Nana Akenten is 'N'

AuroranHusker

On 2/7/2017 at 11:16 PM, Norm Peterson said:

It wasn't really over the backboard. He was far enough towards the corner that he was beyond the backboard  toward the baseline. But the ball never really went over top of the backboard like the rule was intended to prevent. It was a bad call.

Not long after that, another player in another game made a similar shot but even closer to the backboard and it counted and it went in and it was on SportsCenter and it was supposed to be spectacular. Ours got waved off  because it would've given us the win and we were not supposed to win in Oklahoma.

Instead, the game went to a couple of overtimes and we collapsed in the final overtime and lost  by double digits because an Oklahoma point guard went and dunked the ball in the closing seconds as the Nebraska players were walking off the floor. I am still bitter about that one, can you tell? 

"The shot" at about 4:45.

Edited by hal9000

I was thinking today how big it would be for the Heartland Hoops Classic to try something a little different.  

How about bringing Down/Up the best recruit for Nebraskas team to play someone and the best recruit for Creightons team to play someone.  

EX would have been bringing in Nana's team to play someone from Nebby, and bringing Creightons best recruits team to play someone from Nebby.

Might appeal to both the high school and college crowds.

11 hours ago, hal9000 said:

"The shot" at about 18:35.

I came across this video a couple days ago. What a collection of talent "wasted". I forgot just how many pieces we had, lots of NBA talent. It was nice to see them recover after most players boycotted a practice that year, but I've always wondered "what if" with that team. An NIT title is okay, but those players had to be majorly disappointed. That team would be a B1G title contender this season.

Edited by jason2486

That team in 1995-96 was the last Big 8 Husker Hoops team. They were 16-5 and on a roll but then they lose 9 straight to finish the regular season. Settle for an N.I.T. berth, and yet, instead of folding like a tent, those players & coaches decide to 'work together' and go out & win the N.I.T. title after most of the games were on the road in the post-season. That team was loaded with high-level talent. Quite a few NBA guys, three of 'em playing 10+ years in the league. Opportunity lost on the Big Dance, for sure. That elusive win in the NCAA's was in 'em but the boycott et al cost them dearly...

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

To paraphrase Dean Smith (not the one on this board),  we have shooters, we need more makers!

Billy Tubbs was in his first year at OU when he was asked what playing style he hoped to put in the floor. His answer, "This year we're going to run and shoot. And next year we hope to run and make a few."

I watched the game with Simeon.  Simeon did a box and 1 between both teams you had at least at  5 Division 1 basketball players. Nana definitely has the leadership that Nebraska needs. A great off guard who will probably start out in our system as a small forward. Andrew White shooting ability if not better but can develop his own shot

• 4 weeks later...