah's thread.  He forgot to mention Andrew White.  Sort of an odd omission when analyzing "what could have been"?  

We we basically have replaced Andrew White's production with Anton Gill.  

I I know it's early, but the summer hype on this board promoting a potential upgrade, ain't lookin so good.

White looks really good 18pts per game.  Gill 1.5pts per game.  

I understand that we're young, but we're seemingly always a year away.  I am concerned with the declining product we're seeing, and the declining fan atmosphere bothers me also.  We have an opportunity to turn it all around with a nice pre conf slate, including a huge opportunity to beat Creighton at home.

At some point (sooner rather than later) we gotta step up this program.

40 minutes ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Just a follow up to Noah's thread.  He forgot to mention Andrew White.  Sort of an odd omission when analyzing "what could have been"?  

I I know it's early, but the summer hype on this board promoting a potential upgrade, ain't lookin so good.

I understand that we're young, but we're seemingly always a year away.  I am concerned with the declining product we're seeing, and the declining fan atmosphere bothers me also.  We have an opportunity to turn it all around with a nice pre conf slate, including a huge opportunity to beat Creighton at home.

Uhmmmm that is just about all we talked about on that thread...

2 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Hoops, I feel your pain. It's not often easy being a Husker hoops fan. I do, however, take exception to a few things you said.

I would dispute the notion that we're seeing a "declining product," as you characterized it. If you look at Miles' coaching history, every stop featured an upward trajectory during his tenure. That doesn't mean that each year he's going to win more games than the previous year. Rosters change, players transfer, etc. Sometimes the trajectory isn't always smooth, but instead looks like the chart of a good stock. Even the best stocks have occasional pullbacks as they make their way higher.

2013–14 Nebraska 19–13 11–7 4th NCAA Second Round
2014–15 Nebraska 13–18 5–13 12th  
2015–16 Nebraska 16–18 6–12 11th

You can see Nebraska's record over the previous three seasons. 2014-2015 was the pullback. Last season, as bad as it was, represented an upward trajectory. I expect the Huskers to win more than 16 games this year, and doing so would continue the upward trajectory. The facts don't support your claim that we're witnessing a "declining product." The ascent may not be happening as quickly as we'd all prefer, but I believe it's happening.

I believe player development also contradicts the theory of a declining product. It's hard to argue based on the early results that all five of this year's starters haven't shown improvement over last season. Ed Morrow looks like a completely different player, and it's not just being healthy. He actually has a jumper now. This staff is developing players, both in S&C and on the court. The results so far speak for themselves.

I get that losing White was a big blow, but you've arbitrarily chosen Anton Gill as the player you say has replaced his production. That's really not accurate. For starters, they don't even play the same position, and the reality is that the possessions in which AW3 would've attempted to score this year have been replaced by possessions that are being distributed among multiple players. Some are doing a great job with those opportunities, while others are not. Arbitrarily focusing on Gill's production as a replacement for White's is not very instructive in my opinion.

I know it's been a frustrating couple of years, but I believe we're actually seeing an ascending product, and while we may in fact be a year away, I don't feel we'll be saying that a year from now. There are a lot of reasons to be very excited about this roster and its potential over the next 2-3 years.

Edited by Hooper

9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Is there any way to unsubscribe to any threads that mention Andrew White? Just asking for a friend.

I once asked the same thing about threads mentioning Creighton. 

Edited by atskooc

11 hours ago, Hoops_Legend said:

Sacramento St and Mary is not going to draw a great crowd.  I'm sure starting this Saturday the atmosphere will start to get much better. 

Roby will replace him.  Give him 5 more games.  He was already going to get some of White's minutes this season, and he's a better all around offensive talent.  Gill is another ball handler--we needed that more than White.  McVeigh has filled our shooter role pretty well thus far in White's absence.  Really, our added depth will replace him.   

White is a good college player, though.  Not taking anything away from him, but he's not a great player.  Just good.  

30 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Roby will replace him.  Give him 5 more games.  He was already going to get some of White's minutes this season, and he's a better all around offensive talent.  Gill is another ball handler--we needed that more than White.  McVeigh has filled our shooter role pretty well thus far in White's absence.  Really, our added depth will replace him.   

White is a good college player, though.  Not taking anything away from him, but he's not a great player.  Just good.  

Horne might be that Zone Buster we need also.

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Its tough to quantify good versus great - everyone will have their own feelings.  To me, an all conference player, first or second team, qualifies as great rather than good. 

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Re Gill as "another ball handler"--he better handle it better than he did Tuesday night.  That was a big time struggle.  

2 hours ago, King James said:

Its tough to quantify good versus great - everyone will have their own feelings.  To me, an all conference player, first or second team, qualifies as great rather than good. 

I agree.  AWIII wasn't going to be anything more than honorable mention All Conference again.  Again, not a criticism.  He's a good player, but good players are replaceable.  

I know some message boards have the ability for administrators to filter words and replace them with funnier ones.

I'm not sure if it's possible with the program used here, but I'd be down with filtering "Creighton" to "Roast Beef Sandwiches" or "Sweater Vests" or "Drunks in the Hallway"...something like that.

I'd spend more time in threads about Creighton, that's for sure.

Edited by atskooc

1 minute ago, Section_316 said:

We would be a better team and program with Andrew White in it as opposed to playing for Syracuse. Thats a fact. All the people bagging on him don't really know what went down. Same thing with Pitchford. 

That's okay we (Most of us not in the loop) most likely won't ever know what went down.  But we will know what went down in our eyes and that is what hurtful to many.

People don't always have to have all the facts or correct facts to make an opinion.  And we also know that people will defend their opinions tooth and nail even when proven wrong.  So many on here will bag on AW III forever even if you have video footage of him being wronged by this staff or this University or whomever it is that you say wronged him.

It is just the way it is and it is the way it will be.  You might just have to learn to deal with it.  I don't mean that to be negative just saying that is how it is here.  Some are truly hurt and will be hurt for a very long time and you aren't going to change that.  Sorry.  

And I mean all this with out any sarcasm.

23 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Tlongert's okay we (Most of us not in the loop) most likely won't ever know what went down.  But we will know what went down in our eyes and that is what hurtful to many.

People don't always have to have all the facts or correct facts to make an opinion.  And we also know that people will defend their opinions tooth and nail even when proven wrong.  So many on here will bag on AW III forever even if you have video footage of him being wronged by this staff or this University or whomever it is that you say wronged him.

It is just the way it is and it is the way it will be.  You might just have to learn to deal with it.  I don't mean that to be negative just saying that is how it is here.  Some are truly hurt and will be hurt for a very long time and you aren't going to change that.  Sorry.  

And I mean all this with out any sarcasm.

If we have learned anything this year, it is that facts no longer matter.

27 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

We would be a better team and program with Andrew White in it as opposed to playing for Syracuse. Thats a fact. All the people bagging on him don't really know what went down. Same thing with Pitchford. 

People don't know what went down? Feel free to share. I do know he told the staff he was coming back for sure, and then they had no contact with the family for months. The staff called around and found that AW2 had been contacting other schools for a while. When he finally did get back to the staff, White's dad's rationalization via text was, "this is my retirement plan." The whole ordeal made the team closer. I'd rather have him on the team this year than at Syracuse, but what were they going to do? I'm sure Andrew has his side of the story, but daddy was looking out for his retirement plan, and apparently it was in better hands at Syracuse.

As for Pitchford, he liked to spend a lot more time drinking downtown than doing anything remotely related to basketball. His dedication wasn't there in 2014-2015, and his poor play and lack of dedication angered his teammates, Petteway in particular. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Section_316 said:

I probably know as much or more about what "went down" than you do.

And I don't buy the notion that we'd be a better team automatically with him.  It's possible but team chemistry is a huge part of team sport success.  And with Andrew on the team, not sure we'd have the team chemistry I see with this team so far.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

People don't know what went down? Feel free to share. I do know he told the staff he was coming back for sure, and then they had no contact with the family for months. The staff called around and found that AW2 had been contacting other schools for a while. When he finally did get back to the staff, White's dad's rationalization via text was, "this is my retirement plan." The whole ordeal made the team closer. I'd rather have him on the team this year than at Syracuse, but what were they going to do? I'm sure Andrew has his side of the story, but daddy was looking out for his retirement plan, and apparently it was in better hands at Syracuse.

As for Pitchford, he liked to spend a lot more time drinking downtown than doing anything remotely related to basketball. His dedication wasn't there in 2014-2015, and his poor play and lack of dedication angered his teammates, Petteway in particular. Am I missing something?

I for one know for a fact that Pitchford spent way too much time drinking way too much downtown. His actions like this matched his lackadaisical play his last year. He did not care to be playing basketball.

People need to get over this. White didn't do anything wrong.

If he thinks going to syracuse was the best move for his pro career, then i have no problem with it. He didn't break any rules.

Yes, it sucks he bailed on us after we gave him a ton of minutes, but who are we to say what's best for white's career?

6 hours ago, atskooc said:

I know some message boards have the ability for administrators to filter words and replace them with funnier ones.

I'm not sure if it's possible with the program used here, but I'd be down with filtering "Creighton" to "Roast Beef Sandwiches" or "Sweater Vests" or "Drunks in the Hallway"...something like that.

I'd spend more time in threads about Creighton, that's for sure.

Yes, this board has a profanity filter.