2016-17 Big Ten Media Day - October 13th

AuroranHusker

This is a good one to listen to.

Also, Morrow is going against Jordy during practice and "Jacobson has moved from the 5 to the 4".

That's what stuck out to me as well...confirming MJ is going to be the man at the 4.  So our starting lineup looks like 1. Watson 2. Gill 3. Tai 4. MJ 5. Morrow?

This is a good one to listen to.

Also, Morrow is going against Jordy during practice and "Jacobson has moved from the 5 to the 4".

That's what stuck out to me as well...confirming MJ is going to be the man at the 4.  So our starting lineup looks like 1. Watson 2. Gill 3. Tai 4. MJ 5. Morrow?

To start out the season, probably.

I have no idea what to expect from this years team.  I will say, from everything you read, see, the guys seem to really bond well together.  That alone can go a long ways in a successful year.  We definitely lack that experience, but at the same time, in this day in age, a LOT of team tend to be young due to transfers, early departures to play pro ball of some kind. 

My hope is this team plays with a huge chip on their shoulder.  Nobody is talking about them, nobody thinks they will be any good.  I think athletically NU is better than we have been for several years.  My one worry this year is how we will score.  I think NU has the chance to be much better defensively this year.  Especially with a big man in the middle to hold down the paint.  Add in the weight gain by Jacobson and Morrow and I think we should be a much improved defensive team. 

I LOVE Watson.  Think he will be a stud when all is said and done.  Ice in his veins type kid.  Fearless.  Tai will be good for us this year.  He showed great improvement last year.  Gill is an unknown simply because you never know what you will get from a transfer.  If he can fit in the way Pitch, TP and White did, he will do great.  McVeigh I am hoping is that guy that can open up driving lanes with his shooting.  He's also a very "smart IQ" guy. 

The freshman look good on paper, but until we see them play we don't know.  I think Roby physically has a chance to do very well this year.  Just hope he stays healthy.

I'm excited for this year.  I like that nobody thinks we will be any good.  Takes pressure off the young guys and makes them hungry to prove people wrong.  I think it will be a very interesting year.  Being young, I'm sure we will look great on some nights and not so great on other nights.  But I see this team getting better and better as the year goes on and I think they will fight like hell for one another. 

Experience is greatly overrated in college basketball, especially if the player is gifted.  Experience allows you to build on skills, it allows you to better understand the nuances of the game, it allows you to build your body and it allows you to meld into the college experience. 

Many of the top flight players of today are graduates of AAU programs.  They are used to being away from home for extended periods of time.  They have had individual coaching and those coaches work on the players game and body.  Where experience may help is with the one, two and possibly some three star kids.  They may need to have the first two years of college to catch up, so to speak.

We now have players that evolve from the former.  In the past, many of our players were from the latter group.  We are going to be better than fine this year.  Expect the unexpected.  ;)

I have no idea what to expect from this years team. I will say, from everything you read, see, the guys seem to really bond well together. That alone can go a long ways in a successful year. We definitely lack that experience, but at the same time, in this day in age, a LOT of team tend to be young due to transfers, early departures to play pro ball of some kind.

My hope is this team plays with a huge chip on their shoulder. Nobody is talking about them, nobody thinks they will be any good. I think athletically NU is better than we have been for several years. My one worry this year is how we will score. I think NU has the chance to be much better defensively this year. Especially with a big man in the middle to hold down the paint. Add in the weight gain by Jacobson and Morrow and I think we should be a much improved defensive team.

I LOVE Watson. Think he will be a stud when all is said and done. Ice in his veins type kid. Fearless. Tai will be good for us this year. He showed great improvement last year. Gill is an unknown simply because you never know what you will get from a transfer. If he can fit in the way Pitch, TP and White did, he will do great. McVeigh I am hoping is that guy that can open up driving lanes with his shooting. He's also a very "smart IQ" guy.

The freshman look good on paper, but until we see them play we don't know. I think Roby physically has a chance to do very well this year. Just hope he stays healthy.

I'm excited for this year. I like that nobody thinks we will be any good. Takes pressure off the young guys and makes them hungry to prove people wrong. I think it will be a very interesting year. Being young, I'm sure we will look great on some nights and not so great on other nights. But I see this team getting better and better as the year goes on and I think they will fight like hell for one another.

Experience is greatly overrated in college basketball, especially if the player is gifted. Experience allows you to build on skills, it allows you to better understand the nuances of the game, it allows you to build your body and it allows you to meld into the college experience.

Many of the top flight players of today are graduates of AAU programs. They are used to being away from home for extended periods of time. They have had individual coaching and those coaches work on the players game and body. Where experience may help is with the one, two and possibly some three star kids. They may need to have the first two years of college to catch up, so to speak.

We now have players that evolve from the former. In the past, many of our players were from the latter group. We are going to be better than fine this year. Expect the unexpected. ;)

Are you suggesting that past Nebraska players did not play for AAU programs? I find that hard to believe.

I have no idea what to expect from this years team. I will say, from everything you read, see, the guys seem to really bond well together. That alone can go a long ways in a successful year. We definitely lack that experience, but at the same time, in this day in age, a LOT of team tend to be young due to transfers, early departures to play pro ball of some kind.

My hope is this team plays with a huge chip on their shoulder. Nobody is talking about them, nobody thinks they will be any good. I think athletically NU is better than we have been for several years. My one worry this year is how we will score. I think NU has the chance to be much better defensively this year. Especially with a big man in the middle to hold down the paint. Add in the weight gain by Jacobson and Morrow and I think we should be a much improved defensive team.

I LOVE Watson. Think he will be a stud when all is said and done. Ice in his veins type kid. Fearless. Tai will be good for us this year. He showed great improvement last year. Gill is an unknown simply because you never know what you will get from a transfer. If he can fit in the way Pitch, TP and White did, he will do great. McVeigh I am hoping is that guy that can open up driving lanes with his shooting. He's also a very "smart IQ" guy.

The freshman look good on paper, but until we see them play we don't know. I think Roby physically has a chance to do very well this year. Just hope he stays healthy.

I'm excited for this year. I like that nobody thinks we will be any good. Takes pressure off the young guys and makes them hungry to prove people wrong. I think it will be a very interesting year. Being young, I'm sure we will look great on some nights and not so great on other nights. But I see this team getting better and better as the year goes on and I think they will fight like hell for one another.

Experience is greatly overrated in college basketball, especially if the player is gifted. Experience allows you to build on skills, it allows you to better understand the nuances of the game, it allows you to build your body and it allows you to meld into the college experience.

Many of the top flight players of today are graduates of AAU programs. They are used to being away from home for extended periods of time. They have had individual coaching and those coaches work on the players game and body. Where experience may help is with the one, two and possibly some three star kids. They may need to have the first two years of college to catch up, so to speak.

We now have players that evolve from the former. In the past, many of our players were from the latter group. We are going to be better than fine this year. Expect the unexpected. ;)

Are you suggesting that past Nebraska players did not play for AAU programs? I find that hard to believe.

AAU programs are much more prevalent today then they were in the past.  Some AAU programs are much stronger or a higher level program than others.  Individual coaching/mentoring outside of high school participation is much more common today than in the past.  Top level players come into college programs today much better prepared for the college game than in the past. 

There certainly are a number of players, who end up as great players, who take two or three years of college experience in order to develop.  The point I was attempting to make is that our past rosters tended to have more players that needed two to three years to develop before they could fully contribute.  Our current roster seems to have players who are more game ready from the "get go".

So, this guy returned from Media Day in D.C. and wrote a thing...

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/10/big_ten_basketball_predictions.html#0

Nebraska at 14 and Iowa at 6? LOL!!!!

So, this guy returned from Media Day in D.C. and wrote a thing...

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/10/big_ten_basketball_predictions.html#0

Nebraska at 14 and Iowa at 6? LOL!!!!

On paper as of today I can see how you can put Nebraska in the 12-14 range this coming year. But doing the same thing for Iowa and seeing their returning starters (lack thereof) it's laughable to have them at 6.

The rankings I found laughable were Illinois at #12 and Purdue at #11.  I mean, you can't argue with any spot Nebraska gets placed in since they're such an enigma this year, but Illinois and Purdue are set up nicely to have pretty strong years.

What a joke.

The rankings I found laughable were Illinois at #12 and Purdue at #11.  I mean, you can't argue with any spot Nebraska gets placed in since they're such an enigma this year, but Illinois and Purdue are set up nicely to have pretty strong years.

What a joke.

Purdue fans were ripping the guy quite a bit on twitter.

I thought the guy's commentary on placing Rutgers atop Nebraska was also hilarious.  :rolleyes: