Tuesday, Nov 1 Scrimmage

hhcmatt

I wasn't at the scrimmage so I only know what I read but I do have a couple questions for those of you who were there:

1. The teams for the second part of the scrimmage were announced via the Nebraska bball twitter page. What were the teams for the first part?

2. Did Fuller and the walkons particpate? I already know Ed was out due to illness. The teams that were announced were each 5 players but I didn't know if those were just the "starters" or if they are the only ones who played.

3. Who and what stood out? Both good and bad.

Also, I found it interesting that the Red team (3 frosh, Glynn, Palmer) won the second half and OT over the more experienced White team. Hopefully that means are freshmen are really good!

Random takes on what I saw:

I liked our half court offense, which was against a primarily (if not exclusively) man-to-man zone.  Lots of high screen and rolls, and we actually looked to pass to the screener off the roll sometimes.  Our guard play is solid.  Lots of drive penetrations, and either take the shot, or kick out to an open three in the corner or on the wings, or drop it off to a low post player.  Players put themselves in good position to be open for the 3 point kick-out.  I don't think the three ball will be our specialty this year, but it looks like Jack McVeigh is going be a solid three point threat.  

Boy it will be nice to have Jordy in there this year.  He's going to give you defense and rebounds if nothing else, but you can see he knows what to do with it when he gets it down low.  I didn't see a lot from Gill tonight, although there was one spin-drive and score he had that was smooth as silk.  I think he was like 0-5 from three, and frankly they weren't all that close.  I'm sure he can hit it, but his game will be closer to the basket.  

Liked what I saw from Horne, he can hit the three ball, and he looks a lot stronger and more fit than I thought.  Roby played smart, let the game come to him.  Watson looks even better.  He's going to be huge for us this year.  Him and Tai will be our floor leaders this year.  

Hard to find anything negative to say.  Here are some thoughts :

*  Tai looked pretty smooth.  You can tell he is a senior.  He showed he can still take it to the right...but can he go left.  Jury is still out.

*  MJ is much bigger.  He actually looked good on one dribble drive.  He played most of the night against Jordy because...

*  Ed was mia.

*  Nick show nothing new.  He will be a glue type player.

*  Glynn was present and played okay, nothing really stood out.

*  Jack was chatty,  he was also shooting lights out.  Excellent to see because we need that shooter.

*  Zay is still rusty.  No question.  But oh boy, this kid has talent.  When he rounds into shape we are going to love this kid.  His upper body is great.  Is he still growing?  He is at least 6'8".

*  Jordy has a good lower half but his upper body is likely a year away.  That said he will play a lot of quality minutes for us.  Man,  he is gifted.

*  Horne was one of two good surprises for my group.  I won't say who was sitting to my right side but we were giggling like school girls when watching him.  I swear he is not the same player we recruited.

*  my second big surprise was Evan.  The dude is a playa.  

*  Gill looked rusty.  

No clue as to the starters.  I could easily see various rotations at the beginning of the year.  I would suggest that Tai will be a starter.  Perhaps the others will be MJ, Glynn...and then who knows.  May I add that Zay won two of three jump balls.  When he went against MJ, MJ won the jump.

There you have it.  I was very happy with what I witnessed tonight.  And the CUBS are up 7-0

Edited by huskercwg

You just about can't help but be encouraged by watching Jordy go 5-6 from the floor and pull down 8 rebounds.  He has a lot to learn yet, but he's going to be a very good one before too long.  He has good hands and is very creative with the ball when he gets it in deep.  Good footwork, good touch, fantastic size.  Looked lost at times, but he's a true frosh without a real game under his belt yet.  He did things tonight you never saw from Jake Hammond.

Glynn didn't score much if at all but dished 6 assists (mostly to Jack McVeigh) to one turnover.  Tai looks like he's ready to build off of last year.  Speaking of McVeigh, Andrew who?

This recruiting class looked damn solid and I'm convinced there's not a stiff among them.  Was downright giddy watching Jeriah Horne.  Holy smokes that kid got game.  And any worry that Evan Taylor was a wasted scholarship just trying to fill a spot should have been laid to rest.  He might not be a great shooter, but he's probably the backup point right now, plays more than adequate defense, and appears to be able to score well enough to force a defense to guard him.

Even with the loss of Shields and White, I think we're better than a year ago.  Was very encouraged by what I saw tonight.  Very encouraged.

Edited by Norm Peterson

15 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Jeriah looks good from three.  And he's not bashful about taking that shot.  And a nice floater too.

Said it after I got to watch him at the State Tournament last year, at least I think I said it, I think Horne is going to surprise people in a very good way.

Funny moment yesterday at the end of the last scrimmage.  He put Watson on the line to shoot a free throw.  Watson missed so the Red team had to do pushups.  Miles got down with them and did one push-up.  Then someone in the audience yelled, "C'mon coach, you can do more than that!"  And Miles, said "Hey, I did two push-ups earlier!"

1 hour ago, khoock said:

When Roby and Horne were teamed up for the second half and extra period who played which position? Just curious.

Sort of hard to define.  Roby at times appeared to run the point, but he literally can play anywhere on the court.  I am not kidding, he has built his upper body, he seems to have range, he can play back to the basket and he can drive to the basket.  HE IS NOT in basketball shape yet.  So he will be a work in progress, he should be a key contributor in spurts early on but will likely play more as the season progresses.

Horne appears to be a wing.  He slashed to the basket on a couple of occasions and looked to have good range.  When he was recruited, I thought he would be a PF.  Nope. 

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

Horne appears to be a wing.  He slashed to the basket on a couple of occasions and looked to have good range.  When he was recruited, I thought he would be a PF.  Nope. 

His game is fairly similar to Shavon Shields, except Jeriah has better range.

Edited by AuroranHusker