Chadron St Vs. Nebraska Exh. Game Thread + Post Game

Bugeaters1

Roby 16 pts 7 reb 2 blk

Watson 4 pts 6 reb 6 ast (I don't know if Nebraska has ever had a triple double during the regular season, but he would be my candidate)

Nice win, but a lot of stuff to work on.  Free throw shooting seems to be very important.  Gill and Tai need to find some range from 3.

Missed the first half but here are some of my observations:

- Zay is a really really good basketball player.

- Our four sophomores will all be solid players minimum.

- Glynn let the game come to him, didn't force anything, and played like a true PG. 

- McVeigh will be a good shooter for us, hopefully he gets some help. Plus I'm just now realizing Jack has a little attitude with his game which I always appreciate.

- I love the front court combo of Morrow and Jacobson. That's a tough duo right there.

- Gill will be a good scoring option. However, I do not think he will have the impact that I was at first anticipating.

- Tai is our leader and I expect him to see another scoring increase.

- Horne can shoot the 3. Hopefully he can play good enough defense to stay on the floor.

- Jordy has the talent but he definitely is far from being Big Ten ready imo. Hopefully it was just first game jitters or just a bad game but fouling out against Chadron State is worrisome.

- I loved ET and I hated ET. He's aggressive and plays good defense. But turned the ball over way too much and if he's gonna be aggressive taking it to the rim, it would be a good idea to be able to make more of his FT.

- Looks like Fuller was out with his ankle injury.

We won by 50+ and nobody got hurt. So overall goobjob. I'm ready to play some games that count now! GBR

As in the scrimmage, it is truly hard to get a feeling about how good we really are.  We toyed with Chadron State.  Thumped them.  Beat them senseless.  Had our way with them.  Our seven freshmen and sophomores are in between being good and/or going to be really good.  Jordy needs an upper body and experience, but he will play valuable minutes for us. 

Here is the thing.  There has been a lot of years where we let really average teams challenge us in exhibitions and early season games.  I will go back to my original thought.  We blew this team out of the water.  We should have...and we did. 

Need to improve free throw shooting.  Need to improve the assist to turnover ratio.  Need to watch shot selection a bit.  Need to stay under control a bit more.  Yet, we are looking pretty good.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

Roby 16 pts 7 reb 2 blk

Watson 4 pts 6 reb 6 ast (I don't know if Nebraska has ever had a triple double during the regular season, but he would be my candidate)

Nice win, but a lot of stuff to work on.  Free throw shooting seems to be very important.  Gill and Tai need to find some range from 3.

I thought Brennon Clemmons had had a triple double in 2002-03. Just went back & checked, BC had 12 pts, 10 reb & 8 ast vs Baylor. Close but not quite...

My thoughts:

• I was surprised how big Roby is in person. I expected a lot and he delivered. The possession where he blocked a shot on one end and took it coast to coast for a dunk was impressive. The guy has huge hands. He grabbed the ball with one hand like it was no big deal. He's going to be special before he's done here. 
  • Horne has an even better shooting stroke than I thought. If he can play his way into the rotation he could be the 40%+ 3 point shooter we need
  • Taylor was better than I expected, needs to work on turnovers
  • Jordy was about what I expected. Does not look like he's 265 pounds though, carries it really well
  • Jack knocked down open 3's. need him to do that all year
  • Glynn looked smooth and in control
  • Jacobsen looked good, nothing really stood out but solid
  • Ed, or "Edward" as Miles yelled all night looked active and solid. Scored better than I expected
  • Tai looked good. Finished better than last year
  • Gill was ok, not lacking in confidence but off from 3 range.  Finishes well at the rim

Overall, it was exactly what it should have been. We blew out a lesser opponent. That said, I remember some of these in recent memory were closer than they should've been. This team has more talent and athleticism than I remember in a long time. Going to be fun to watch them develop. If they improve as much as I think they will, nobody will want to play them down the stretch. 

It it was great to be back in the Vault!!!

It it was great to be back in the Vault!!!

I had forgotten what a great arena PBA is!   (Even just looking at it on TV)

BTW, I thought the Student Announcers, Michael Snow & Parker ??? (Parker Cyza - didn't miss his last name- just didn't know how to spell it :Redface:), both did a GREAT Job on BTN Plus tonight.  :)   Some of the best student announcing I've seen (short of that Shively kid! ;))

It's obvious they did their homework well, knew all the players, and explained the action well (look out Kent :ph34r:

Edited by Red Don

My Top Thoughts:

• Roby did just about everything, brought the ball up, crashed the boards, finished strong, and knocked down shots. Gonna be incredibly fun to watch
  • Webster embraced the leadership roll and showed it on the court, finishing has definitely improved.
  • MJ and Ed's offseason gains showed inside. Ed looks like a bull in a China shop, but he looked smooth around the rim at the same time. 
  • Jeriah's jumper looked incredibly smooth and quick. If he improves on the defensive end, he'll be a sneaky good contributor. 
  • Jordy ran the floor very well, and looked pretty quick for his size. Foul trouble will be a problem for him all year, but fouling out against Chadron State is somewhat jaunting.
  • Evan Taylor had his wow moments and face palm moments. Ran the floor well, needs to fix turnovers. 6 is a bit much
  • This team could be 9 deep in rotation. The future is bright and we could definitely surprise some folks this year. Definitely not a 12th place in the league team.