What Could Have Been

bigFRED

Looking through some stats from thus far and was curious to see how Ex-Huskers played in their games with new teams. First guys I looked up were Tarin Smith at Duquesne, Sergej Vucetic at Evansville, Jacob Hammond (where'd he end up?), and Nate Hawkins at UT-Arlington. 

Tarin's game was against Penn State and he started and looked to be pretty aggressive as he put up 8 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists on a pretty weak 3-15 shooting.

Sergej's first game was against Louisville and he scored 5 points, and grabbed 2 rebounds in 12 minutes of play.

Nate Hawkins first game was against Minnesota and he played 14 minutes and scored 4 points on 0-4 shooting from downtown.

Edited by noahjb24

28 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Sergej's first game was against Louisville and he scored 5 points, and grabbed 2 rebounds in 12 minutes of play.

As a redshirt senior Surge put up those numbers in garage time in a game they lost by 31. Nice kid but that was a big whiff by us.

Tarin Smith would not be starting with us, and if he wouldn't be starting, he wouldn't be happy.  I am glad he found a good landing spot. 

Here is a good follow up question.  Using the players mentioned, who received their schollie?

Edited by huskercwg

The only player who left who would be starting for Nebraska this year is AWIII. Tarin Smith had potential, but he wouldn't start for this team. The players in the first two Miles recruiting classes who left made wise decisions in my opinion, as their departures preceded the influx of a large number of recruits of a much higher caliber who would have beaten them out for playing time. 

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

I wonder what ever happened to Nate Hawkins?  He'd be a senior this year with Webster, no?

He landed at UT-Arlington. Averaged about 15 minutes a game last year, 3.7 points, 1.5 assists. This year through 2 games, he's about the same in terms of minutes played. Had 4 points in the opener, but none in most recent game vs. Minnesota.

Obviously you would want to keep AW3 for 3pt shooting and rebounding. Can never have too much of that.

I'd also say I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Tarin Smith or Jake Hammond. Simply for added depth at their positions. I think we are okay if Smith is your 4th or 5th best gaurd and Hammond is your 3rd or 4th best post player.

Tarin was a bummer to lose but he doesn't hold a candle to Glynn... and wouldn't want a guy here who was always complaining about minutes.

Not sad about any of the guys who left outside of AWIII but think his leaving could be a blessing. Forces more of a team game and Andrew will be so focused on showing a certain skill to the NBA he might not be ideal moving forward for a team and growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, 49r said:

I wonder what ever happened to Nate Hawkins?  He'd be a senior this year with Webster, no?

Yes.  I could be off base here but seems like a kid who needed his shooting to overcome some other deficiencies except he hasn't developed into a great shooter.
He's a guy who I would see tweeting cartoons during games when he didn't travel with the team early in his career so this isn't at all shocking to me.

Kinda/Sorta funny.  My question is not why Nate, Surge and Jacob transferred, it is (cough, cough) why they were recruited in the first place.  I know, I know, you have to look at the piece of clay and imagine the beautiful vase that can be constructed from it.

Edited by huskercwg

4 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Tarin was a bummer to lose but he doesn't hold a candle to Glynn... and wouldn't want a guy here who was always complaining about minutes.

Not sad about any of the guys who left outside of AWIII but think his leaving could be a blessing. Forces more of a team game and Andrew will be so focused on showing a certain skill to the NBA he might not be ideal moving forward for a team and growth.

White leaving is not a blessing.   We're an NCAA team with him

I would agree that we are a bubble team with AW3. Currently our starting 5 is solid. Throw in White that means we have a good starting 5 plus a really good 6th man. Throw in Gill and Roby once they get up to speed and that's a pretty darn good 8 man rotation. Throw in Jordy, Horne, and ET (not sure is he would be here if it wasn't for AW3) and we would be a deep, talented team.

But oh well. I still really like the team we have now. And it's gonna be a fun season to watch.

15 hours ago, nustudent said:

I agree that a committed to winning White makes this team better.  What are the odds given how much he was convinced that unless we catered more to hiding his weaknesses and enhancing his strengths that we would get a committed to winning teammate in White?  I don't know think we're talking the 2014 to 2015 Walt P difference that people are floating around here but there would have been some issue. 

I am not saying that white leaving makes us better. I am simply saying if we have a guy who is so focused on making the NBA so that all he does is sit in the corner and jack up 3's or is more focused on showing his NBA skill set that it could hurt the "team".

We saw that at times with TP where he forgot that he had teammates.

Now if we had a motivated White of course we are better but I want a guy who wants to win as a team and not just help his own personal stock.

4 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

I am not saying that white leaving makes us better. I am simply saying if we have a guy who is so focused on making the NBA so that all he does is sit in the corner and jack up 3's or is more focused on showing his NBA skill set that it could hurt the "team".

We saw that at times with TP where he forgot that he had teammates.

Now if we had a motivated White of course we are better but I want a guy who wants to win as a team and not just help his own personal stock.

I chuckle at this reasoning.   It's just a way to make us feel better about losing him.   One of the most successful college coaches of all time certainly didn't think it was an issue