Rotation

kldm64

23 hours ago, 49r said:

Right now, Jack is #10 in the nation in fouls committed per 40 minutes.  Averaging just 1 per 40.  If you're wondering why he's getting so much PT, that's probably a big reason.  Well that and the fact he is our only legit 3 point threat right now.

Ed is #49 in Offensive rebounds.

Glynn is #35 in steals and #95 in FT%.

I would have thought Glynn would be higher in steals per game.

5 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I've been noticing that during games, and it's driving me nuts.  We could absolutely dominate the paint with Jordy and either Ed or MJ in at the 4.  If we aren't shooting well, we can definitely beat people up.  

Part of what we want to do is drive into the lane so having two post players sitting there makes it a mess.  Thus it's hard to pair Jordy and Ed together because which of those guys do you not want in the paint?  MJ with his ability to pass and to hit from range would make sense. Roby makes a lot of sense too because he can easily come in and clean up shots from the weakside while you're worrying about Jordy and his offensive game works well enough with him hanging out in the perimeter. 

Finally Jordy is what he is: a freshman post player who was even more raw than most freshman post players which I still forget even though it's pretty obvious. He's going to get better but we might be looking at his junior year before he averages 20+ minutes per game.

26 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Part of what we want to do is drive into the lane so having two post players sitting there makes it a mess.  Thus it's hard to pair Jordy and Ed together because which of those guys do you not want in the paint?  MJ with his ability to pass and to hit from range would make sense. Roby makes a lot of sense too because he can easily come in and clean up shots from the weakside while you're worrying about Jordy and his offensive game works well enough with him hanging out in the perimeter. 

Finally Jordy is what he is: a freshman post player who was even more raw than most freshman post players which I still forget even though it's pretty obvious. He's going to get better but we might be looking at his junior year before he averages 20+ minutes per game.

I agree with your points except for the 20+ minute comment. I think we see that next year based on his improvement this year and Tim's comments on his radio show last night.  He talked about Jordy probably getting more time in conference because of matchups.  Also said he's making improvements.  I think we see a big jump next year from Jordy similar to what we are seeing from our sophomores this year.  Of course that could be wishful thinking...  B)

Just now, Buglem said:

I agree with your points except for the 20+ minute comment. I think we see that next year based on his improvement this year and Tim's comments on his radio show last night.  He talked about Jordy probably getting more time in conference because of matchups.  Also said he's making improvements.  I think we see a big jump next year from Jordy similar to what we are seeing from our sophomores this year.  Of course that could be wishful thinking...  B)

You're absolutely right there...a lack of post players from our opponents have limited Jordy's time.  He certainly could make that jump next year but it's just so hard to bank on it because it is asking a lot. It will really speak to the amount of dedication Jordy has to basketball if he's starting games next year.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, jnhucla said:

Watson

Tai

Horn

Roby

Morrow

From what I have seen so far this year,  this would be my 5 that get the most minutes. You have to roll with some rookie errors with TO & defense mistakes so you can score. 

I would like to see the rotation look something like this:

1- Watson

2- Webster

3- Roby or Horne

4- Morrow

5- Tshimanga 

6th man: Roby or Horne

Also in rotation: Jacobson, Gill, Taylor

Not sure Jordy is ready, but yes I like what he is capable of. Gill to be around those as well. If Jake can't make a shot it is pointless that he is on the floor no dribble drive or defense. Taylor is OK can be used for some minute,  Michael has been the biggest disappointment this year by far. 

Here's what's been going on with our lineup over the past 5 games:

Depth chart over the past 5 games

PG SG SF PF C
5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
78%

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
44%

10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
52%

30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
48%

12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So
53%

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
21%

1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
42%

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
25%

15 Isaiah Roby
6-8  214  Fr
30%

32 Jordy Tshimanga
6-11  275  Fr
28%

11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
13%

11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
19%

12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So
9%

30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
19%

10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
8%

Most frequent lineups over the past 5 games help.gif

PG SG SF PF C Pct
5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
15 Isaiah Roby
6-8  214  Fr
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So
32 Jordy Tshimanga
6-11  275  Fr

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
15 Isaiah Roby
6-8  214  Fr
32 Jordy Tshimanga
6-11  275  Fr

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
32 Jordy Tshimanga
6-11  275  Fr

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

Edited by 49r

Not totally convinced that Jordy is ready to start, though I would like to see him get increasingly more minutes.

Starters wouldn't change a ton, but I do bring Evan Taylor in at the 3 because I think he brings us the most right now.  Glynn and Tai make up the rest of the starting back court.  Ed and Michael start in the front court.  I think Gill is probably your 6th man and then I'd try to get the freshmen as many minutes as I could.

Which leaves Jack and Nick as sort of odd men out.  At least for the time being.  If Jack can find his game again, he should play.  He was doing really well until he almost pissed the Dayton game down his leg.  I don't think he's ever really recovered from that near disaster.

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not totally convinced that Jordy is ready to start, though I would like to see him get increasingly more minutes.

Starters wouldn't change a ton, but I do bring Evan Taylor in at the 3 because I think he brings us the most right now.  Glynn and Tai make up the rest of the starting back court.  Ed and Michael start in the front court.  I think Gill is probably your 6th man and then I'd try to get the freshmen as many minutes as I could.

Which leaves Jack and Nick as sort of odd men out.  At least for the time being.  If Jack can find his game again, he should play.  He was doing really well until he almost pissed the Dayton game down his leg.  I don't think he's ever really recovered from that near disaster.

This.

Did I do that right?

I'm not seeing what a lot of you seem to be seeing in Jordy. Not saying he doesn't have potential or isn't a promising player - just not seeing what you all are seeing to warrant much more minutes (let alone starting). 

Gill, Horne, and Roby need to have some of McVeigh's minutes distributed to them. Just my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I'm not seeing what a lot of you seem to be seeing in Jordy. Not saying he doesn't have potential or isn't a promising player - just not seeing what you all are seeing to warrant much more minutes (let alone starting).

You know... I was right there with you even a week ago. He can't seem to hold onto the ball, he doesn't play as aggressive as you would think for his size, and he just seems to be a little lost out there at times. But when I started looking at some of his stats (See: http://huskerhoopscentral.com/forums/topic/10979-stats-per-minute-team-analysis/), I've started to slowly change my dialogue about him.

He still needs to improve a lot, but when he is out on the court, he's Top 5 in every category (on a stat/minute) other than 3PM, 3PA, and AST. I can't say whether he should be playing more or less, but he is playing more efficiently then a lot of other teammates when he is out on the court.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Gill, Horne, and Roby need to have some of McVeigh's minutes distributed to them. Just my opinion. 

I like Jordy and see the potential.   Liked his game up close at KU.  But he does have two glaring deficiencies:   Very poor hands, and a right hand that is essentially a useless appendage.   Would hope he can develop at least a passable right hand some day, and moves to his right.  500 reps a day in the offseason.  The hands things tends to stick, barring a hand transplant.   Still, a lot to like about the young man. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I said I'd like to see him get more minutes because I want to see him develop further.

He does a couple of things pretty well.  One is that he moves his feet pretty quickly on defense.  I've seen Josh Patton blow by Ethan Happ.  I saw Jordy stay in his way.  He needs to get a better understanding of ball screen defense, but his size is irreplaceable.  The second thing is that he's pretty aggressive.  He's not timid.  Look at what he did last night.  One of his baskets came on a dribble drive from near the top of the key.  He saw he could get a step on his defender and he got past him and scored.  I thought that showed pretty good basketball IQ, realizing that he could get to the rim and score in that situation.  As the season has progressed, he's done better and better at going up strong, getting the ball out of his hands and banking in some point-blank shots over top of the defense.  He needs some polish on the offensive end, but he'd get that with playing time.

At this point, I don't think Jacobson is playing so well that he justifies keeping Jordy on the bench as much.  That's my rationale, anyway.

Jordy simply needs to come off bench and spark inside. He should come in for Jacobson and move Ed to the 4 when it takes place. I'm not so sold on Horne playing the 4, but he's slow on defense and I don't know if he can guard the 3. Guess we will just have to wait and see, but I do think that Jacks minutes will decrease to role player when we need a spark 3 or neither Horne or Roby are making shots.

**Disclaimer: I’m ignoring Nick Fuller in my rotation for reasons that I feel are too obvious to require explanation.**

We have three guys who are too valuable to take off the court: Watson, Webster, and Morrow.  If I’m Tim Miles, I pencil in Glynn/Tai/Ed for a combined 100 minutes, and then I laminate the paper so I can’t change my mind.  That leaves Jacobson, McVeigh, Roby, Chimichanga, Horne, Taylor, and Gill, who all bring something to the table, but also all have glaring weaknesses. 

Jordy: When he’s locked in mentally, he’s been a beast for us.  When he’s not, he fumbles every pass thrown his way, loses his man on defense, and collects fouls like their pokemon.  Should Jordy get 20 minutes?  On some nights yes.  Should he only get spot duty in the 5-10 minute range?  On some nights yes.  Jordy’s youth and inconsistency make it impossible for the coaches to know how much to rely on him on any given night.  But if one thing is clear to me, you know within his first few minutes on the floor whether he will be on or off.  Verdict: play him early but with a short leash.

Jacobson: Steady player on D and the boards, but with no outside shot he’s been ineffective as a stretch 4.  He also doesn’t seem to play particularly well next to Jordy or Ed, so it’s tough to play him in a  3-out/2-in or high/low post look.  Verdict: lots of minutes when we want to go big or Jordy isn’t locked in; otherwise, nope.

Jack/Anton/Jeriah: I’d treat all 3 of these guys the same, since all are super streaky on offense and average to below average on D/rebounding.  Each gets the full-confidence green light to shoot while they’re in the game, and each gets a solid 4-6 minute stretch in the first half.  Whoever’s hot gets as many minutes as they can physically handle in the second half.  Whoever’s not finds the end of the bench.  The tough part here is keeping their collective confidence up to shoot when open, while simultaneously keeping them all on a short leash.

Taylor: I’ll admit when I’m wrong-- I said early in the season that Taylor had no serious role on this team.  But with so many talented/inconsistent players, it’s nice to have a 6’5” guy to put in the game that you know will play D and won’t turn it over.  VERDICT: On nights when no one can score and we’re trying to win ugly, give me an extra helping of Evan. 

Roby: Other than our top 3 guys, Zay is the one player who I feel like needs consistent minutes on a nightly basis.  Even when he’s not having a great night, he still doesn’t make a ton of mistakes.  On a roster filled with high potential/low consistency (Jordy/Jack/Anton/Jeriah) and low potential/high consistency (Michael/Evan) players, we have to find a way to give Roby solid time in both halves.

Conclusion: of the 200 minutes per game, I give 100 to my top 3, 20 to Roby, and divide up the remaining 80 among the other 6 players differently each game.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

**Disclaimer: I’m ignoring Nick Fuller in my rotation for reasons that I feel are too obvious to require explanation.**

We have three guys who are too valuable to take off the court: Watson, Webster, and Morrow.  If I’m Tim Miles, I pencil in Glynn/Tai/Ed for a combined 100 minutes, and then I laminate the paper so I can’t change my mind.  That leaves Jacobson, McVeigh, Roby, Chimichanga, Horne, Taylor, and Gill, who all bring something to the table, but also all have glaring weaknesses. 

Jordy: When he’s locked in mentally, he’s been a beast for us.  When he’s not, he fumbles every pass thrown his way, loses his man on defense, and collects fouls like their pokemon.  Should Jordy get 20 minutes?  On some nights yes.  Should he only get spot duty in the 5-10 minute range?  On some nights yes.  Jordy’s youth and inconsistency make it impossible for the coaches to know how much to rely on him on any given night.  But if one thing is clear to me, you know within his first few minutes on the floor whether he will be on or off.  Verdict: play him early but with a short leash.

Jacobson: Steady player on D and the boards, but with no outside shot he’s been ineffective as a stretch 4.  He also doesn’t seem to play particularly well next to Jordy or Ed, so it’s tough to play him in a  3-out/2-in or high/low post look.  Verdict: lots of minutes when we want to go big or Jordy isn’t locked in; otherwise, nope.

Jack/Anton/Jeriah: I’d treat all 3 of these guys the same, since all are super streaky on offense and average to below average on D/rebounding.  Each gets the full-confidence green light to shoot while they’re in the game, and each gets a solid 4-6 minute stretch in the first half.  Whoever’s hot gets as many minutes as they can physically handle in the second half.  Whoever’s not finds the end of the bench.  The tough part here is keeping their collective confidence up to shoot when open, while simultaneously keeping them all on a short leash.

Taylor: I’ll admit when I’m wrong-- I said early in the season that Taylor had no serious role on this team.  But with so many talented/inconsistent players, it’s nice to have a 6’5” guy to put in the game that you know will play D and won’t turn it over.  VERDICT: On nights when no one can score and we’re trying to win ugly, give me an extra helping of Evan. 

Roby: Other than our top 3 guys, Zay is the one player who I feel like needs consistent minutes on a nightly basis.  Even when he’s not having a great night, he still doesn’t make a ton of mistakes.  On a roster filled with high potential/low consistency (Jordy/Jack/Anton/Jeriah) and low potential/high consistency (Michael/Evan) players, we have to find a way to give Roby solid time in both halves.

Conclusion: of the 200 minutes per game, I give 100 to my top 3, 20 to Roby, and divide up the remaining 80 among the other 6 players differently each game.

Can't argue with much of your logic.  Well articulated post.  One thing I'd add on Roby is that when he does make mistakes, he has the athleticism to erase them with a block or a play most people just can't make.

16 minutes ago, Buglem said:

Can't argue with much of your logic.  Well articulated post.  One thing I'd add on Roby is that when he does make mistakes, he has the athleticism to erase them with a block or a play most people just can't make.

I also think that now that Roby got a clean MRI.  Both he and the coaching staff can go a bit harder.

Depth chart over the past 5 games

PG SG SF PF C
5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
73%

1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
46%

10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
44%

30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
41%

12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So
50%

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
26%

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
41%

11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
28%

15 Isaiah Roby
6-8  214  Fr
33%

32 Jordy Tshimanga
6-11  275  Fr
31%

11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
13%

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
21%

2 Jeriah Horne
6-7  222  Fr
9%

30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
19%

2 Jeriah Horne
6-7  222  Fr
5%

10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
7%

12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So
6%

Most frequent lineups over the past 5 games help.gif

PG SG SF PF C Pct
5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
15 Isaiah Roby
6-8  214  Fr
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So
32 Jordy Tshimanga
6-11  275  Fr

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
30 Ed Morrow
6-7  234  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
15 Isaiah Roby
6-8  214  Fr
32 Jordy Tshimanga
6-11  275  Fr

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
11 Evan Taylor
6-5  206  Jr
2 Jeriah Horne
6-7  222  Fr
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
15 Isaiah Roby
6-8  214  Fr
32 Jordy Tshimanga
6-11  275  Fr

5 Glynn Watson
6-0  175  So
1 Anton Gill
6-3  195  Jr
0 Tai Webster
6-4  195  Sr
10 Jack McVeigh
6-8  215  So
12 Michael Jacobson
6-9  230  So

UNKNOWN 0.0
Border thickness proportional to player %Poss, green shading proportional to 3PA/(.475*FTA+FGA)
Position designation is estimated by an algorithm and may not reflect reality.